2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

2/14/05 AUTOWEEK & SVT

Search this Thread

Old 2/11/05, 12:40 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally posted by holderca1@February 11, 2005, 1:36 PM
Let's stop all this quoting madness. The gasoline powered engine is an inferior technology, but I don't see anyone asking for a hybrid or fuel cell. Lets just let this IRS vs. SRA rest. No one is changing anyone's mind.
Great suggestion. I'll second it.
Old 2/11/05, 12:44 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by jsaylor@February 11, 2005, 1:54 PM

Just to point something out, for a time Trans Am racing allowed racers to run IRS or live-axle rear suspensions in their cars. The live-axle cars were generally every bit as competitive as were the IRS cars, with suspension/chassis guru Herb Adams often explaining in his publications that on a smooth surface IRS offers little real handling advanatage.

IRS has it's advantages, but like I said earlier in the post to many people it wont matter how well the car handles or what it out-handles if it comes with a live-axle, they will simply complain that it does not have IRS. If the car delivers the goods I could care less how it gets there.
I am curious to why they no longer use IRS, did the rules change or was it an unfair advantage?

An IRS suspensions greatest benefit is how it handles mid corner bumps. You don't have to be at the limit to notice this. All people driving on the street will benefit from this. Since a small minority of owners will ever track their car, this is a huge benefit. As for getting ultimate numbers, I am one who likes the feel of the car. Porsche is well know for this and it is why all the mags drool over their cars. In my experience, IRS cars have a better feel, which inspires a lot more confidence in the chassis/suspension.
Old 2/11/05, 01:11 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by TomServo92+February 11, 2005, 12:43 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TomServo92 @ February 11, 2005, 12:43 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-holderca1@February 11, 2005, 1:36 PM
Let's stop all this quoting madness. The gasoline powered engine is an inferior technology, but I don't see anyone asking for a hybrid or fuel cell. Lets just let this IRS vs. SRA rest. No one is changing anyone's mind.
Great suggestion. I'll second it.
[/b][/quote]

Third!!!
Old 2/11/05, 01:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by max2000jp+February 11, 2005, 1:31 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(max2000jp @ February 11, 2005, 1:31 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by PONY XPRESS@February 11, 2005, 1:46 PM
Originally posted by max2000jp@February 11, 2005, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by PONY XPRESS@February 11, 2005, 8:53 AM
Originally posted by max2000jp@February 10, 2005, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by PONY XPRESS@February 10, 2005, 10:55 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Soccer2789
@February 10, 2005, 8:19 PM
Ughhhh, no IRS. Talk about dropping the ball....

It still amazes me how many people are ignorant about IRS Vs live axle. This has been beaten to death.

Front engine rear drive cars work quite well without IRS. SCCA Trans-Am cars are all solid axle. NASCAR works pretty good on road courses. I have many years racing experience at Lime Rock Park in CT which is one of the roughest tracks in North America. A good solid axle setup works great here.

I hope SVT offers a 9" rear so we can put some real power in the new Cobra. 600HP+

And an IRS setup works even better. Any serious race cars from LMP's, Formula Fords, Champ cars, and F1 cars use IRS setups. Nascar's are near the bottom of the ladder in terms of professional race cars.

The type of race cars that you mention have rear mounted engines, they must use an IRS system.

So a NASCAR & SCCA Trans-AM cars are not serious race cars? I raced an ex Mustang Trans-Am car in SCCA GT-1. 2450lb with 650HP. You have no idea what your talking about.

Yes, I know they have rear engines; my point was that the most technologically advanced cars use IRS. There are a bunch of front engine race cars that use an IRS suspension. A NASCAR or SCCA Trans-Am car is no way near as serious of a race car as say Williams BMW's F1 car. Arguing that a live axle "works great" disagrees with the engineers at Ferrari, BMW M, team corvette, etc. I am sure you know more about suspension design/technology then they do

Your argument is ridiculous & bogus. How can you even compare F1 technology with what we are talking about here.

Ford is building a 450HP car with a solid axle (maybe IRS) for 40K. Its a bargain.

NASCAR, sprint cars, drag cars, road race cars, all use live axle in one form or another. I may not know as much as Ferrari about suspension, but I can tell by your comments I know a lot more about it then you do.

You say you have an 05' in your avatar. What don't you like about the way the car handles?
Again, I wasn't comparing an F1 car to a factory car, rather other race cars. A live axle race car isn't the most technologically advanced vehicle. You are arguing about live axles, which are an inferior technology. Yes you can make a live axle to handle well, but an IRS setup is better. Heck the 125CC CRG kart I race doesn't even have a suspension, but will pull roughly 2.5 g's in a corner. Again, you are going against the wisdom of experienced engineers.
[/b][/quote]

You didn't answer my question.

