2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Is anyone else concerned about the quality

Search this Thread

Old 10/1/04, 08:43 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The bottom line is when ever you buy a new redesigned car, you are at a higher risk of buying something that might have minor or major problems. I don't care if its Ford, GM or Honda! Thats the way it is!

These cars are made by the thousands. Many, many parts are outsourced to companies all around the country. Its foolish to think you are going to get a 100% perfect car. The longer you wait to buy, the better.

Don't get me wrong, I want this car to sell, but I want to hear all problems too, before I buy mine!
Old 10/1/04, 09:39 AM
Mach 1 Member

The bottom line is when ever you buy a new redesigned car, you are at a higher risk of buying something that might have minor or major problems. I don't care if its Ford, GM or Honda! Thats the way it is!
I can't say thats true for all cars, but I bought the first order of the 2002 Chevy Trailblazer....so many recalls and replacements, not to mention the transmission being replaces, electrical problems, and the infamous engine tick...and for only 35 grand...

I will never buy a first year car again.....ever

Give it a year and let the compnaies get things right...The people who have already bought their 05's I hope Ford got it right the first time!

Old 10/1/04, 10:09 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
When we get the FIRST complaint from well over 1000 new F-series owners we have put on the roads here, Maybe I will worry about it.........
Old 10/1/04, 10:15 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Super Sonic Blue Mustang@September 30, 2004, 9:35 AM

See the quality assured from someone that owns a 500 and his only complaint is that he can't feel the tranny shifting, that is good because the transmission is smooth and of good quality. If yoyu want Honda quality then your car will rust out around the wheel wells like every old accord I have seen. The quality of the 05 Mustang is going to be better then the previous Mustangs but that is good. My Dad has a 96 Mustang GT and the car is perfect with 70,000 plus miles on it and if it were not for the great looking new Mustang coming out he would keep is 96.

Quality also has to due with the customer taking care of his/her car and makes sure that they due all the proper maintenence with the oil changes, washing and waxing etc. and with doing this it doesn't matter what car make you drive,

You people complaining already about quality need to relax and wait until you get to drive this Mustang, if you don't and get a Honda you will be regreting it when you see it. Honda is no Mustang.
The 500 motor mounts and crossmember strut brace it attatches to is enormous(about 6 times larger then a steeda strut brace for a Mustang-its 3" in diameter!. Of course the CVT has no feeling, but the 6 speed auto is from the Toureg, a $60,000 car, so it had better be smooth.

There is a quite a strange phenom with import owners where I will trade in an 80k mile civic base model and the owner has EVERY service record for over $2500 in 'routine' maintenence when I have customers here that buy $35,000 American minivans and dont come in for 7000 miles for thier first oil change

It takes time for perception to catch up with 'mythilogical' levels of overrating imports by the press.
Old 10/1/04, 04:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by 1meanZ@October 1, 2004, 8:06 AM
I was wondering if they would accept a "less than perfect" Mustang just to have one.
Thats fairly subjective. What is less than perfect to you may be perfect for me. I have had co-workers, relatives complain about things with their cars and I look at them and don't understand what they are female ******* about. They the quality of an $75,000 Mercedes in the $15,000 Kia they just bought.

They're not perfect, they never will be. Parts break, parts are manufactured out of tolerance sometimes, the tools they use to assemble cars occasionally act up and a bolt might not get torqued right. On the GTO forum people complained about some cars had problems with a mounting of the rear differential, that it would clunk on hard acceleration. There was a TSB on it and they replaced a bushing. Some people got so bent out of shape that there was a problem with the car that they were talking about selling it. Its not like they werent' going to fix it, it just took some time to get the parts to do it. They could still drive the car, it wasn't a serious problem, it was more of an annoyance, yet some people were just agonizing over it.
Old 10/1/04, 06:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by 1meanZ@October 1, 2004, 8:06 AM
First of all, to dismiss me as a troll may have been a bit premature. Being employed in the automotive industry, I'm positive I have much more first hand knowledge of both the Mustang launch and the Five Hundred launch than 99% of the people here. The Five Hundred I sat in at the dealer was sent back to the factory in Chicago to have the quality concerns addressed. My only question is how it left the factory in the first place to be displayed at a Ford dealer. The situation has been corrected, but how many people saw the same lemon I did before that? As my profile shows, I own a '01 Lightning so I'm hardly a Ford basher. I think Ford is making huge strides in quality but after looking at that particular Five Hundred, I got flashbacks to the Nasser days. BTW, I have sat in numerous pre production '05 stangs and driven a V6 auto. The quality was top notch, but these were cars Ford did go over with a fine tooth comb. If the production versions are even close to what I have seen, Ford will have a winner. My original thread was geared for people that have already ordered their Mustang. I was wondering if they would accept a "less than perfect" Mustang just to have one.
Judging from the below quote I saw on this board, I would answer "yes" to your last sentence above.

"I'd sit on an egg crate with a Charmin seat, looking at a paper mache` dashboard as long as I get my MUSTANG."

And therein lies the problem.
Old 10/1/04, 08:28 PM
Team Mustang Source

Dont forget that Toyota and Honda have just as many service bays per total monthly sold units as any other dealer.