2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

'05 GT

Search this Thread

Old 8/31/04 | 04:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

Ok, here's what I assume we know re the new Mustang GT's available comfort and convenience features...

1. Power windows, locks, mirrors, driver's seat
2. A/C
3. 6 disc in-dash stereo, with blah, blah, blah...
4. Cruise
5. Tilt
6. One-touch up-down windows (driver and passenger)
7. Windows "snick" up an inch when closing door to form seal
8. Remote keyless entry
9. Remote window down
10. Leather
11. Alarm with intrusion sensor
12. Retained power feature for aux functions
13. Most switches illuminated for night time viewing
14. Color adjustable LED gauges

...now, anyone know FOR SURE the answers to the following esoteric questions:

I assume there are no heated seats?

Are the side mirrors heated?

When activating the alarm upon leaving the car, does it "chirp" or "honk" the horn?

Do the overhead map lights come on automatically when you open the door, or can you switch them on and off yourself? Is there another center dome light in the car?

Does the power seat adjustment include an adjustable lumbar bladder or side bolster control?

Old 8/31/04 | 06:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

The only one I know off the top of my head is that when you activate the alarm, I believe it flashes the headlights first, and then if you hit the button again, it will chirp.

Many of these questions are answered in the owner's manual, which I believe is drifting around on the timeline...
Old 8/31/04 | 06:13 AM
Mach 1 Member

I think you might be too familiar with Japanese and German cars to be truly interested in a Mustang.

You can't compare a Ford Mustang to the likes of cars that will be sold in Germany, England, Japan, Russia, etc... those are colder climates and cars are built with features that make them suitable to the environment. If you can think Mazda, Ford, GM anything, Dodge, then you will have cars that have comparable features to the new Mustang. The only exception is the One button up/down window switches, but these have been on some German made cars for over 8+ years, so Ford is just regaining lost time.
Old 8/31/04 | 06:19 AM
Team Mustang Source

Lol people concern themselves with one-touch up-down switches.......FOR WHAT? The power 1" up/down seal, exactly how is it a power luxury item, or do you just want to be able to show someone else that it has a gizmo??? be at the gas station and open the door.......SHE SAW IT GO DOWN AND UP, EXCELLENT! I prefer to back up what my car 'has' at a stop light, not covering up what it doesnt have with dumb crap like nav's and cutesy message centers, all of that stuff is only for people who cant wait to show their friend some cool stuff they have.

No heated seats or mirrors, power lumber is available. Every car on the planet has courtesy lights you can turn to door/off/on.
Old 8/31/04 | 08:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by kevinb120@August 31, 2004, 6:22 AM
Lol people concern themselves with one-touch up-down switches.......FOR WHAT? The power 1" up/down seal, exactly how is it a power luxury item, or do you just want to be able to show someone else that it has a gizmo??? be at the gas station and open the door.......SHE SAW IT GO DOWN AND UP, EXCELLENT! I prefer to back up what my car 'has' at a stop light, not covering up what it doesnt have with dumb crap like nav's and cutesy message centers, all of that stuff is only for people who cant wait to show their friend some cool stuff they have.

No heated seats or mirrors, power lumber is available. Every car on the planet has courtesy lights you can turn to door/off/on.
Me thinks people are forgetting that the Mustang (especially this one) is channelling the old muscle cars. back in the days where the only thing that matter was how fast it went when you punched it and nice lines on the outside. Back then there was power-nothing, and do it-yourself everything.

The Mustang won't be fancy smanchy, it's a muscle car plain and simple. It will bark and growl at other cars when you gun it, and look good doing it.
Old 8/31/04 | 08:49 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Why isn't there even an option for heated seats? I mean the F-150 has that option. Does anyone know the reliability of aftermarket heated seats?
Old 8/31/04 | 09:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by kevinb120@August 31, 2004, 2:22 PM

I have to disagree, kev. The one touch up-down-switch is not a convenience feature (I can't think of anybody who would care to hold a switch for a couple of seconds) but rather a safety bonus... You have both hands avaiable for some seconds. I've seen people getting into trouble while using their left hand to lower the window. And the one inch drop for better window sealing hasn't anything to do with show. I think it really makes sense as it provides way better sealing and thus significantly reduces wind noise inside the vehicle.
And I agree, a mustang doesn't really need nav systems or heated mirrors. But Ford has heated seats for other cars, and I think all the seats come from the same supplier who should be able to implement heating in any kind of seat. There's some blank switches below the A/C. It wouldn't make the base vehicle more expensive if they added them. Same goes for the bluetooth interface I keep mentioning time and again - the radio has the switch for a phone, and bluetooth needs no wiring at all (just for the handsfree speaker and microphone, of course)
Old 8/31/04 | 09:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

[a] heated seats = none, so dress warm
[b] electronic gadgets that add weight and no horsepower = gimme gimme gimme!
[c] heated mirrors = well that's it, I am buying a different car now
[d] Bluetooth? = buy an Acura

Well, that should cover any complaints I've read thus far, lol
Old 8/31/04 | 09:55 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by holderca1@August 31, 2004, 6:52 AM
Why isn't there even an option for heated seats? I mean the F-150 has that option. Does anyone know the reliability of aftermarket heated seats?
The F-150 has a 4WD option. Do you want that too? Towing package? Bed Liner?

Just kidding. My point is that just because another car has it doesn't mean it's something they should add.

