2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

2005 Mustang Revivial Thread! A Lost Pony Comes Back To Life!

Search this Thread

Old 2/1/15, 07:24 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
I kinda wanna find one of those at my dealerships now. That's a cheap car no matter *how* nasty it was.

Plus, hey, I have learned some stuff along the way here. Thanks for bein' so open and helpful, man! Good stuff!
Old 2/2/15, 08:53 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
Originally Posted by austinkli
$1,300 purchase price
$80 for the tires,l
$20 cleaning materials
$1,040 motor repairs.

About $2,440
Whats next? Have you done the full ext detail clay bar and all?
Old 2/2/15, 09:11 AM
GT Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by houtex
I kinda wanna find one of those at my dealerships now. That's a cheap car no matter *how* nasty it was.

Plus, hey, I have learned some stuff along the way here. Thanks for bein' so open and helpful, man! Good stuff!
No problem.

Originally Posted by Glenn
Whats next? Have you done the full ext detail clay bar and all?
Only done a quick wash on the exterior. I think next up is to clean the engine bay this Thursday. I haven't done anything other than a quick wash on the exterior because it has some body damage, needs new bumpers most likely, or at least a new front bumper, not sure if the rear one can be fixed or not. I'm waiting on the bonus check to come in before I drop any more money into the car.

Once my bonus check comes in about two weeks my plans are as follows in this order:

Insulation under the carpet
Door panels fixed (lock grommet replaced and vinyl on the panel replaced)
Leather seats reconditioned
Possibly a new shifter

As for the outside, I'll wash it up and possibly wax it, but in a few months I'm moving back to Jacksonville where my parents live, and my step dad has done body work on cars for almost 30 years now so I'm going to wait to repair any of the body until I move back to Jacksonville where he can help me. We will fix the body damage, and hopefully get it repainted.
Old 2/10/15, 08:22 AM
GT Member

New issue arose, it rained pretty heavy yesterday, when I got into the car last night I looked over and noticed this. Bad news is, that's water leaking from the place the ECU is located.

Name:  20150209_193422.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  104.8 KB

I haven't actually checked yet but I'm about 99% certain this is the issue.

Name:  grommet%20holes.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  65.4 KB

Last edited by austinkli; 2/10/15 at 10:07 AM.
Old 2/10/15, 10:32 AM
Just Plain Rude!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Dang, that sucks. Are you having electrical problems now? Yeah, that's the issue. It's pretty common.
Old 2/10/15, 01:29 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
New issue arose, it rained pretty heavy yesterday, when I got into the car last night I looked over and noticed this. Bad news is, that's water leaking from the place the ECU is located.

I haven't actually checked yet but I'm about 99% certain this is the issue.
Don't forget the drain hole under the cabin filter.
Old 2/10/15, 03:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Austin there's a good chance that its the well documented cabin air filter issue and given how nasty that car was when you bought it I wouldn't be surprised. Pull the cabin air filter from under the cowl and don't be surprised if you find a bunch of water and gook down in there. Clean it out, make sure the drain hole is clear and that should take care of the issue.
Old 2/10/15, 04:32 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by stupidgenius36
Dang, that sucks. Are you having electrical problems now? Yeah, that's the issue. It's pretty common.
Originally Posted by cdynaco
Don't forget the drain hole under the cabin filter.
Originally Posted by 3point7
Austin there's a good chance that its the well documented cabin air filter issue and given how nasty that car was when you bought it I wouldn't be surprised. Pull the cabin air filter from under the cowl and don't be surprised if you find a bunch of water and gook down in there. Clean it out, make sure the drain hole is clear and that should take care of the issue.
Thanks for the advice, the drain hole is clear. If you recall, when water flooded the car the first time it was because of the drain holes. I will check out that cabin filter though. Is there a specific issue related to the cabin filter or is it one and the same as what I had posted above?

Last edited by austinkli; 2/10/15 at 04:35 PM.
Old 2/14/15, 09:03 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't forget to check the foam seal that goes between the trim and the body that goes around the window. My car had a real serious leak last year and after cleaning all the drain holes and it still didn't solve the problem. I did some research and found out that they can leak from here too and that water from this leak will still show up at the same location as the others did. Ordered new seals from Ford and its really easy to replace them, the hardest part (if you want to call that) is getting the old adhesive off. Really easy and not expensive to fix
Attached Thumbnails 2005 Mustang Revivial Thread! A Lost Pony Comes Back To Life!-trim-seal-fail.jpg  

Last edited by 06 Screamer; 2/14/15 at 05:54 PM.
Old 2/14/15, 11:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by 06 Screamer
Don't forget to check the foam seal that goes between the trim and the body that goes around the window. My car had a real serious leak last year and after cleaning all the drain holes and it still didn't solve the problem. I did some research and found out that they can leak from here too and that water from this leak will still show up at the same location as the others did. Ordered new seals from Ford and its really easy to replace them, the hardest part (if you want to call that) is getting the old adhesive off. Really easy and not expensive to fix
Hadn't heard about that one. Thanks for the info. I'll keep it in mind for mine.
Old 2/19/15, 02:39 PM
GT Member

Yep. That sounds about right, things were going way too smooth.

