2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

baby seat in the back of a 06 stang?

Search this Thread

Old 1/5/06, 09:23 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by Rebel73@January 5, 2006, 2:20 PM
As for the safety of the Stang's back seat, I'm sure it is similar to that of vehicles of similar size. I'm sure if my gf's Saturn had been hit like that, the results would have been similar.

I'm putting my 2.5yo back there and he loves it. No problem. It's a slight contortion act to get him in there, but once in, he's fine.

Of course, THIS is where he prefers to ride...
Hey Rob has he not found out how to raise the seat to be able to see ? I let mine drive in a hugh lot he sat between my legs and I let him steer , so he'd know just incase I have a ticker alert one day. Nice picture btw. Ed
Old 1/6/06, 11:24 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I sure hope a car seat fits. I just found out I am 6 1/2 weeks pregnant!!!

We are so happy. .........

Guess the summer car shows are out of the question.......
Old 1/6/06, 11:29 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by PonyGirl@January 6, 2006, 10:27 AM

Congrats!
Old 1/6/06, 02:02 PM
9 is not my lucky number.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by scramblr@January 4, 2006, 12:19 PM
Dustin, Dustin, Dustin This thread is about kid seats. Shame on you. :nono:
It's that kind of thinkin' that makes us have kid seats in the first place
Old 1/6/06, 08:54 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by PonyGirl@January 6, 2006, 2:27 PM

don't let the baby stop you!!
Old 1/7/06, 10:16 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Wow that is really great news and I also am happy that you are happy ! Will it be a boy or a girl ? humm member lottery 1/2 baby 1/4 winner 1/4 for TMS site maintenace I'll contribute if it were ever approved ! Ed
Old 1/26/06, 11:55 AM
Banned

Thanks Ed......that sounds nice. We wont know if it is a boy or girl until mid to late Mach.

I do plan on keeping my mustang GT and even entering a few shows this summer if I feel up to it. I had such a great time with the shows and my local mustang club, that i would miss it a lot if I didnt do it again this summer.

Still trying to add some fresh mods to the stang for summer while I still have the extra cash...god knows there wont be anything "extra" after the baby comes.

Thanks to everyone, we are very excited......
Old 1/26/06, 03:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Congrats on the baby! If it's a girl, will you name her "Sally"?
Boy-Boss...no,Mach..no, maybe give him GT for initials. Anyway, enjoy that kid!
Old 6/26/06, 05:17 PM
V6 Member

Last weekend, my gf's brother asked us to take his 3yo son to his grandparents for the weekend, a two way 165 miles drive (total).
So I turned to the forum to see what tips I could get in installing a Kid's seat in the back of my 2005 Mustang GT.

Best tip I could find was about the fact that you should get some kind of protection for the seats (I have the leather option).

And after some research, it pretty much came down to very little choice in products. But I did come up with an excellent Kids Seats & Accessories manufacturer that sells products in a wide variety of stores & online stores, so I thought I'd share.

So here are some products I would recommend to anyone installing a child seat in the back of their car:
http://www.skjp.com/Pages/stuffnscuff1.html
and one of the following:
http://www.skjp.com/Pages/gripit1.html
http://www.skjp.com/Pages/supermat1.html
http://www.skjp.com/Pages/ultramat1.html

where to buy:http://www.skjp.com/Pages/wheretobuy.html

I found that the only downside in installing a kid's seat in the back, was that the seat's top security strap squished the back seat's integrated headrest.

Hope this helps
Old 6/28/06, 07:33 AM
GT Member

Does anyone have a car seat like the one in the link below that has a sort of permanent base on the bottom? If so, do they fit in the back of the Mustang width-wise? All of our seats are very similar to the one below and fit in the Mazda6 and Explorer just fine right now and since they're all fairly new, and pricey, I'd rather not have to buy new seats for the Mustang. Won't stop me from getting one in a few months though.

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...sin=B00009SS6A
Old 6/28/06, 12:08 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by baggs32
Does anyone have a car seat like the one in the link below that has a sort of permanent base on the bottom? If so, do they fit in the back of the Mustang width-wise? All of our seats are very similar to the one below and fit in the Mazda6 and Explorer just fine right now and since they're all fairly new, and pricey, I'd rather not have to buy new seats for the Mustang. Won't stop me from getting one in a few months though.
For some reason, that doesn't look like a good idea.
The standard width seat I used fitted just right on the center part of one of the back seats, couldn't have been any wider though. Your kids seats look like they're going to be too wide & will risk damaging your back seat.

