2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

'05 GT

Search this Thread

Old 9/3/04, 10:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by kevinb120+September 3, 2004, 9:58 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (kevinb120 @ September 3, 2004, 9:58 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Robert@September 3, 2004, 9:42 PM

The M3 will do 0-60 in 4.8 seconds, mate, handily dispatching the '05 Mustang GT. Explain to me how a car with only a six in it, and approximately the same weight, is about .4 seconds faster than the new '05 GT (assuming the 0-60 in 5.2 second figure is accurate)? Maybe it has to do with...technology again?

OMFG how on earth can you POSSIBLY NOT understand that COMPARING AN M3 TO AN MUSTANG IS STUPID. Thats the point. actually 4.8 in a stang would only cost about 1000 bucks if that. The next SVT will destroy the M3 for 20k less. The Next Z06 will for much less as well. The gt is bargain basement cheap for 27k well equipped. [/b][/quote]
Kevin,

The new Z06 will probably blow the M3 out of the water, but Dave Hill said lt's going to cost slightly more than the price of the convertible. Somewhere around 60K is what is expected by most. For that you get a car that weights 3000-3100lbs and 485-510HP. As for the Cobra we have yet to see any information on how much it will really be or how SVT is moving upscale after the M series. For all we know at this point it could cost 35K, 40K, or 50K. Ford could also be moving it upscale by throwing every option thinkable in it. Paddle shifters anyone? It's just a guess now! However I think we will get a good idea of where the price will be when they release the price of the new Lightning.

BTW, I also agree that the GT is priced correctly and the best performing car in it's market range.
Old 9/3/04, 10:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by kevinb120@September 3, 2004, 9:58 PM
OMFG how on earth can you POSSIBLY NOT understand that COMPARING AN M3 TO AN MUSTANG IS STUPID.
Well, then, stop doing it:
kevinb120
Last but not least I loaded an M3 COUPE. 330hp/240 torque. Has all the gizmos, but since this is a performance car, we will have to measure it against SVT's next offereing on that basis. at 45k it has practically no options, EVERYTHING is extra.

At under 40k loaded it would be a great car., albiet a little weak in the power department. I think this is a little silly as it sits now.
B)

Ford is not that strapped. They have more new product coming then any other automaker on the planet.
Well, I dunno about THAT one, but I agree, they have quite a few new models coming out...but then they MUST in order to compete!

I would also love for Ford to offer a $50k uber stang.
It wouldn't even need to be THAT much. Probably $40K would make a damned nice car!
Old 9/3/04, 10:20 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
dont forget Lincoln is due for a near complete sweep of new product too.

I want a V10 stang with SMG
Old 9/3/04, 10:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by kevinb120@September 3, 2004, 10:23 PM
I want a V10 stang with SMG
SMG...?
Old 9/3/04, 11:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Kevinb, why the heck are you so completely against anything not made in the US? Hve you ever driven an M3? Have you perhaps considered the ergonomics?, steering feel, transmission, interior materials, build quality?

SOunds like this is the perfect car for you,

Nice big V8, who needs anything else? Steering, audio, climate, a roof, thats all junk eh.
Old 9/4/04, 05:28 AM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by kevinb120@September 3, 2004, 4:07 PM
, and have NEVER, EVER, needed a nav unit. GPS in the air or on water is one thing, in a car its just a dumb toy. www.mapquest.com or read the signs on the road. It takes much longer to manually enter an address in, and a lot of systems will require loading additional DVD's allong the way(you have to put in the destination one, program the target, put in the 'home' one and wait for it to load) some systems still do not understand and you have to plot waypoints on the route at the edge of each dvd's reach to get you by from area to area). I think its faster to use a list of directions and a highlighter. Most people STILL call whomever they are trying to get too on the way anyway. Nav systems still get confused in tight areas or in tunnels as well.

Haven't you bothered to check out the Denslow system on the LS?

1 DVD covers the entire US - nothing to load. Sounds like you're confusing current DVD systems with the old CD based systems.

When you first set up your NAV system you store your "home" loacation. You never have to program it again.

The LS system has the ability to set up 6 way points on your route.

