2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Another injured stang :(

Search this Thread

Old 10/11/05, 01:38 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's your fault. You made the turn when that car was obviously way too close. Be prepared to be reemed by your insurance agent.
Old 10/12/05, 06:22 AM
Team Mustang Source

Ok here is the deal. I understand I might have messed up to a certain extent. Now too close is relative to how fast he was going. The police saw it first hand but had no way to officially judge his speed. The police never wrote me a ticket or charged me with anything. They didn't give him anything either but I did watch a cop chew him out for a few minutes. Which wouldn't seem right if they really thought it was "my fault". They were very nice to me throughout the process so it does make me feel like it wasn't all on me. Just my take but as I've said before I'll see how it turns out. I hope that both he and I will be able to get back to the way things were prior to the accident. I just don't want this to be a case where someone gets rich off of someone else. I know that I've learned a lot already from the experience and it will make me a better driver in the future.
Old 10/12/05, 06:32 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by adrenalin@October 11, 2005, 11:28 AM
Murray, sorry to hear what happened. I do find it odd that the officer didn't fill out a report. Anyway, hard to say if the guy was drinking or not, but I am sure the cop would have caught onto that if he was. Unfortunately, since you did turn in front of him I think the liability rests on your shoulders. Hopefully you can get a statement from the officer regarding his thoughts on the guys speed however, I am sure in court it will be dismissed because there is no proof that he was speeding. The guy might not be injured but then again he could be. I know someone that was rearended 16 years ago. She got out of the car, exchanged information, etc. 3 days later she ended up in the hospital and for 2 years had to wear a plastic torso brace to align her spine. She received whiplash and the swelling in her lower back caused her some serious pain due to the pressure on the nerves.

I'm sorry but you are making more and more excuses as to why it is the other guys fault. Seriously, you say "It was raining extremely hard so the guy had no chance to stop when he realized I was turning (probably playing with his radio)". Come on. Playing with his radio, speeding and possibly had been drinking. So, other than making the turn, in front of an oncoming car during a rain shower, what else were you doing?

Not trying to flame you here, just trying to figure out why you don't think you are to blame.
I don't remember saying anything about him drinking but if I did then forgive me. The accident did happen in a party district but I don't think he was. I'm also a pretty good judge of how long it takes me to complete a turn and distance of an oncoming car. With that said I've played it through my head thousands of times and of course know I could have and should have done things differently. I'm pretty mad at myself more then anything. I have tons of friends and family to beat myself up around so I figured I didn't need to do that here as well.
Old 10/12/05, 08:20 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Adam2004@October 11, 2005, 1:41 PM
It's your fault. You made the turn when that car was obviously way too close. Be prepared to be reemed by your insurance agent.
Ok here is the deal. I understand I messed up to a certain extent. Now too close is relative to how fast he was going. The police saw it first hand but had no way to officially judge his speed. The police never wrote me a ticket or charged me with anything. They didn't do anything to him but I did watch a cop chew him out for a few minutes. They were very nice to me throughout the process so it does make me feel like it wasn't all on me. Just my take but as I've said before I'll see how it turns out. I hope that both he and I will be able to get back to the way things were prior to the accident. I just don't want this to be a case where someone gets rich off of someone else.
Old 10/12/05, 04:26 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you have the Officers info you might have your insurance agent get his take on the accident since there is no report to look at. It might help since the officer felt he needed to chew him out for something.
Old 10/12/05, 05:09 PM

Here's the part I don't get. According to the picture you got hit in the passenger side (right side) of the car making a turn.

If you were making a left turn then you would be crossing a lane and he would've been coming the other way which would've hit you in the drivers side.

If you made a right turn then you aren't crossing any lanes so was the guy in his left lane which would've been the one you were turning into? If so then it seems that he would've hit more of the front side, not the back passenger side like in the picture.

Or were you going straight which is the only way it would make sense, but I think I remember you saying you were turning, but I forget.

EDIT:

Nevermind, I get it now. I left out a possibility I later thought of that explains it all. Sorry
Old 10/12/05, 05:25 PM

I am a police officer in Mass :cop2:. Based on your description of the accident you are 100% at fault. Even if the other driver was speeding, which is unlikely based on the damaged to your vehicle, the accident occured because you failed to yield the right of way. I still dont understand why the officer did not complete an accident report. Here in Mass. we are required by law to complete an accident report when ever the damage to one or both of the vehicles is in excess of $500.00 and the accident occured on a public way. My guess is the officer was a bit lazy and did not feel like doing his job.
Old 10/12/05, 09:42 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by auto4@October 12, 2005, 5:28 PM
I am a police officer in Mass :cop2:. Based on your description of the accident you are 100% at fault. Even if the other driver was speeding, which is unlikely based on the damaged to your vehicle, the accident occured because you failed to yield the right of way. I still dont understand why the officer did not complete an accident report. Here in Mass. we are required by law to complete an accident report when ever the damage to one or both of the vehicles is in excess of $500.00 and the accident occured on a public way. My guess is the officer was a bit lazy and did not feel like doing his job.

Exactly...