My 1966 Mustang 2+2 was purchased with exactly 2 options:
  • 289 2bbl V8
  • Visibility Group (day/night rear view and manual remote left mirror, if I recall correctly)
The Mustang has ~never~ been about pimping out with all the options. The Cougar was...

Carrying more options increases the complexity of the ordering and build process. It would possibly add more $$$ to all cars, not just those who want the options. The more you offer, the more the assembly line needs to stock in parts, the more training for the installers.

You might expect to see upgrade options on later special editions.

This is NOT a 350Z. It's a pony car, meant to be clean and a little mean. It's not a sports car either, as others have tried to make it. It's not a muscle car, even though it's basically as fast (stock) as an off-the-lot muscle car from the 60's (before mods). It's about cheap performance.

A "Luxury Mustang" isn't.
Old 8/31/04 | 10:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

And most things that are not equipped with the Mustang you can get easily after-market. I have no doubt it will take little time to get heated mirrors, seats, and the like after the 05 rolls out for the first time.

About the only thing it doesn't have that I really would like is Bluetooth to connect to my cell phone and have true hands free capability. It is safer and simpler... In the not so distant future it will likely become standard equipment.
Old 8/31/04 | 10:35 AM
V6 Member

When I saw a new Mustang GT in San Antonio a few weeks ago, I looked up at the headliner inside. There was no center globe light, just the front maplights.
Old 8/31/04 | 10:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Stadifer@August 31, 2004, 6:20 PM
And most things that are not equipped with the Mustang you can get easily after-market. I have no doubt it will take little time to get heated mirrors, seats, and the like after the 05 rolls out for the first time.

About the only thing it doesn't have that I really would like is Bluetooth to connect to my cell phone and have true hands free capability. It is safer and simpler... In the not so distant future it will likely become standard equipment.
I hope so... at least preparation for bluetooth handsfree in all cars... a bluetooth chip costs between 5 and 10 dollars, and prices will drop further
Old 8/31/04 | 10:58 AM
Mach 1 Member

My contour has one touch driver side window. It's a nice feature.

As for the window seal feature, saying it's silly means you have obviously never been in a car that had it. It ensures a good seal between the body and the door, since there is no metal sill around the glass. Not all of us are willing to ride around in a rattle-trap with wind rushing through the car. Thankfully cars have gotten a little more sophisticated in the last 40 years, i guess some people haven't.
Old 8/31/04 | 11:05 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

man, we sure are finding simple stuff to argue about..............why not does anyone know why they dont give us a remote hood opening button on our keyfob??? that way we can just hit the button and the hood pops open to show off the engine???? that sounds as good to me as heated mirrors.
Old 8/31/04 | 11:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Wombert@August 31, 2004, 9:13 AM
Same goes for the bluetooth interface I keep mentioning time and again - the radio has the switch for a phone, and bluetooth needs no wiring at all (just for the handsfree speaker and microphone, of course)
Please, you can't have your cake and eat it too all the time. Go buy a Taurus and leave the Mustang to people looking for something stylish and sporty to drive, not something to plug their gadgets into.
:scratch:
Old 8/31/04 | 11:26 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by SVTJayC@August 31, 2004, 11:01 AM
As for the window seal feature, saying it's silly means you have obviously never been in a car that had it. It ensures a good seal between the body and the door, since there is no metal sill around the glass. Not all of us are willing to ride around in a rattle-trap with wind rushing through the car. Thankfully cars have gotten a little more sophisticated in the last 40 years, i guess some people haven't.
I don't understand the big hub-bub of the windows moving an inch to make a seal. I have had 6 cars now. Some with the metal sill on top and some with out. I have never had a problem with the door shutting properly.

Is this becoming a problem? Are people getting weaker and don't want to shut their doors hard? Or is there some new technology that won't let the door close properly unless the window adjusts?

Despite some of these cars being beaters and some being new, I never heard them rattle or felt the wind rushing thru.
Old 8/31/04 | 11:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

well, bluetooth connection is pretty useless, but the window seal feature is a neccessity for a car with a bare glass seal.

If it was "stupid", they wouldnt have included it. They are smarter than you/us/etc. They don't just hand out Mech E degrees like business degrees, ya know.
Old 8/31/04 | 11:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by SVTJayC@August 31, 2004, 11:30 AM
well, bluetooth connection is pretty useless, but the window seal feature is a neccessity for a car with a bare glass seal.
A "neccessity", how do you figure?

People have been designing and building cars with and without window frames for almost the entire history of car making. Does this make all prior cars to the Mustang's "cracking window" feature bad designs, no.

To me this "feature", as Ford will sell it, was most likely placed into the Mustang due to some other engineering limitation, or cost cutting.
Old 8/31/04 | 11:40 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by SVTJayC@August 31, 2004, 11:30 AM
but the window seal feature is a neccessity for a car with a bare glass seal.

Just because it is included does not make it a necessity.

I don't think DVD players, heated seats, automatic windows/mirrors... are neccessities.

I think it is just another gimmick to say look at all the features you get, lets charge a couple bucks more.

I am not upset about the price of the 05. I am happy enough with it to have ordered one already.

I am just trying to figure out why the big hurray for the windows that move an inch by themselves.
Old 8/31/04 | 11:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

I personally like all the new convienience features especially since it doesn't seem to be adding that much cost to the vehicle compared to the previous year