Name:  IMG_20150130_101751.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  51.9 KB

Name:  20150219_160800.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  101.1 KB

Name:  20150219_160934-1.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  75.6 KB

Name:  20150219_160957-1.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  95.4 KB

Well **** sticks!

Name:  20150219_161010-1.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  142.0 KB
Old 2/19/15, 06:11 PM
Legacy TMS Member

doesn't seem to big of a problem

Causes A code P0401 most likely means one or more of the following has happened: The DPFE (differential pressure feedback EGR) sensor is faulty and needs to be replaced There is a blockage in the EGR (tube), most likely carbon buildup The EGR valve is faulty The EGR valve may not be opening due to a lack of vaccuum

Read more at: http://www.obd-codes.com/p0401
Copyright © OBD-Codes.com
Old 2/20/15, 06:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 101 Likes on 74 Posts
My '95 Thunderbird LX 4.6 has been doing that occasionally since 2010, it was that very issue that lead me to buy a Scan Gage II with "X-Gages" (24 of them) .... (and now it does performance monitoring as well) so I could monitor it. Occasionally in warmer weather usually it will suddenly throw same code as the car accelerates from a stop light or etc ....I'm told it's just sampling is out of what is expected. I just "clear the code" and keep on. Car has near 90K miles now, been doing it for 30K anyway. May go weeks and not do it, then do it twice same day?

I am about 99% sure I need to pull the EGR and clean a passage.
Old 2/28/15, 05:50 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Yep. That sounds about right, things were going way too smooth.

Well **** sticks!

updates??
Old 2/28/15, 10:40 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
Obviously the car blew up with him in it, and he's recuperating.

Get well soon, austinkli!
Old 3/2/15, 09:58 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Glenn
updates??
Originally Posted by houtex
Obviously the car blew up with him in it, and he's recuperating.

Get well soon, austinkli!
Lol

I just ordered a bunch of stuff for it and going to work to get it ready for everyday driving. Windshield wipers, cabin filter, cowl grommets, boom mat/insulation, sound dampening spray, and vinyl for the doors are all on their way. Also headed to the junkyard down in Jacksonville thursday because I found a totaled mustang with the same satin air vents I need (all the ones I've found were black), lock grommet, rear emblem, the cover that goes over the 3rd brake light in the trunk, and the coveted alternator cover.

They tell me that the alternator cover has a crack in it, but I'm thinking weld it up and paint it black and it shouldn't be an issue.

Wife is going to drive my mustang to Orlando in two weeks so she can keep the miles off of hers, then meet me in Jacksonville for the Autocombine car show. Gotta get it ready to go by then.
Old 3/3/15, 01:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
wow, I feel really bad for the Stang, good thing is in the hands of someone who cares about giving it some TLC!!! I just knew the panties were in that pile of **** some where and sure enough....they were found....as for the seats if you haven't done so yet I would take a steam cleaner vac and just steam clean it all....then use some sort of mold/mldew killer and remover....that mold could be in more then just the seats...
Old 3/4/15, 03:30 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim74656
wow, I feel really bad for the Stang, good thing is in the hands of someone who cares about giving it some TLC!!! I just knew the panties were in that pile of **** some where and sure enough....they were found....as for the seats if you haven't done so yet I would take a steam cleaner vac and just steam clean it all....then use some sort of mold/mldew killer and remover....that mold could be in more then just the seats...
You obviously missed the posts where the interior was torn out and cleaned
Old 3/6/15, 10:37 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by JeffreyDJ
You obviously missed the posts where the interior was torn out and cleaned
And it's about to come back out next week.
Old 3/6/15, 10:38 AM
GT Member

Got some more stuff accomplished. Went down to Jacksonville and found some Mustangs in a junk yard. Got some good parts for cheap!

Unfortunately I checked all 3 mustangs, and they all 3 had a broken shift indicator just like mine.

I got an alternator cover, the door lock grommet, an AC vent, and that black cover that goes over the lock and wires for the trunk.

Also, my grommets came in.

Got my 3rd brake light fixed. And thank you zip ties.

Cleaned off the underside of the trunk. See all the wires and stuff hanging...

Gotta clean up this piece.

Got the boom mat spray in it.

Sprayed the boom mat sound deadener and also got the plastic cover fitted in.

before and after pic

Pulled this piece out so I could spray the bottom of the trunk too.

Got it cleaned up so I can start spraying it with the boom mat spray. Unfortunately I ran out.

Got my lock grommet fixed.

Time to fix the ac vent.

Unfortunately, the ac vent I pulled was from the left hand side, and it does not fit the right hand side.

Took the wife's blow dryer to heat up and soften all the clips, and it turns out if you slide the exterior silver sleeve off, the inside black cylinder is the same.

So after getting the sleeves swapped...

Got my ac vent fixed.

All in all a somewhat productive day. Fixed the ac vent, got the cover for the trunk release and wires cleaned up and put on, got most of the trunk sprayed down with the boom mat spray, got my lights fixed, and the door lock grommet.

Quick Reply: 2005 Mustang Revivial Thread! A Lost Pony Comes Back To Life!