1994-2004 V-8 GT, GTS, Bullitt, Mach 1, and Cobra

Just bought my first stang...looking for advice

Search this Thread

Old 7/3/11, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Just bought my first stang...looking for advice

Just a quick background.. I'm not huge into working on cars, at least I wasn't most of my life. My dad is a great mechanic and I bought this as a project car for us to work on. I have no issue with learning and plan to dive into the work that this car needs. I'm not lookin to fix it up for sale, this is my project and I intend to drive it till it dies.. or I do.

So I have never owned a Mustang before but have always wanted one. I found a 1996 Mustang GT Coupe but it has some interior issues (I'll list them below). I'm wondering if there is a good place to get interior parts, or even exterior body parts since the body is dinged up a bit. My goal is to fix it up and eventually get a new paintjob once its all done.

It has/had the Mach460 system, but the only thing I can see that is left of it is the amp and the speakers on the left and right drivers side, I don't hear or see any speakers in the back seat (if there are even supposed to be any). The Factory radio was replaced by a Sony Xplod radio which sounds fine but I may put the factory one back in if I can find one. Any suggestions?

The backseat is leather but is torn up so i'm wondering if I can/should replace it with another leather or maybe even cloth seats, since I'm not big on leather and the previous owner already replaced the driver and passenger seat with cloth power seats since the leather ones that were in it were also torn up pretty bad. Any advice on what to do? Is it a lot of work to replace the back seat?

The previous owner also put 17" rims from a Cobra GT on it which causes the spedomiter to be a bit off since I believe the car came with 16" rims. I don't mind this since I have a GPS unit for speed tracking but is there anything else I should be concerned about?

The car sounds awesome, and drives great. I don't notice anything mechanical wrong with it, other than the air conditioning not working all that well, and only blowing out the top vents, but I believe that to be a vacuum issue which I can fix.

The center console is all there except for are in the middle that had a 12-v cigarette lighter (I think). The cylinder is missing and so is the cover for this area (I think it had a cover since the ashtray is next to it). I'll want to replace this if possible. Just need to see what it was supposed to look like and figure out where to get the parts. I'm fine with going to a junkyard but figure there might be a better place to get parts.

Anywho this is already a lot for one post, so any help/advice anyone has will be appreciated. Thanks guys/gals!
Old 7/3/11, 04:31 PM
Bullitt Member

I've got the Mach 460 in my Cobra and I don't have any speakers in the back seat off the top of my head, but then mine is a vert too so idk about yours.

Places to find body panels and just replacement parts in general are either the junkyard, or if you want new look up the site late model restoration. They have some good stuff, although it can be a bit pricey.

I've had the backseat completely out of mine. I can't remember exactly how to do it, but it wasn't hard. If I were you I would have all the seats reupholstered to the color combo and material that you want.

There's no such thing as a Cobra GT. There are Cobra's and there are GT's. Basically get a feel for how it runs and shifts and rides and ask questions if you've got any concerns. Definitely change all the fluids and check your tire pressure. If it hasn't been taken care of little things like spark plugs and thermostat can make a difference in both performance and life of the car. Plus they can be indications of any problems that might be going on.

Yes there should be a cover over the ashtray.

Hopefully this answers some of your questions! Do you know what modifications have been done to it or have any pictures of it? Welcome to the Mustang community!
Old 7/3/11, 04:45 PM

Opps my bad, I meant just Cobra but I guess that isn't what I typed. It had the Mach460 in it but since its been replaced I don't know for sure what all is left of it, I only know it has 2 speakers on the doors that say Mach460 on them. For the seats I think getting them redone would be the easiest, and since I haven't decided on what color(s) for the paint job I'll hold off on that until the rest is finished... wouldn't want them to not match :P

As for modifications: tinted blinkers/side markers, full dual exhaust from the headers(not a catback), and a professional cold air intake(not a tuner short ram), auto transmission shift kit. Also as mentioned above the wheels were changed out for factory Ford Cobra R wheels. There is also a set of custom gauges installed where the CD player portion of the radio used to be.
Old 7/3/11, 05:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Lios
Opps my bad, I meant just Cobra but I guess that isn't what I typed. It had the Mach460 in it but since its been replaced I don't know for sure what all is left of it, I only know it has 2 speakers on the doors that say Mach460 on them. For the seats I think getting them redone would be the easiest, and since I haven't decided on what color(s) for the paint job I'll hold off on that until the rest is finished... wouldn't want them to not match :P

As for modifications: tinted blinkers/side markers, full dual exhaust from the headers(not a catback), and a professional cold air intake(not a tuner short ram), auto transmission shift kit. Also as mentioned above the wheels were changed out for factory Ford Cobra R wheels. There is also a set of custom gauges installed where the CD player portion of the radio used to be.
I would guess that the only thing that was changed on the stereo was the head unit, mine is the same way. Probably a good plan on the seats.
Old 7/23/11, 12:15 AM

For your wheels do you know what size the tires are? The wheels make no difference in your speedo, it's all in the size of tires. You shouldn't have any problem with the bigger wheels, usually it's only when you put on smaller wheels that you have fitment issues. The correct tire size should be 245/45r17 I believe.
Old 10/5/11, 10:57 AM

The 460 comes with 4 tweeters (2 front 2 rear) and 4 woofers (2 front 2 rear) so the back panel behind the backseat should have 4 speakers in it. Unless they used the wrong wiring harness they should be working.

The 4 tweeters run off the headunit and the 4 woofers are run off 2 amps in the trunk. The amps might be burnt out if you have speakers that aren't working.

And if you plan on replacing them, know this. The 4 woofers are 8ohm are wired in parellel so the amps run at 4 ohms. 99% of aftermarket speakers are 4ohm so they would be run at 2 ohms causing the amps to overheat and power off.

I have the 460 and I'm leaving the 4 tweeters in mine and gutting the amps and 4 woofers and replacing them with a new amp and speakers I have.

I'm a stereo junkie so I've been into this for a while so if you got any questions just ask, I could most likely help.
Old 10/6/11, 10:10 AM

I buy all my used interior part form www.prestigemustang.com or local junk yard