The system remembers your last 20 (or more) destinations so you don't have to re-enter commonly used destinations.

The NAV system gives you advance warning of any turns. No need to screw up traffic behind you as you try to read street signs at night during a heavy rain storm.

You almost never have to enter a full destination address, as you start to enter an address it automatically brings up destinations to choose from. Ususally I never have to enter even 1/3 of a complete address.

What if you're on the interstate and its at a dead stop due to an accident. With the Nav system, just get off the nearest exit and it will automatically re-route you. You can also program in roads to avoid if you know in advance there is a problem (like construction). You also can pop up a detour route very easily.

The time / distance display is very handy, especially if you like to make your appointments on time or need to call someone to let them know about when you will be there.

With a NAV system if you have a change of plans you just enter your new destination. No need to get to a computer to get to Mapqest, stop and ask someone for directions, which are often wrong or buy a map that you will never use again.

I used to think NAV systems were a useless toy as I'm pretty damned good at finding my way around. But after having a NAV system, it's become a must have feature. Why do things the old hard way when technology makes it simple?

I'm just glad that you Ludites weren't around when indoor plumbing was getting started. Who needs indoor plumbing when that hole out in the back yard works just fine? (especially in the middle of February during a blizzard).
Old 9/4/04, 12:50 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by BlackRiderX@September 4, 2004, 2:48 AM
Speaking of gizmos, it makes me wonder how much cash was spent developing and configuring the multi-color gauges .....
FORD Spent NO MONEY to Develop The MyColor Guages, They were Created by the Vendor that Suplies the Guages. I believe the Company name is Visteon. They just offered it to Ford as an Exclusive New Feature to add to the New Mustang, from what I have read.
Old 9/4/04, 01:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by TampaBear67+September 4, 2004, 12:53 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TampaBear67 @ September 4, 2004, 12:53 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-BlackRiderX@September 4, 2004, 2:48 AM
Speaking of gizmos, it makes me wonder how much cash was spent developing and configuring the multi-color gauges .....
FORD Spent NO MONEY to Develop The MyColor Guages, They were Created by the Vendor that Suplies the Guages. I believe the Company name is Visteon. They just offered it to Ford as an Exclusive New Feature to add to the New Mustang, from what I have read. [/b][/quote]
Well thats good, Visteon is an aftermarket company according to their website. this option makes sense because Ford probably realized that a lot of car owners have been customizing with color gauges and why not offer it as a selling point for the new car.
Old 9/4/04, 01:44 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by BlackRiderX+September 4, 2004, 7:25 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (BlackRiderX @ September 4, 2004, 7:25 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by TampaBear67@September 4, 2004, 12:53 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-BlackRiderX
@September 4, 2004, 2:48 AM

FORD Spent NO MONEY to Develop The MyColor Guages, They were Created by the Vendor that Suplies the Guages. I believe the Company name is Visteon. They just offered it to Ford as an Exclusive New Feature to add to the New Mustang, from what I have read.
Well thats good, Visteon is an aftermarket company according to their website. this option makes sense because Ford probably realized that a lot of car owners have been customizing with color gauges and why not offer it as a selling point for the new car. [/b][/quote]
B-I-N-G-O! We have a Winner! That's exactly why Visteon Offered it to Ford.
Old 9/4/04, 01:55 PM
Team Mustang Source

Correct me if i'm wrong but I belive that added accessories decreases horsepower. This is why they were omitted on early muscle cars.
Old 9/4/04, 02:37 PM
V6 Member

Nav is an awesome feature...I've come across a few people (myself included) who thought it wasn't and they all changed thier tune when they started using one regualrly.
With that said the factory nav's are a ripoff at $2000 (typically) anyways. Nav doesn't have to be intergrated into the car to be usefull. I have a hp pocket pc ($275), 256 meg memory card ($40), belkin bluetooth gps ($175), and arkon suction mount with amplified speaker ($70). It holds 5 ny area states worth of maps + points of interest and I can toss the whole thing in the back when I'm not using it (most of the time). Plus unlike factory systems I can easily change the nav software and transport it to another car.

