2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

2005 Mustang Revivial Thread! A Lost Pony Comes Back To Life!

Search this Thread

Old 12/29/14, 08:12 AM
GT Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 3point7
Good luck with it Austin. I was showing this thread to my uncle last night and he feels pretty certain that at some point your Mustang was caught in flood water based on two things.

1. The mud high up on the shock tower in the engine bay.
2. The presence of rust on a bolt head under the center console where moisture should not be able to get at it.

He's had a couple of flood cars so he knows what to look for. This could also explain the "noise" the girl was telling you about in the back end. What we think is that you should get that rear axle serviced as soon as possible. If it was submerged and got water in it you could have a rear axle full of sludge. You don't want that. Along with the axle I would have the transmission given a complete and thorough service. Get it flushed out, have the filters replaced the whole nine.

Personally I think you should just go nuts on the car since its your project car. You've already put in some really good work on that interior. Don't let off the gas now. Just take that rascal to the woodshed. You only paid $1300 for it which is a steal for that car. Put a serious 4.0 motor in it, strut tower brace, lowering it, stiffer shocks, adjustable pan hard bar, dual exhaust, the whole nine. But that's me . You know you don't want to sell it anyway now that you and your woman have matching Mustangs. At any rate, good look with it.
All good points. I am going to get the transmission flushed really soon. I got started on it yesterday and I'm a little concerned about the amount antifreeze in there. My buddy that owns the shop is going to help me pull the heads this week and get them checked.
Old 12/29/14, 02:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by austinkli
All good points. I am going to get the transmission flushed really soon. I got started on it yesterday and I'm a little concerned about the amount antifreeze in there. My buddy that owns the shop is going to help me pull the heads this week and get them checked.
Good luck with that. Of course my buddies and I are still firmly in the camp that believes you should just go nuts on the car. Get the eco heads from supersix for $1100 and just fully restore the car from bumper to bumper. Oh and of course you should take pictures along the way because that's all the fun for the rest of us. lol Whatever you decide, good luck with it and keep those pictures coming when you replace those head gaskets.
Old 12/29/14, 02:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Some motivation for what your finished product could look like Austin.

Old 12/30/14, 09:46 AM
GT Member

Good luck with that. Of course my buddies and I are still firmly in the camp that believes you should just go nuts on the car. Get the eco heads from supersix for $1100 and just fully restore the car from bumper to bumper. Oh and of course you should take pictures along the way because that's all the fun for the rest of us. lol Whatever you decide, good luck with it and keep those pictures coming when you replace those head gaskets.
Some motivation for what your finished product could look like Austin.

Not quite the right year, but still a sexy car. I actually found something very similar to what I want mine to look like today.

Not exactly, but close. I would want all of my louvers black, and not that black stripe, keep my pony package black stripe. Also raxiom gen 5 tail lights, but still pretty close to what I'm looking for.
Attached Images  
Old 12/30/14, 11:04 AM
GT Member

Well that's not good!

Name:  Screenshot_2014-12-30-12-48-58.png
Views: 79
Size:  118.6 KB
Old 12/30/14, 12:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Well if you are ever considering a motor swap, now would be the best time to do it. While the motor is out and before you spend a bunch of money on the 4L. Though a motor swap might not be in your price range right about now.
Old 12/30/14, 12:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Time to rebuild that motor and make it right
Old 12/30/14, 08:17 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Cheaper to replace the 4.0 with another one than it is to rebuild the original. My guess is that with the "care" that car received by the previous owner that you are going to get more of those texts as they get deeper into it; and the price will be more than a replacement engine.
Old 12/30/14, 10:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by JimC
Cheaper to replace the 4.0 with another one than it is to rebuild the original. My guess is that with the "care" that car received by the previous owner that you are going to get more of those texts as they get deeper into it; and the price will be more than a replacement engine.
Jim is almost surely right. While you have that engine out I would go ahead and have them make sure the transmission is good to go and have the rear axle completely serviced. Other things I would do.

Replace the fuel filter
Replace brake fluid
Check all fuel lines for rust or corrosion
Check the underside of the car for rust
Replace fuel pump
Inspect brakes and replace pads if needed
Check shocks and replace if needed
Replace all your hoses (coolant, power steering, AC / Heat, the whole nine)
Check your electrical system and make sure its good to go especially if that car was in flood water.

There's a variety of other little things I would do but those are the ones that come to mind. But that's me and it's easy to rattle that stuff off when it's not my money.
Old 12/31/14, 07:43 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by SplitSecond
Well if you are ever considering a motor swap, now would be the best time to do it. While the motor is out and before you spend a bunch of money on the 4L. Though a motor swap might not be in your price range right about now.
Time to rebuild that motor and make it right
Unfortunately it's not really in my price range.

