2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

2/14/05 AUTOWEEK & SVT

Search this Thread

Old 2/11/05, 06:48 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Grimlock+February 11, 2005, 7:49 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Grimlock @ February 11, 2005, 7:49 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-PeterPienaar@February 10, 2005, 9:45 PM
AWD and turboed four-bangers?....SVT means MUSCLE
You forget that SVT has it origins in Special Vehicle Operations, the group that gave us the Turbo four-banger Mustang SVO. I think it'd be neat if Ford introduced an AWD DOHC Turbo 4 cylinder called the SVO. Not to replace the Cobra, of course. It would be in an entirely different market niche than the Cobra.
[/b][/quote]
So what's wrong with an AWD fully independent setup with a Turbocharged V8?
Old 2/11/05, 06:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by max2000jp+February 10, 2005, 10:05 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(max2000jp @ February 10, 2005, 10:05 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by PONY XPRESS@February 10, 2005, 10:55 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Soccer2789
@February 10, 2005, 8:19 PM
Ughhhh, no IRS. Talk about dropping the ball....

It still amazes me how many people are ignorant about IRS Vs live axle. This has been beaten to death.

Front engine rear drive cars work quite well without IRS. SCCA Trans-Am cars are all solid axle. NASCAR works pretty good on road courses. I have many years racing experience at Lime Rock Park in CT which is one of the roughest tracks in North America. A good solid axle setup works great here.

I hope SVT offers a 9" rear so we can put some real power in the new Cobra. 600HP+
And an IRS setup works even better. Any serious race cars from LMP's, Formula Fords, Champ cars, and F1 cars use IRS setups. Nascar's are near the bottom of the ladder in terms of professional race cars.
[/b][/quote]

The type of race cars that you mention have rear mounted engines, they must use an IRS system.

So a NASCAR & SCCA Trans-AM cars are not serious race cars? I raced an ex Mustang Trans-Am car in SCCA GT-1. 2450lb with 650HP. You have no idea what your talking about.
Old 2/11/05, 07:10 AM
GT Member

[/quote]
So what's wrong with an AWD fully independent setup with a Turbocharged V8?
[/quote]

Nothing wrong with it, just would not be an SVO.
Old 2/11/05, 07:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

The type of race cars that you mention have rear mounted engines, they must use an IRS system.

So a NASCAR & SCCA Trans-AM cars are not serious race cars? I raced an ex Mustang Trans-Am car in SCCA GT-1. 2450lb with 650HP. You have no idea what your talking about.
They're serious, just nowhere near as sophisticated. Comparing an F1 car to a NASCAR vehicle is sort of like comparing a Rolex to a Timex.

C'mon, no one uses solid rear axles in cars anymore. Why do you suppose that is? Cause it's troglodyte technology. It's like going hunting with stone knives and bear skins instead of a rifle and a Goretex jacket. Sure, you can do it, but why would you?
Old 2/11/05, 08:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Grimlock@February 11, 2005, 9:13 AM
Nothing wrong with it, just would not be an SVO.
Why not? To me, that would be considered into a special vehicle operations category. The reason SVO introduced a turbo-charged four banger was because of the times. Regan era a decade after the fuel shortages of the Carter presidency. Big fuel consuming engines were not that desireable. Ford developed a limited run "gizmo" that proved to be a success. So in conclusion, as the times and technology change, why shouldn't the vehicle or "label" change?
Old 2/11/05, 08:55 AM
Mach 1 Member

Those are both old mules.
Old 2/11/05, 10:09 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by snkbtn99+February 11, 2005, 8:35 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(snkbtn99 @ February 11, 2005, 8:35 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-crazyhorse@February 10, 2005, 10:09 PM
How many of us are going to road race them anyway? Track events and drag races are about the extent of competition we get into. Most of the driving will be cruising. The drag racers like live axle to get the power to the ground.
Ummmm .. I know quite a few Cobra owners that race their current vehicles on ORC ..... Including me ..... There are very FEW Cobras at the drags that I have seen .... GTs go drags .... Cobras go ORC .... because of the IRS ...
[/b][/quote]
I'm sure there are a lot of ORC racers in Cobras. If you go read SVTperf. several of them have or want to change to live axle for drag racing. My point is, most of us will do neither (at least not very often). The majority of Cobra owners drive them on the street and never see the potential of the cars.
Old 2/11/05, 10:12 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by MCGT@February 10, 2005, 7:55 PM
Love the 04 ZO6 wheels...
NOT...