What don't you like about the way your 05' handles?
Old 2/11/05, 01:51 PM

Ok, please, lets not compare the performance of an IRS system in a chassis dating back to the 70's with a solid axle in a chassis designed recently. Of course the new chassis will handle better (even with its dated rear suspension).......
Old 2/11/05, 02:01 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Soccer2789@February 11, 2005, 2:54 PM
Ok, please, lets not compare the performance of an IRS system in a chassis dating back to the 70's with a solid axle in a chassis designed recently. Of course the new chassis will handle better (even with its dated rear suspension).......
We can when it was used last year.
Old 2/11/05, 02:18 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IRS vs Live, I don't know. What I do know is that I am going to NYC April 1st to see it in person! I wanted to be there on public preview day, but Easter weekend was not a possibility with the Mrs. So I'm cashing in the Mastercard points for the hotel and bringing the camera for the end of the show. Of course by then it will be plastered all over the net, but I want to see it in person. :worship:
Old 2/11/05, 02:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Wolf@February 11, 2005, 4:21 PM
IRS vs Live, I don't know. What I do know is that I am going to NYC April 1st to see it in person! I wanted to be there on public preview day, but Easter weekend was not a possibility with the Mrs. So I'm cashing in the Mastercard points for the hotel and bringing the camera for the end of the show. Of course by then it will be plastered all over the net, but I want to see it in person. :worship:
Please, please, please, please post them as soon as you can, please!
Old 2/11/05, 02:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by holderca1+February 11, 2005, 3:04 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(holderca1 @ February 11, 2005, 3:04 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Soccer2789@February 11, 2005, 2:54 PM
We can when it was used last year.
[/b][/quote]

I thought you wanted this argument to end? :scratch:
Old 2/11/05, 02:49 PM

but not as a direct comparison of how the two systems perform like it was used previously, i.e. "the solid axle is a better technology because the 05 gt handles better than the 04 cobra w/IRS". This argument has no validty because the two systems are on different chassis, one from the late 70's and the other from the 20th century. Thats the point i was making B) .

Jason
Old 2/11/05, 02:53 PM
Cobra Member

Do you think Ford will us Quaker State or Penzoil in the 07. Which one do you think is better. :scratch:
Old 2/11/05, 03:30 PM

The reported lack of an IRS in Ford's premier Mustang would be very disappointing, even a bit embarrassing. One can stomach a lively axle in the more low-budget GT as the penny-pinching decision that it was, but once Ford wants to rise in the food chain with a viable SVT variant, then such a technical, marketing or economic decision makes little sense.

Sure, a live axle can be made to handle quite well in rather undemanding circumstances such as smooth road cornering and the drag strip, which is singularly undemanding of any suspension (look what top fuel dragster ride on to get an idea of an Nth degree drag suspension). On the other hand, for an idea of Nth degree handling, look what, say, a Formula 1 cars runs on.

Yes, the Stang's live axle is worlds better than the outgoing models, though that's damning it with faint praise given how bad the outgoing model's was. But even it gets more upset by midcorner bumps than a comparable car's IRS. Add another 150-200 hp to the equation with even more aggressive (stiffer) suspension and the live axle's Achille's Heel will become all that much more apparant, especially as compared to the sophistated suspension of its competitors at that price range.

But if Ford intends the Cobra to be more than a narrow focus, brutish, straight line charger, such a pose would be seriously undercut by a live axle, which rather quickly loses its composure in any more challenging handling situation and driving conditions. Pulling .95Gs on a smooth skidpad become little more than bench racing fodder when real world cornering plummets to .25G by a live axle utterly flummoxed by the lumps and bumps of everyday streets and roads that the 99% of any Cobras will be driving on 99.99% of the time. Indeed, it is in real world driving, rather than the track, that a good IRS's benefits will really come to the fore.

This is especially disappointing from Ford, this "good enough" attitude, in light of the excellently engineered products now coming from Daimler Chrysler. And even GM is showing surprising signs of engineering competence with the exquisitly well done Vette Z06, Solstice, Sky, and even the GTO (styling issues aside).

While I don't think I'll change anyone's mind here, and Ford has perhaps already made up their minds too, but hopefully this will get them thinking more in terms of ultimate performance rather than good enough to foist on John Q Public.
Old 2/11/05, 03:32 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the guys point was that you shouldn't consider he solid rear axle a step back from the previous cobra when the curent GT can outhandle the previous cobra with the IRS. Even if the new cobra has a solid rear axle, it will still outhandle the old model by a considerable margin.