(sceenshot is from my fav program pocketmap navigator)

My question is how do you add an aftermarket seat heater to factory seats without tearing them apart? Where can you buy the units...does it cost much to install?
Old 9/4/04, 02:41 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Rakshas@September 4, 2004, 12:55 AM
Kevinb, why the heck are you so completely against anything not made in the US? Hve you ever driven an M3? Have you perhaps considered the ergonomics?, steering feel, transmission, interior materials, build quality?

yup, about 6 of them including aconvertible. I took a 325 to lunch today(sedan) and an CLK550 last week. I just sold someone a 330ci coupe last month. And played around with two 740 sedan tradess recently too.
Old 9/4/04, 02:43 PM
GT Member

I'm pretty sure added accesories don't decrease horsepower, however they add weight which slows down the car.
Old 9/4/04, 02:43 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by icemant180@September 4, 2004, 1:58 PM
Correct me if i'm wrong but I belive that added accessories decreases horsepower. This is why they were omitted on early muscle cars.
It depends on the accesory some like A/C rob a little power some add weight. Modern design is better so it is not so bad.
O and for the other guy SMG mean Sequential Manuel Gearbox basicly it is a auto that can be shifted on demand and stays in that gear until changed or can be a regular auto
Old 9/4/04, 02:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by justme97@September 4, 2004, 10:40 PM
Nav is an awesome feature...I've come across a few people (myself included) who thought it wasn't and they all changed thier tune when they started using one regualrly.
With that said the factory nav's are a ripoff at $2000 (typically) anyways. Nav doesn't have to be intergrated into the car to be usefull. I have a hp pocket pc ($275), 256 meg memory card ($40), belkin bluetooth gps ($175), and arkon suction mount with amplified speaker ($70). It holds 5 ny area states worth of maps + points of interest and I can toss the whole thing in the back when I'm not using it (most of the time). Plus unlike factory systems I can easily change the nav software and transport it to another car.

My question is how do you add an aftermarket seat heater to factory seats without tearing them apart? Where can you buy the units...does it cost much to install?
Ever listened to the radio while using such a cheapo pocket pc crap? You won't understand any instructions it gives to you over it's small internal speaker. A built-in or factory nav will tune down the volume while telling you to leave at the next exit or whatever. It works when you are in tunnels or don't have GPS uplink for whichever reason (happens sometimes when you're in a city with a lot of buildings limiting "visibility" to the satellites, like it's the case here in Munich), etc etc.
Old 9/4/04, 02:59 PM
slp
V6 Member

I am far from being a Luddite; being a programmer, my profession depends on technological advancement. But, I do not see why Ford would need to provide all of the little gimmicks people keep demanding. They have been in this business a lot longer than most and, despite what some here might say, they do know what they are doing. In my business, like in engineering disciplines, we start with the requirements and limit the scope so the product can, hopefully, be delivered on time and within budget. Every feature (even if optional) has a cost and should only be included if its benefits justify it.

The Mustang is meant to be a fun, affordable car. To do that, it needs to have a decent amount of power while, of course, not costing too much. Enough niceties must be included to attract the target audience, but the line has to be drawn somewhere; which is why get get air conditioning, power windows, power steering, power brakes, and so forth. The absence of things like heated mirrors, heated seats, and navigation units will not likely affect sales enough to warrant spending the effort to include them. Especially since a lot will be available from aftermarket suppliers.

The MyColor option is one of those I have questioned the need for. Even though Delphi developed it as part of their instrument cluster demonstration, it still had to have cost Ford more than conventional illumination to include it on the car. However, as I talked with a coworker this week about my new car and mentioned the ability to change the color of the instrument lighting, he said that feature alone might lead him to buy a Mustang. I never would have thought it.

Things that will easily become obsolete during the life of the car would not need to be factory options either. Navigation units fall into this category. They require regular updates for which you are at the mercy of the manufacturer. Once they come out with new units, they will likely not be compatible and it will not be long before the previous model will cease getting updates. It is not uncommon to have products become unsupported in under three years; I have seen it happen in less than eighteen months.

