1994-2004 V-6 3.8 and 3.9L V6 Mustangs

Weird sputter...

Search this Thread

Old 1/27/19, 02:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weird sputter...

hey everyone my 2004 mustang v6 5speed manual w145k Miles started making a sputtering/gargling noise when I try to accelerate around 2500-3k rpms. additionally, once I hit these rpms the car doesn’t move any faster even though the car gets “louder”... the car idles and drives fine (from what I could tell) under 2500 rpms... also the clutch makes a hydronic/fluidly sound when I press in/release the Peddle sounds like: (wheeeeeeeeesh) while the petal is held in. I don’t know if these issues are related... the petal has been making that sound for the last several thousand miles, but the car (can’t exactly pinpoint the source of the sound) just started making that noise today.... strange. All suggestions are appreciated!! Thanks.
Old 1/27/19, 06:58 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
They may be related, they may not.

I suspect many clutch related things, but whatever they are, the trans is coming out anyway. That's what I can 'hear' here. You may want to wander to a good mechanic who knows such things and ask their opinion. Maybe bring kolaches or something with you to butter 'em up. Heh.

The sputtering/gargling could be that the engine is getting bogged or something because the clutch is so far gone it's not helping matters. OR it could be a blocked up exhaust, clogged fuel filter, bad fuel pump, water in the gas, bad gas... on and on, it's just not enough here to say for sure. And the sounds with pedal action... yeah. Clutch. BUT, again, good mechanic, knows stuff, kolaches.

Watch this video to the 30-50 seconds marks. This video is to replace the transmission, but it has info regarding his diagnosis and other things. Good stuff. This is for a GT, but the overall info is good for V6 too, or any manual transmission, really.
And here's the clutch video from him, also good stuff. Maybe some repetition, but all info is good info, yes?:

And so, pressing on that I've got it 'right'... An entire clutch kit, (minus flywheel, fork, pivot and cable for your car, is less that $100 for the '04 v6 Mustang: https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...lutch+kit,1993

Assuming 3.8L. If it's a 3.9, well, go there. I'd get the Luk or Valeo. No point in gettin' much different than OEM. I just exchanged my OEM from the factory Ford Motorcraft nee Valeo clutch on my '06 GT with a Luk Repset, and it was fantastically OEM.

I'd also suggest just acquiring a new flywheel, as they're only $50: https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...,flywheel,5348
And you'll probably maybe want a fork...: https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...utch+fork,1992
And a pivot: https://lmr.com/item/LRS-7602/79-04-...CABEgIDKfD_BwE
(dunno why they aren't at RockAuto...)
And maybe a new cable: https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...tch+cable,1972
But that's up to you. All this really is, unless there's more damage like the input shaft sleeve, the input shaft bearings, the input shaft itself (splines)... Only one way to find out, get that transmission out and have a look see.

And it may or may not fix the gurgling/spluttering/? of the engine. I still sorta suspect it will, but .. .yeah. One more time.. if you're not mechanically/automotively inclined in this manner... Good mechanic, kolaches.

Hope that helps. Good dang luck to ya and all.

Last edited by houtex; 1/27/19 at 07:00 PM.
Old 1/28/19, 02:53 PM

More details

Talked to a certified ford tech today and they think it’s the clutch as well, my only concern is that if I rev the car in neutral, it still makes the same sound.... could this still be transmission related? When Revving the car, around 3500 rpms the sputtering sounds more like little pops.... also, I have a significant loss of petal response and acceleration.... would just like to better diagnose before dropping the tranny 😂 here’s a video of the sound (listen to the clutch petal at the beginning too)
Attached Files
Old 1/29/19, 10:01 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
It's definitely the clutch, throwout bearing, input sleeve... whatever, again, that transmission is comin' out. Sorry. Things happen.
Old 1/31/19, 05:16 PM

Big Update Time!

Just picked up the car from the shop, paid for a new clutch, pressure plate, resurfaced flywheel, and new throw out bearing (also swapped rear main seal). This resolved the clutch petal noise.BUT around 3k rpms, it still sounds like little pieces of metal flinging around creating a banging sound... also, after picking up the car, the passanger side cat was smoking pretty bad (looked like oil residue was just burning off), but I noticed the exhaust pipe was blowing significantly more air out than the driver's side, which wasn't smoking. (both cats appear to some some rust)... Also, the car is still bogging down under acceleration and won't rev any higher than 4k. Do you think Maybe I have a clogged/Busted cat? Or do you think that this is motor related?

BTW, my exhaust is a custom divorced cat-back with flowmaster 40's (retains stock cats + sensors) I have pacesetter shorty headers to fix the infamous header tick. Thanks!!!