They look like blacked-out FR500 wheels to me. It looks pretty good with 18's and a body drop.
Old 2/11/05, 10:15 AM
GT Member

The Fusion and 500 are both avail with AWD so these are probably in the pipeline. As for the S-197 Snake as long as SVT truly remembers "Performance,exclusivity,value and substance" I have started moving the money I set aside into more liquid areas.
Old 2/11/05, 10:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thats a big scoop... Note sure I like it much. I guess Ford wants to keep the difference low-key outside of the scoop.
Old 2/11/05, 10:19 AM
I Have Admin Envy

Ahh.. the IRS vs. Live Axle debate will never die
Old 2/11/05, 11:24 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by PONY XPRESS+February 11, 2005, 8:53 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PONY XPRESS @ February 11, 2005, 8:53 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by max2000jp@February 10, 2005, 10:05 PM

It still amazes me how many people are ignorant about IRS Vs live axle. This has been beaten to death.

Front engine rear drive cars work quite well without IRS. SCCA Trans-Am cars are all solid axle. NASCAR works pretty good on road courses. I have many years racing experience at Lime Rock Park in CT which is one of the roughest tracks in North America. A good solid axle setup works great here.

I hope SVT offers a 9" rear so we can put some real power in the new Cobra. 600HP+

And an IRS setup works even better. Any serious race cars from LMP's, Formula Fords, Champ cars, and F1 cars use IRS setups. Nascar's are near the bottom of the ladder in terms of professional race cars.

[/b][/quote]

Yes, I know they have rear engines; my point was that the most technologically advanced cars use IRS. There are a bunch of front engine race cars that use an IRS suspension. A NASCAR or SCCA Trans-Am car is no way near as serious of a race car as say Williams BMW's F1 car. Arguing that a live axle "works great" disagrees with the engineers at Ferrari, BMW M, team corvette, etc. I am sure you know more about suspension design/technology then they do
Old 2/11/05, 11:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by max2000jp+February 11, 2005, 12:27 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(max2000jp @ February 11, 2005, 12:27 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by PONY XPRESS@February 11, 2005, 8:53 AM

Yes, I know they have rear engines; my point was that the most technologically advanced cars use IRS. There are a bunch of front engine race cars that use an IRS suspension. A NASCAR or SCCA Trans-Am car is no way near as serious of a race car as say Williams BMW's F1 car. Arguing that a live axle "works great" disagrees with the engineers at Ferrari, BMW M, team corvette, etc. I am sure you know more about suspension design/technology then they do
[/b][/quote]

Your argument is ridiculous & bogus. How can you even compare F1 technology with what we are talking about here.

Ford is building a 450HP car with a solid axle (maybe IRS) for 40K. Its a bargain.

NASCAR, sprint cars, drag cars, road race cars, all use live axle in one form or another. I may not know as much as Ferrari about suspension, but I can tell by your comments I know a lot more about it then you do.

You say you have an 05' in your avatar. What don't you like about the way the car handles?
Old 2/11/05, 11:51 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by max2000jp@February 11, 2005, 6:27 PM
[ A NASCAR or SCCA Trans-Am car is no way near as serious of a race car as say Williams BMW's F1 car. Arguing that a live axle "works great" disagrees with the engineers at Ferrari, BMW M, team corvette, etc. I am sure you know more about suspension design/technology then they do
Just to point something out, for a time Trans Am racing allowed racers to run IRS or live-axle rear suspensions in their cars. The live-axle cars were generally every bit as competitive as were the IRS cars, with suspension/chassis guru Herb Adams often explaining in his publications that on a smooth surface IRS offers little real handling advanatage.

