2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

05-06 Stang VS 07-09 Weight difference?

Search this Thread

Old 9/9/08, 09:21 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,077 Likes on 1,677 Posts
Originally Posted by Five Oh Brian
Rocky & Keith, I double checked the weights that I quoted from the Ford Source Books for 2005-2008 Mustang GT weights (see post #5 above), and Ford labeled them as "Base Model Curb Weights."

The shipping weight that is printed on the invoice of each vehicle is not really for that specific car, but the non-optioned base model of that trim (i.e. GT Deluxe Coupe Manual). For example, we get a lot of Mustang GT automatic coupes with a ton of different options on each, yet every invoice says the exact same shipping weight even though those Mustangs each weigh dozens of pounds apart from each other. The shipping weight on every 2008 Mustang GT automatic coupe invoice (deluxe model and premium model, FYI) that I looked at today was 3,398 lbs, but the Ford Source Book says the Base Model Curb Weight is 3,532 lbs (134 lb difference from shipping to curb weights).

Keith - just curious where your .pdf file is from? Not doubting it, just curious who the source of your info was. The info that I've provided is not nearly as detailed as what you have, but I've tripled checked that it is accurate as provided by Ford Motor Company.
Brian, so what is the 3315 lb weight that's listed on my title for ? Is it shipping weight, or something else
Old 9/9/08, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Ministang
I did find another document online that lists curb weights for 2007 Mustangs (this one appears to be from Ford......correct me if I'm wrong), and there seems to be a disparity in the weights it lists for manual vs auto equipped Mustangs. For GT coupes, it shows the auto Mustang as weighing 184 lbs more (3540 vs 3356 lbs) but the GT convertible only getting a 45 lb weight penalty for the auto trans (3657 vs 3612 lbs):

www.shnack.com/docs/2007.key_features.pdf

I did some more searching through the 2005 MVMS manual I posted earlier, and it shows that the Tremec 3650 manual trans weighs 122.5 lbs, while the 5R55S auto trans weighs 174 lbs, a difference of a little over 50 lbs. Anyone actually weighed their transmission? A weight difference of 184 lbs does seem a little high to me, but I've been wrong before.
Well now I'm really confused, so which do I go by ? The Ford sourcebook that Brian posted, or by Keith's PDF file charts. Oh and Btw: what exactly is the 3315 lb weight that's listed on my car's title for
Old 9/9/08, 10:15 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Well now I'm really confused, so which do I go by ? The Ford sourcebook that Brian posted, or by Keith's PDF file charts. Oh and Btw: what exactly is the 3315 lb weight that's listed on my car's title for
That's just what the state says for the registration charge.
Not to be confused with reality.
They go by their own books which come from fantasy land.
Old 9/9/08, 11:31 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Rocky, Karman is right. The shipping weights on the invoice are mostly for registration fees when you license a vehicle. It will determine whether any excise fees get charged in addition to regular license tabs. This is especially important for trucks. Also, there are federal tax credits available that depend on shipping weights, so manufacturers ease the fed's info requirements by providing a base shipping weight on the invoice. Also, here in the Seattle area, we ship a lot of new vehicles to Alaska and the shipping companies need an approximate weight to calculate charges for their customers. Additionaly, there are some EPA and governmental legalities that have some basis in the type of vehicle and its weight, so I'm sure that's yet another reason to post the shipping weight on the invoice.

The posted Base Model Curb Weights are likely the most accurate reflection of reality. And physically weighing the car is the ultimate reality as even identical cars can vary a bit in weight, much like horsepower can vary from the factory on "identical" engines due to production tolerances.
Old 9/10/08, 12:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by buffguy
I know the 07 don't come standard with shaker1000s but I was just curious as to how much it weights.
Maybe 20 lbs max.
Old 9/10/08, 10:25 PM

Rocky, Karman is right. The shipping weights on the invoice are mostly for registration fees when you license a vehicle. It will determine whether any excise fees get charged in addition to regular license tabs. This is especially important for trucks. Also, there are federal tax credits available that depend on shipping weights, so manufacturers ease the fed's info requirements by providing a base shipping weight on the invoice. Also, here in the Seattle area, we ship a lot of new vehicles to Alaska and the shipping companies need an approximate weight to calculate charges for their customers. Additionaly, there are some EPA and governmental legalities that have some basis in the type of vehicle and its weight, so I'm sure that's yet another reason to post the shipping weight on the invoice.

The posted Base Model Curb Weights are likely the most accurate reflection of reality. And physically weighing the car is the ultimate reality as even identical cars can vary a bit in weight, much like horsepower can vary from the factory on "identical" engines due to production tolerances.
Brian, I wasn't referring to the shipping weights on the dealer invoice. I'm referring specifically to the 3315 lb weight, that's listed on my vehicle's title.

In other words, according to my vehicle's title. It claims that my car weighs 3315 lbs. So exactly what is that referring to ? shipping weight, or something else.

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 9/10/08 at 10:27 PM.
Old 9/11/08, 08:35 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Brian, I wasn't referring to the shipping weights on the dealer invoice. I'm referring specifically to the 3315 lb weight, that's listed on my vehicle's title.

In other words, according to my vehicle's title. It claims that my car weighs 3315 lbs. So exactly what is that referring to ? shipping weight, or something else.
The title is state issued (and not from the manufacturer), so it likely varies from state to state. Here in WA state, our registrations & titles list a value code and a base weight to calculate license fee renewal amounts and any excise taxes owed with the license renewal. I suspect your state is similar, and I suspect the 3315 lbs is likely a base weight without options. You may want to call your state's department of motor vehicles for clarification; they would know best.
Old 9/12/08, 02:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

Its the same here in Europe. Every state apparently uses a different curbweight. Don't know how they manage to do this, but here in Switzerland, it determines your car tax per annum which is based on a certain amount per gramm. So the higher it gets, the more these suckers harvest.

I have 3315 lbs as shipping weight in my original title.
Old 9/12/08, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by StangRalle
Its the same here in Europe. Every state apparently uses a different curbweight. Don't know how they manage to do this, but here in Switzerland, it determines your car tax per annum which is based on a certain amount per gramm. So the higher it gets, the more these suckers harvest.

I have 3315 lbs as shipping weight in my original title.

So am I correct to assume the 3315 lbs. which is listed in your original title, is the shipping weight without options ?

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 9/12/08 at 09:45 PM.
Old 9/12/08, 09:42 PM

The title is state issued (and not from the manufacturer), so it likely varies from state to state. Here in WA state, our registrations & titles list a value code and a base weight to calculate license fee renewal amounts and any excise taxes owed with the license renewal. I suspect your state is similar, and I suspect the 3315 lbs is likely a base weight without options. You may want to call your state's department of motor vehicles for clarification; they would know best.
Brian, I also suspect the 3315 lbs. which is listed in my state's vehicle title, is indeed a base weight without options. As this would seem to make the most logical sense.

In the meantime, I'm just going to get my car weighed. As this should definitely eliminate all this back and forth speculating, once and for all lol.

Rocky
Old 9/12/08, 11:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

So am I correct to assume the 3315 lbs. which is listed in your original title, is the shipping weight without options ?
I really don't know....
Old 9/13/08, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by StangRalle
I really don't know....
Ralph, I'm gonna go by what Brian recommends. As this would seem to make the most logical sense.