2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

2/14/05 AUTOWEEK & SVT

Search this Thread

Old 2/11/05, 05:02 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by PeterPienaar@February 11, 2005, 5:34 PM
So what's wrong with an AWD fully independent setup with a Turbocharged V8?
Nuthin'. Nuthin' at all.

Dumb question with regard to the AWD though: can you do burnouts with it?
Hmm, I want to say no, but I guess if you had enough hp and torque you could get the wheels spinning. The problem is say you have a 300 hp car, on a RWD car that 300 hp divided up over two wheels rather than 4 wheels on an AWD car. So I may be entirely wrong with this estimation, but a 300 hp AWD will do a burnout as well as an 150 hp RWD car. Now I know that's not entirely accurate since it's easier to do a burnout with RWD than it is FWD...well anyway.
Old 2/11/05, 05:03 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by TomServo92+February 11, 2005, 3:49 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TomServo92 @ February 11, 2005, 3:49 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by holderca1@February 11, 2005, 3:04 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Soccer2789
@February 11, 2005, 2:54 PM
Ok, please, lets not compare the performance of an IRS system in a chassis dating back to the 70's with a solid axle in a chassis designed recently. Of course the new chassis will handle better (even with its dated rear suspension).......

We can when it was used last year.
I thought you wanted this argument to end? :scratch:
[/b][/quote]
Oh, I thought were talking the old chassis vs the new one.
Old 2/11/05, 05:11 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally posted by holderca1+February 11, 2005, 6:06 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(holderca1 @ February 11, 2005, 6:06 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by TomServo92@February 11, 2005, 3:49 PM
Originally posted by holderca1@February 11, 2005, 3:04 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Soccer2789
@February 11, 2005, 2:54 PM
Ok, please, lets not compare the performance of an IRS system in a chassis dating back to the 70's with a solid axle in a chassis designed recently. Of course the new chassis will handle better (even with its dated rear suspension).......

We can when it was used last year.

I thought you wanted this argument to end? :scratch:
Oh, I thought were talking the old chassis vs the new one.
[/b][/quote]

We were but you know it's that whole thread perpetuation thing....kind of like I'm doing now.... B)
Old 2/11/05, 05:21 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SVT rocks, I can't even wait or imagine what it will really be and look like.
Old 2/11/05, 07:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Galaxie@February 11, 2005, 11:22 AM
Ahh.. the IRS vs. Live Axle debate will never die
Interesting how it's no longer a debate for 90% of the world's car makers who stopped using live rear axles decades ago.
Old 2/11/05, 07:51 PM
Bullitt Member

I'll make just one comment on the SRA/IRS dustup, and then shut my mouth:

You might be aware the '05 Mustang Grand Am racecar, with a live axle, came in ahead of the M3 (among countless others). That tells us something: Ford has the technology to make a live axle that can keep up (at least) with the M3 handling.

It may be of interest to note that Ford is targeting the M3 with its new Cobra.
Old 2/11/05, 08:09 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
maybe the best solution for ford is to offer it on all cars AS AN OPTION that way, ppl who want cobra power and such can have a live axle for drag racing and ppl who maybe dont want the cobra's power can g=have better handling if they want. more mix and match so to speak. just tossing and idea onto the grille. dont overcook it tho
Old 2/11/05, 09:02 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

we like to overcook things here lol

It's a pretty good idea, but you know everything goes to cost, and it will even affect those who would like to keep with the solid axle.
Old 2/12/05, 12:08 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by PeterPienaar@February 11, 2005, 9:54 PM

You might be aware the '05 Mustang Grand Am racecar, with a live axle, came in ahead of the M3 (among countless others). That tells us something: Ford has the technology to make a live axle that can keep up (at least) with the M3 handling.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the 05 Mustang is factory backed and the M3 isn't. Multimatic created the Grand Am cars for Ford. I don't know if BMW's M division worked with the teams to tune the vehicles.
Old 2/12/05, 12:54 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Robert+February 11, 2005, 10:25 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Robert @ February 11, 2005, 10:25 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Galaxie@February 11, 2005, 11:22 AM
Ahh.. the IRS vs. Live Axle debate will never die
Interesting how it's no longer a debate for 90% of the world's car makers who stopped using live rear axles decades ago.
[/b][/quote]

It's also interesting how there will be no other production car in the world available with 450 hp, killer looks, and a great suspension (even without IRS) for under $45,000. And I'm willing to wager that a majority of this "90%" are vehicles without RWD. It's pretty easy for a FWD car to economically have IRS.
Old 2/12/05, 02:08 AM

Originally posted by max2000jp+February 12, 2005, 1:11 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(max2000jp @ February 12, 2005, 1:11 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-PeterPienaar@February 11, 2005, 9:54 PM

Correct me if I am wrong, but the 05 Mustang is factory backed and the M3 isn't. Multimatic created the Grand Am cars for Ford. I don't know if BMW's M division worked with the teams to tune the vehicles.
[/b][/quote]

Well, nothing against either argument but I believe it has already been mentioned that the driver was quoted explaining how the team triumphed by relying on critical pit stratagies that allowed them to make advances thru prudent use of fuel and rubber.
Old 2/12/05, 03:31 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by legend05@February 10, 2005, 7:00 PM
Whats up with that hood?
:notnice: does nuttin for me.
I agree. I think the scoop would look better if it had a peak in it to match the hood. It looks aftermarket the way it is. Hopefully this is just a test mule version and not the final deal.
Old 2/12/05, 07:11 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by max2000jp+February 12, 2005, 1:11 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(max2000jp @ February 12, 2005, 1:11 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-PeterPienaar@February 11, 2005, 9:54 PM

[/b][/quote]

Give me a brake.