Yes, IRS is a superior technology to a SRA, but this shows that the handling of the car has a lot to do with how these two systems are set up.
Old 2/11/05, 03:50 PM
Cobra Member

OK, I'm goint to put my pennys worth of thought in here. I see people will be dissapointed if Ford dosn't have about 450 to 500 hp in the next svt or IRS. Right? Isn't this what we constantly read? If the next svt will be $40,000, how can you expext it to have all that stuff. I plan on buying the 07 model next year around the $40,000 mark. Even if it dosn't have IRS or 500 hp. I would love 450 though, but will see in a month. My oil debate is still out there. Quaker State or Penzoil?
Old 2/11/05, 03:52 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Route 66@February 11, 2005, 4:53 PM
OK, I'm goint to put my pennys worth of thought in here. I see people will be dissapointed if Ford dosn't have about 450 to 500 hp in the next svt or IRS. Right? Isn't this what we constantly read? If the next svt will be $40,000, how can you expext it to have all that stuff. I plan on buying the 07 model next year around the $40,000 mark. Even if it dosn't have IRS or 500 hp. I would love 450 though, but will see in a month. My oil debate is still out there. Quaker State or Penzoil?
Penzoil
Old 2/11/05, 03:53 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by jsheehan@February 11, 2005, 5:35 PM
I think the guys point was that you shouldn't consider he solid rear axle a step back from the previous cobra when the curent GT can outhandle the previous cobra with the IRS. Even if the new cobra has a solid rear axle, it will still outhandle the old model by a considerable margin.

Yes, IRS is a superior technology to a SRA, but this shows that the handling of the car has a lot to do with how these two systems are set up.
The benefits we are seeing can be attributed to the stiffer chassis structure and the front suspension. The longer wheelbase and weight distribution also helps. As said earlier, I am sure that a properly setup IRS would really do wonders in this car.
Old 2/11/05, 03:58 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by Route 66@February 11, 2005, 5:53 PM
Personally, I would rather see Ford try and trim the Cobra down in weight. A 3200 lbs Cobra with 420 hp V8, Close ratio 6 speed, and IRS rear suspensioned car would be great. Sell it around 40k and you have a winner. Personally, I like Mobil 1.
Old 2/11/05, 04:31 PM
Bullitt Member

So what's wrong with an AWD fully independent setup with a Turbocharged V8?
Nuthin'. Nuthin' at all.

Dumb question with regard to the AWD though: can you do burnouts with it?
Old 2/11/05, 04:40 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by max2000jp@February 11, 2005, 4:56 PM
The benefits we are seeing can be attributed to the stiffer chassis structure and the front suspension. The longer wheelbase and weight distribution also helps. As said earlier, I am sure that a properly setup IRS would really do wonders in this car.
I agree with everything you said. However, here's a fact that hasn't been talked about much. We all want lots of HP & TQ and a suspension and structure that will put it to ground. I'm sure nobody will dispute that. But, given Ford's financial situation, I'm sure development funds are at a premium. I don't doubt that they had to consider carefully where those development funds would be spent. IMO, engine development won out over suspension and here's why: Ford problably believes (and with good reason) that if they didn't provide a serious upgrade in power given what the competition is doing, there would be more of an outcry than there will be without an IRS given that the current suspension is a vast improvement over the previous Mustang, even considering the previous Cobra's IRS. In other words, they've given us an improved suspension even with the archaic rear design so the priority is on the power. I believe that soon we'll see the rear suspension addressed. Maybe not next year but soon.
Old 2/11/05, 04:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by I agree with everything you said. However@ here's a fact that hasn't been talked about much. We all want lots of HP & TQ and a suspension and structure that will put it to ground. I'm sure nobody will dispute that. But, given Ford's financial situation, I'm sure development funds are at a premium. I don't doubt that they had to consider carefully where those development funds would be spent. IMO, engine development won out over suspension and here's why: Ford problably believes (and with good reason) that if they didn't provide a serious upgrade in power given what the competition is doing, there would be more of an outcry than there will be without an IRS [b
given that the current suspension is a vast improvement over the previous Mustang, even considering the previous Cobra's IRS. In other words, they've given us an improved suspension even with the archaic rear design so the priority is on the power. I believe that soon we'll see the rear suspension addressed. Maybe not next year but soon.
[/b]
You have hit the nail on the head with that comment. I work here and the cash flow is not what it should be. With all of the new model launches and the stock price as low as it is we are hurting for liquid assets. I heard a figure the other day on what it would take to design and build an IRS and it was a figure that would put the Cobra price out of sight. MAYBE down the line for the Shelby the IRS will come in.

Quick Reply: 2/14/05 AUTOWEEK & SVT