IRS has it's advantages, but like I said earlier in the post to many people it wont matter how well the car handles or what it out-handles if it comes with a live-axle, they will simply complain that it does not have IRS. If the car delivers the goods I could care less how it gets there.
Old 2/11/05, 12:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally posted by holderca1+February 11, 2005, 7:41 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(holderca1 @ February 11, 2005, 7:41 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by TomServo92@February 10, 2005, 8:44 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-StangNut
@February 10, 2005, 8:40 PM
I agree. What a step backwards.

How much you want to bet that the new Cobra will run the slalom faster and with a higher MPH than the outgoing Cobra?
The GT already does that.
[/b][/quote]

That's what I was getting at. People were stating it was a step backward yet the new suspension with its "ball-has-been dropped" SRA outperforms the best the old suspension has to offer (the Cobra with IRS). The question was rhetorical and slightly sarcastic if you have to know. B)

As far as I'm concerned Ford didn't drop the ball at all given how well new suspension works. When the IRS eventually arrives (and I believe it will), performance will only get better.
Old 2/11/05, 12:25 PM

Originally posted by TomServo92+February 11, 2005, 1:20 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TomServo92 @ February 11, 2005, 1:20 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by holderca1@February 11, 2005, 7:41 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-StangNut

How much you want to bet that the new Cobra will run the slalom faster and with a higher MPH than the outgoing Cobra?

That's what I was getting at. People were stating it was a step backward yet the new suspension with its "ball-has-been dropped" SRA outperforms the best the old suspension has to offer (the Cobra with IRS). The question was rhetorical and slightly sarcastic if you have to know. B)

As far as I'm concerned Ford didn't drop the ball at all given how well new suspension works. When the IRS eventually arrives (and I believe it will), performance will only get better.
[/b][/quote]
Sometimes that doesn't translate to well online.
Old 2/11/05, 12:28 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by PONY XPRESS+February 11, 2005, 1:46 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PONY XPRESS @ February 11, 2005, 1:46 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by max2000jp@February 11, 2005, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by PONY XPRESS@February 11, 2005, 8:53 AM

Your argument is ridiculous & bogus. How can you even compare F1 technology with what we are talking about here.

Ford is building a 450HP car with a solid axle (maybe IRS) for 40K. Its a bargain.

NASCAR, sprint cars, drag cars, road race cars, all use live axle in one form or another. I may not know as much as Ferrari about suspension, but I can tell by your comments I know a lot more about it then you do.

You say you have an 05' in your avatar. What don't you like about the way the car handles?
[/b][/quote]

Again, I wasn't comparing an F1 car to a factory car, rather other race cars. A live axle race car isn't the most technologically advanced vehicle. You are arguing about live axles, which are an inferior technology. Yes you can make a live axle to handle well, but an IRS setup is better. Heck the 125CC CRG kart I race doesn't even have a suspension, but will pull roughly 2.5 g's in a corner. Again, you are going against the wisdom of experienced engineers.
Old 2/11/05, 12:29 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Stadifer@February 11, 2005, 12:21 PM
Thats a big scoop... Note sure I like it much. I guess Ford wants to keep the difference low-key outside of the scoop.
These are not spy shots of the real car. They are powertrain mules. The car will not have that rediculous scoop.
Old 2/11/05, 12:33 PM

Let's stop all this quoting madness. The gasoline powered engine is an inferior technology, but I don't see anyone asking for a hybrid or fuel cell. Lets just let this IRS vs. SRA rest. No one is changing anyone's mind.
Old 2/11/05, 12:34 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally posted by holderca1+February 11, 2005, 1:28 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(holderca1 @ February 11, 2005, 1:28 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by TomServo92@February 11, 2005, 1:20 PM
Originally posted by holderca1@February 11, 2005, 7:41 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-StangNut

Sometimes that doesn't translate to well online.
[/b][/quote]

True. I gues I should have used one of these:

Quick Reply: 2/14/05 AUTOWEEK & SVT