Also, I'm 6'-0" tall and wouldn't have fitted the child seat behind the driver's seat either, because there wouldn't have been enough "kicking" room for the kid (although there's enough room for a non kicking passenger there). If your passenger isn't 6'-0" or more, it should be OK though, given you still use some kind of seat protection for the back side of the front seat.

If you don't have the Mustang yet, is there a way for you to try it out at your dealership?

(notice the 2 grey dots on each seat? those indicate where to attach the kid's seat tethers. there is an opening in the stitching at that place in order to reach behind for the hooks.)

Old 6/28/06, 01:34 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Harlock
For some reason, that doesn't look like a good idea.
The standard width seat I used fitted just right on the center part of one of the back seats, couldn't have been any wider though. Your kids seats look like they're going to be too wide & will risk damaging your back seat.

Also, I'm 6'-0" tall and wouldn't have fitted the child seat behind the driver's seat either, because there wouldn't have been enough "kicking" room for the kid (although there's enough room for a non kicking passenger there). If your passenger isn't 6'-0" or more, it should be OK though, given you still use some kind of seat protection for the back side of the front seat.

If you don't have the Mustang yet, is there a way for you to try it out at your dealership?

(notice the 2 grey dots on each seat? those indicate where to attach the kid's seat tethers. there is an opening in the stitching at that place in order to reach behind for the hooks.)

I'm not worried about damaging the seats because there are some pretty good seat protectors out there to prevent that. The seats in our former '05 Escape Limited (perforated leather) held up fine for two years with the seat on them so I have faith that the harder vinyl coverings in the Mustang will hold up.

What I am concerned about is the width of the seat between the two "humps" on either side. Anyone know the measurement of the flat parts of the seat? I don't want the car seat suspended in mid air between the two "humps. Then again I used to lay on the rear package shelf of my parent's old Ford Torino when I was a kid and our car seats were laundry baskets.

I too am 6' tall and one of the boys (one will be 1 and the other 3 when I get the car) will have to be behind me so I guess I'll take the seats to the dealer to make sure one of them can be back there. Wife is 5'8" so it shouldn't be a problem on that side. I won't be ordering until late December as my Mazda6 lease is up in March of '07 so I have plenty of time to research I guess.

Anyone have pics of their car seats in the back of the Mustang or at least links to seats that are similar to the models you have back there?
Old 6/28/06, 01:41 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by baggs32
...Anyone know the measurement of the flat parts of the seat?...
Hello Baggs,

That seat's part is 12¼" wide at the rear folding part & 12½" wide at the front edge.

Hope this helps
Old 6/28/06, 09:08 PM
Team Mustang Source

Here's the best I could do with my crappy camera. My wife is due in about nine weeks. Our in-laws were kind enough to buy us a car seat and let us have it now so we could practice with it. It's a Graco Safe Seat, Step 1 rear facing seat. You can get it from Target or Amazon.

My wife researched it and picked it out, but really with no consideration of whether it would fit the Mustang. She has a Santa Fe and plenty of room, and doing most of the transporting. But I will have to transport some of the time so I've been test fitting it the last couple of days.

I'm not sure any other rear facing seat would be any different, but it's going to be miserable for anyone larger than 5'9" in the passenger seat. Both the base and the top of the canopy/handle stick out pretty far into the back of the passenger seat. Without the base it is even worse, as the canopy/handle are even lower into the passenger seat, requiring it to move up towards the dash even more.

If any of you stumble onto something better for the Mustang, let me know.
Attached Thumbnails baby seat in the back of a 06 stang?-p6280390.jpg   baby seat in the back of a 06 stang?-p6280391.jpg   baby seat in the back of a 06 stang?-p6280392.jpg   baby seat in the back of a 06 stang?-p6280394.jpg   baby seat in the back of a 06 stang?-p6280395.jpg  

Old 6/29/06, 07:20 AM
GT Member

I think you're right about any rear facing seat Buzzy. They just aren't going to fit well and I'm glad I don't have to worry about that when the time comes. I've never seen a small rear facing seat but those carriers are worth every penny and bit of space they take up. Especially in a car like the Mustang where you'd have to bend like a pretzel to strap a kid into a permanent rear facing seat. Ouch!