The Mustang wins it first race out of the box. The winning driver had limited time to test the car because it was late being delivered. Now you bring politics into the equation to try & take away from the victory.

The BMW has had quite a bit of development & is a very fast car.

My first street kill was a new M3. Thread someplace on forum.

Do you have anything nice to say about the Mustang? I asked you 2 times what you don't like about the way your 05' handles & you have not answered me. Either you have never driven one & don't know what your talking about, or your a troll.

I make this assumption because everyone who has driven the 05' loves it.

PS: Do you have a "fart can" on your Nissan? I bet you do. If so you better read my mission statement.
Old 2/12/05, 07:30 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by IWantMyNewGT+February 12, 2005, 5:34 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IWantMyNewGT @ February 12, 2005, 5:34 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-legend05@February 10, 2005, 7:00 PM
Whats up with that hood?
:notnice: does nuttin for me.
I agree. I think the scoop would look better if it had a peak in it to match the hood. It looks aftermarket the way it is. Hopefully this is just a test mule version and not the final deal.
[/b][/quote]
This IS a test mule. The hood scoop is to cover up the taller engine. It will not see production. No one needs to worry about how ugly it is. It is only a quick fabrication to cover up the taller engine.
Old 2/12/05, 07:33 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

[/b][/quote]

I'm curious what year model your Nissan Maxima is? The reason I ask is that up until 2003, the Maxima had a solid rear axle, which is very unusual for a FWD car. I also recall that the Maxima was often lauded as the best handling FWD car of its day, ranking above other FWD cars with IRS.
Old 2/12/05, 09:47 AM

Ford gave us a 300HP car with great styling, great handling, great P/T sound, best ever performance, and best-in-class safety performance for under $25K. Now they are going to deliver all of the above with 500HP for under $40K and some of you guys are still whining about the lack of an IRS????

Name another 500HP that's any where close to $50K. Go buy a Honda or Toyota IRS car with 500HP.

The Grand Am win was no factory back effort. The customer car came in first. The Multimatic car came in second w/o skipping the tire change on the last pit stop. The fleet of BMW M3s, Porsche 996s & 997s, Cadillac CTS-V, and Nissan 350Z lost!

M/T comparison test between GTO with more HP and IRS and 05 Mustang GT showed that GT was faster thru slalom.

Ford proved to the world that the Mustang platform with SRA is more capable than the best cars in the world. Get over it.
Old 2/12/05, 11:08 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by PONY XPRESS+February 12, 2005, 9:14 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PONY XPRESS @ February 12, 2005, 9:14 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by max2000jp@February 12, 2005, 1:11 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-PeterPienaar
@February 11, 2005, 9:54 PM

Give me a brake.

The Mustang wins it first race out of the box. The winning driver had limited time to test the car because it was late being delivered. Now you bring politics into the equation to try & take away from the victory.

The BMW has had quite a bit of development & is a very fast car.

My first street kill was a new M3. Thread someplace on forum.

Do you have anything nice to say about the Mustang? I asked you 2 times what you don't like about the way your 05' handles & you have not answered me. Either you have never driven one & don't know what your talking about, or your a troll.

I make this assumption because everyone who has driven the 05' loves it.

PS: Do you have a "fart can" on your Nissan? I bet you do. If so you better read my mission statement.
[/b][/quote]

Do you have problems with reading comprehension? When have I said anything negative about the 05 GT? Never. I stated that a SRA is inferior, which it is. Argue all you want, but chassis/suspension engineers whom have many more years of experience will disagree. I don't have my Mustang yet (on order since Nov 7), nor have I driven one on the track so I cannot tell you how it handles at the limits. On the test drive while pushing in the turns, the rear felt unsettled, that is what I dislike. A IRS rear suspension would probably cure this. I am sure that I will also like the terminal understeer and body roll as well. The car handles well, but it isn't close to being one of the better handling cars I have driven.

As for my Nissan, no it doesn't have a fart can, but who cares if it did. I have seen some outragous riced out Mustangs as well. Everyone has their own tastes. My friends car with a "fart can" would put numerous bus lengths on your 05 GT. In closing, keep your ignorant opinionated views to yourself.
Old 2/12/05, 11:14 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by TomServo92@February 12, 2005, 9:36 AM
I'm curious what year model your Nissan Maxima is? The reason I ask is that up until 2003, the Maxima had a solid rear axle, which is very unusual for a FWD car. I also recall that the Maxima was often lauded as the best handling FWD car of its day, ranking above other FWD cars with IRS.
My Maxima is a 2000 SE. It has a beam rear axle, which stinks. The 3rd Gen Maxima had a IRS rear suspension; you might remember Nissan calling it a 4 door sports car. When the 4th Gen came out, Nissan was in financial trouble and went with the beam suspension. Nissan stuck with it, until just recently when the 6th gen Maxima came out.
Old 2/12/05, 11:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

As for my Nissan, no it doesn't have a fart can, but who cares if it did. I have seen some outragous riced out Mustangs as well. Everyone has their own tastes. My friends car with a "fart can" would put numerous bus lengths on your 05 GT. In closing, keep your ignorant opinionated views to yourself.
[/quote]

That's kind of a pot calling the kettle black thing aint it. Plus you can't throw in the "my friend has such and such that will do 3 sec in the 1/4, cause someone always has a friend with a car that is faster. Also don't get into the pos rice debate because it has been discussed at great length and on this site you'll lose. No one will convince me that what they do is cool and I won't convince them that they are idots, no matter what I say. Your on an american car forum board with many people with the complete oppsite view as you and any of you friends with sed Fart can. Pick your battles is all i'm saying.
Old 2/12/05, 11:37 AM
Mach 1 Member

I do realize the above post may come off a little harsh so just know that's not my intention.

Quick Reply: 2/14/05 AUTOWEEK & SVT