2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Best car covers?

Search this Thread

Old 4/11/07, 09:18 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Best car covers?

I am looking for a high quality car cover that won't scratch up the finish. I don't plan to park it outside or in the wind; it will be sitting in a garage.

Does anyone have any leads?
Old 4/11/07, 09:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let me chime in here also.
I am looking for a car cover that won't scratch the finish.
I DO plan on parking it 24/7 outside.
So one that allows the water to evaporate would be good.
I have the antenna delete, so it would not have to have a antenna provision.
FWIW, I did a search and could not find a thread, but if there is one, please insert the link.
Old 4/11/07, 09:40 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Rev: Sounds good to me. One that works well outdoors 24/7/365 would work well indoors as well. I still have my whip antenna, so the cover has to accommodate that monstrosity (I wish Ford would integrate the radio antenna into the rear defroster like they did on my Crown Vic).
Old 4/11/07, 10:13 AM
GT Member

i have a covercraft one, I love it. real nice.
Old 4/11/07, 10:33 AM
Cobra Member

http://www.calcarcover.com/

They have different kinds to choose from. Indoor and outdoor. I've had mine since the first week I had my car and absolutely love it. Great quality to fit your needs.
Old 4/11/07, 12:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Dave, I am looking at the Noah or the Stormweave from that site. Opinions?
Old 4/11/07, 12:42 PM
Cobra Member

I've had great success with Noah. Basically any cover that uses Evolution fabric would be good. The Evolution fabric is like magic. The key to no scratching is to be certain the car is 100% clean before putting the cover on. ANY cover will scratch if the car is dirty. I used to do a quick wipe down with instant detailer to make sure all was well. If you're going to park outside, buy a cable so you can secure it. You'd be surprised how little wind it takes to blow a cover off.
Old 4/11/07, 01:20 PM
Cobra Member

I have the stormweave. It's nice. My car is outside 95% of the time, and is water resistant.

I will agree with the scratching. You have to keep your car clean to use it. If I don't end up covering it for a day, then I have to wash my car again before using the cover. It might be overboard, but I don't want to take any chances.

I don't use a cable for mine. I have never had the cover come off from the wind. I live near the beach, so I get a lot of wind at home. And at work, my assigned park is on the top level of a parking structure, so there is a lot of wind up there also. Still, with no problems. The bottom of the cover has elastic that holds it pretty securely.
Old 4/11/07, 05:09 PM
Bullitt Member

I have a California Car Cover "Plushweave" for inside garage storage. It's nice and thick and is flannel soft on the inside. Only downside is it leaves lint on the black cloth top, even after I washed the cover. If you don't have a vert, then it's not an issue.
Old 4/11/07, 05:26 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by freebass55
I have the stormweave. It's nice. My car is outside 95% of the time, and is water resistant.

I will agree with the scratching. You have to keep your car clean to use it. If I don't end up covering it for a day, then I have to wash my car again before using the cover. It might be overboard, but I don't want to take any chances.

I don't use a cable for mine. I have never had the cover come off from the wind. I live near the beach, so I get a lot of wind at home. And at work, my assigned park is on the top level of a parking structure, so there is a lot of wind up there also. Still, with no problems. The bottom of the cover has elastic that holds it pretty securely.
Yeah, the covers that have decent elastic work really well. The cover for my SN95 Cobra only had elastic in the front and back that didn't really pull it in too tight. If we had a gusty thunderstorm (>40 MPH winds) it would occasionally blow off.
Old 4/11/07, 06:38 PM
GT Member

I have also been looking and live in Ct. Outside 24/7.
The best I've seen so far are:
Weathershield
and Weathershield HD

Do a search on them (covercraft has them).
One is softer and lets water in according to reviews.
The other is heavy duty and may scracth, so its a toss up...
Old 4/11/07, 07:04 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ford has on that is made by CAL Car Cover and can be had here. Very nice and is what i have.

Scroll down a bit on the page below.

http://www.partscheap.com/mustangaccessories05.htm

Richard
Old 4/12/07, 06:59 AM
V6 Member

I've been using the Stormweave on my cars for the last 20 years (6 different cars) and really like them. They are a little bulky, but are very plush, fully UV protective and keep the rain off well, and less than $200. I always either rinse or wash my car every time before I put the cover on and if the cover is very dusty, shake it out before I put it away. Never a single scratch from the cover. As an asside, I would never leave the cover on for more than a week or so without removing and rewashing the car, as some dust/dirt will work its way through or under the cover - they are not airtight. The cable is good insurance form blow-offs, which has only happened once or twice, which can happen when someone you don't know or see, lifts a corner of the cover to see what's underneath and doesn't put it back right - maybe just an NYC thing?
Old 4/12/07, 10:00 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a nice Noah cover but I rarely get to use it. For reasons mentioned previously (post #7), I too don't want to put my cover on a dirty car. Since my car is a daily driver and parked outside, the only time it's really clean is immediately following a wash. So If your car is a daily driver and rarely clean, you might end up with a cover that you rarely use.