Originally Posted by JimC

If I were doing all the work myself, yes. Since I'm paying a shop, not quite. Going to try and rebuild this motor to the best of my ability for now. I made a new friend with a 5.0 from a 92 in his garage last night. He hit on my wife and is trying to make it up by offering that we can rebuild the motor and put it in my car. Could be fun.
Old 12/31/14, 07:50 AM
GT Member

Jim is almost surely right. While you have that engine out I would go ahead and have them make sure the transmission is good to go and have the rear axle completely serviced. Other things I would do. I would love to do this but unfortunately the cost is a little high on that. They will check the transmission for me, but the rear axle I may have to get to on my own at a later time

Replace the fuel filter I intend to, good idea sir!
Replace brake fluid Never thought of this, thanks for bringing it up
Check all fuel lines for rust or corrosion Done
Check the underside of the car for rust Done
Replace fuel pump Too much money right now
Inspect brakes and replace pads if needed Done, I can replace brake pads on my own later, and they are ok for now
Check shocks and replace if needed It is needed, but I'll do that when I lower the car
Replace all your hoses (coolant, power steering, AC / Heat, the whole nine)
Check your electrical system and make sure its good to go especially if that car was in flood water. Going to do check and replace any hoses that seem old, but not going to spend needless money on replacing good hoses right now, I just don't have that kind of spare money laying around at this time

There's a variety of other little things I would do but those are the ones that come to mind. But that's me and it's easy to rattle that stuff off when it's not my money.
Old 1/13/15, 02:26 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by houtex
I woulda passed, even for $1k. I mean.. man, you're braver than I, sir.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, since I don't have experience with end of life cars...

But wouldn't that car be worth more as parts than as a car?

The engine, transmission, wheels, body panels, electronics, etc. Sometimes when you part things out they are worth far more than the sum of their parts...

Thoughts?
Old 1/13/15, 06:39 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FlyTexas
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, since I don't have experience with end of life cars...

The engine, transmission, wheels, body panels, electronics, etc. Sometimes when you part things out they are worth far more than the sum of their parts...

Thoughts?
I think he's more interested in bringing the car back to life. Why buy it, just to part it out when most of the parts are bad (engine, etc.).
Old 1/13/15, 11:50 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thoughts?
I thought about that as well, but based on this my assumption is that he's viewing it as a project, not necessarily just for the money. And, as mentioned, a lot of the value in the car itself has likely been diminished by old, failing and abused parts.
Old 1/13/15, 11:55 AM
GT Member

Thoughts?
You're not wrong, but this has been and still is a fun project for me. It's not just a quick way to make money or else I'd have flipped it already. I quite enjoy taking both of the silver stangs out together for me and the wife. It's actually something that my wife helps with a little which is fun, and there's really nothing I love more than cracking open a beer and working on a car.

Also, given the crappy condition of everything on this car, I probably wouldn't get as much as you'd think parting it out.

And finally, imho there is a certain level of pride, to be able to say you did this when gesturing at your car. The work has barely begun on it and already people are astounded at the car meets at what I've done. Makes me feel very proud.
Old 1/13/15, 06:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

You're not wrong, but this has been and still is a fun project for me. It's not just a quick way to make money or else I'd have flipped it already. I quite enjoy taking both of the silver stangs out together for me and the wife. It's actually something that my wife helps with a little which is fun, and there's really nothing I love more than cracking open a beer and working on a car.

Also, given the crappy condition of everything on this car, I probably wouldn't get as much as you'd think parting it out.

And finally, imho there is a certain level of pride, to be able to say you did this when gesturing at your car. The work has barely begun on it and already people are astounded at the car meets at what I've done. Makes me feel very proud.

Old 1/15/15, 11:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amazing job, I detail A LOT of cars and have never seen anything close to that bad. The whole time I was reading this I was thinking how much easier it would have been for you if you had a steam cleaner.

Good luck with the engine rebuild
Old 1/15/15, 02:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Speaking of engine rebuild, what's the latest Austin?
Old 1/16/15, 02:40 PM
GT Member

Speaking of engine rebuild, what's the latest Austin?
Motor is back together. My buddy messaged me today and said he needs some special tool.
Old 1/16/15, 06:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Motor is back together. My buddy messaged me today and said he needs some special tool.
Dude! Pictures?!

Go!

Take!

Post!!!

Quick Reply: 2005 Mustang Revivial Thread! A Lost Pony Comes Back To Life!