I do not know if it is a factor in their decision making, but many options use electricity, which can further reduce the fuel economy.
Old 9/4/04, 03:28 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Wombert,September 4, 2004, 3:59 PM
Ever listened to the radio while using such a cheapo pocket pc crap? You won't understand any instructions it gives to you over it's small internal speaker. A built-in or factory nav will tune down the volume while telling you to leave at the next exit or whatever. It works when you are in tunnels or don't have GPS uplink for whichever reason (happens sometimes when you're in a city with a lot of buildings limiting "visibility" to the satellites, like it's the case here in Munich), etc etc. [/QUOTE]

The better portable (dedicated GPS)ones use 'prediction' software to work while in tunnels. They are portable, but require a mounted antenna in the car for that feature to work. They are superior to in-dash models and cheaper. They are touch screen and auto updating. You can also remove them and type in hundreds of waypoints on a pc instead of tediously using alphanumeric menus to program in addys. The true stupidity I see with them is people go to the trouble to enter in thier friends houses, shopping malls, work...DUH DO YOU ALL OF A SUDDEN FORGET HOW TO GET THERE???? I think its silly unless you are in a business that requires you to travel non-stop, like a rep job(then you dont use your personal vehicle anyway). Using them for one or two vacations a year is kinda dumb. You have to know where your destination address is before you leave, most people will use MAPQUEST just to get the address to key into the nav. If you are visiting relatives, they will give you directions to avoid traffic, the gps does not know the shortcuts. They are all hard to read especially with sunglasses on and glare, the only gauge I need clearly visible is the tach. Driving the car should be your primary concern, not the directions. Nav does nothing but distract, usually more then a list of directions or a phone call.

I also cant imagine listening to a NAV to tell me where to turn, I never use the voice feature. Its easy to see it coming on the screen. Im use to dual GPS navigation in aircraft, so I am pretty good at reading them at a glance to find beacons, direction, and airspace restrictions, so the car one isnt exactly complicated. They simply remove the upholstry to install heated seats and re-install. They are only held in with hog-nose clips. People drive around with worn-out leather on their seats, I do not think people realize at 60k or so miles, you can simply go to the parts counter and order new seat base skins and viola! new seats.
Old 9/4/04, 03:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by slp@September 4, 2004, 3:02 PM
But, I do not see why Ford would need to provide all of the little gimmicks people keep demanding.

However, as I talked with a coworker this week about my new car and mentioned the ability to change the color of the instrument lighting, he said that feature alone might lead him to buy a Mustang. I never would have thought it.

You just shot down your whole argument by INCLUDING the above two points!

If you're a manufacturer and arrogantly refuse to offer the features that "people keep demanding," then you will start seeing a drop in sales and you will begin losing money in relation to your competition - which is precisely what has been happening to Ford.

This is why the Japanese are kicking our butts. They provide superior quality, reliability and features, for good dollar value. And they offer the options that people increasingly demand!

It's a simple formula, really, and those who don't get it, or keep trying to rationalize against it, truly ARE Luddites.

One major American manufacturer almost went under already, late last century, and ultimately, only survived through a merger.
Old 9/4/04, 03:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by slp@September 4, 2004, 3:02 PM
I do not know if it is a factor in their decision making, but many options use electricity, which can further reduce the fuel economy.
Actually, a request for more amps would not cause fuel economy to go down.

It always takes the same amount of power to turn an alternator, except perhaps for certain designs, and then only when they are full-fielded.

An alternator always puts out the same amount of current (amps), but there is a voltage regulator, which is essentially a variable resistor, and that is what limits the amount of amps getting out to the rest of the car.

Generally the current does not change very much though. Let's say your alternator is putting out 120 amps at 14 volts. That is plenty to power all the accessories in a vehicle, MyColor or no.

However, if you turn on your A/C you will notice that in many vehicles the idle speed bumps up. This is due to the fact that the added load of the A/C compressor could cause the engine to stall if the idle speed stayed the same as when the A/C was off. This will definitely caused fuel ecomony to suffer.

Pure electrical devices will not do so.
Old 9/4/04, 03:35 PM
Team Mustang Source

The next auto manufacturer to go is Mitsubishi. I dont see them having 5 years left in the US.