Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

will it work

Search this Thread

Old 2/21/12, 08:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i got her running yesterday.i still have a few things to attend to: burned a sparkplug wire.so i ordered some booties,i left the fuel lines long till i figure were i want to leave it,need to hook up the throttle linkage,and i still have my msd wires i need to hide,i also have a header leak because i tried to short cut and not loosen the collector(oops).but besides that it fired right up on the first try.i have the timing set at 15* on 93 octane.i am gonna try to get 17* out of it after i drive it a little bit.but i can already tell its a whole new animal.the throttle response is off the chart.no backfiring,popping, or ticking,the exhaust note sounds way more sick.i am very pleased and i cant wait to take it for a spin.in a week or so after i fix the exhaust leak i will post a video.
i have a before and after pic.the before is a recent before.the motor looked terrible when i bought it but i am just showing the prebuild only.the after is what it looks like now but like i stated i still need to clean things up. enjoy
Attached Images   
Old 2/22/12, 06:26 AM
Cobra R Member

Old 3/2/12, 08:36 PM
Bullitt Member

ok still got some stuff to button up but here is a vid
Old 3/2/12, 08:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Old 3/3/12, 01:21 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Very mean!!! Love it!
Old 3/3/12, 03:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks
Old 3/5/12, 09:01 PM

Sweet and nice work. Neighbors are gonna love you.
Old 3/5/12, 09:26 PM
Bullitt Member

yeah wait till i get my 10 series on!haha.

thanx
Old 3/5/12, 10:07 PM
Cobra R Member

Dang this is very nice! Love seeing projects like this on here!
Old 3/6/12, 03:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanx man.I've owned the car a little over 3 years now.I paid 500$ for this beast.now I'm about 8000$ in.lol and that's with bargain shopping parts ebay etc.

The car is running great.I just picked up a starter today cause when it gets hot it won't crank, even with a starter blanket on it.and my new dizzy should be in today.then I still need to hook up my new gauges and gauge pod.I also need to hook up my adjustable fuel pressure regulator.
Old 3/6/12, 03:06 PM
Bullitt Member

After all that she will be road worthy again.then I can put my new exhaust and lower control arms on that are sitting on my shelf.
Old 3/8/12, 08:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by onebadvert
i got her running yesterday.i still have a few things to attend to: burned a sparkplug wire.so i ordered some booties,i left the fuel lines long till i figure were i want to leave it,need to hook up the throttle linkage,and i still have my msd wires i need to hide,i also have a header leak because i tried to short cut and not loosen the collector(oops).but besides that it fired right up on the first try.i have the timing set at 15* on 93 octane.i am gonna try to get 17* out of it after i drive it a little bit.but i can already tell its a whole new animal.the throttle response is off the chart.no backfiring,popping, or ticking,the exhaust note sounds way more sick.i am very pleased and i cant wait to take it for a spin.in a week or so after i fix the exhaust leak i will post a video.
i have a before and after pic.the before is a recent before.the motor looked terrible when i bought it but i am just showing the prebuild only.the after is what it looks like now but like i stated i still need to clean things up. enjoy
i was looking at some old pics and i found a little bit older before
Attached Images  
Old 3/8/12, 09:12 PM
Bullitt Member

update:
i ordered a new msd dizzy because my timing wasnt advancing properly.

i wasnt getting pressure on my fuel gauge which is mounted at the carb.i had a feeiling that the fuel was free flowing to much through the return do to my configuration.so i installed a holley adjustable fuel pressure regulator.it has 2 out ports on it.so i used one for the carb and the other for the return.now im getting pressure on the gauge but im only reading 2 psi.but the reg is leaking a pretty good on the side that goes to the carb because the knuckle head at autozone sold me the wrong fittings so im gonna fix that first.and i have a valve im gonna install on my return line so i can do some testing to verify that the return is the issue.i dont think it is running lean.it actually seemed to run rich a bit.and when i open it up the 2 psi doesnt drop at all.if it does end up being the pump i doe have a holley blue on standby.

i used to have a heat soaked starter problem.i installed a started blanket last year and it seemed to be ok.but i guess now with the added hp my headers are putting off a little extra heat.so i went ahead and picked up a new starter.

after i solve these couple issues i have some other parts waiting to be installed.i have some 10 series flowmaster, umi lift bars(formerly known as south side machine),starter,dash mounted gauge pod and gauges, and i plan on fabbing some subframe connectors and t box reinforcements.i plan on doing the mufflers,lift bars, t box,and subframes at the same time.basically because the car is gonna need to be level for the subframes and control arm install,so may as well have a weldathon.

also after reading another forum i decided to make a torque link.i just so happed to have a brand new turn buckle in the garage just waiting to be installed.this will be one of the last things i do on the list as its not as important or fun.but this is where im at.

if anyone is curious about anything or has any questions or tip let me kow.

Last edited by onebadvert; 3/8/12 at 10:14 PM.
Old 3/8/12, 09:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Just some pics
Attached Images     
Old 3/11/12, 07:54 AM
Cobra R Member

Sounds good and nice job sofar. I heat soaked my share of starters and tried a starter blanket w/o good results, I still head soaked my starter. I then converted to a mini starter set up and havent had any problems since and I do not need the blanket anymore either. The mini starter is much, much more smaller and lighter than the stocker. I was really suprised.
Old 3/11/12, 10:13 AM
Bullitt Member

yeah i really want a mini but unfortunatley the wallet didnt allow it.so for now im hoping the 90 day warrantied junkyard model will get me by. thanx
Old 3/15/12, 07:55 PM
Bullitt Member

ok,when i installed the new dizzy it plugs right into my msd box.by doing that it eliminated the ignition module.so from doing that my fuel pump will only prime but will not run when i start the car.the ignition modul sends a ground signal to the fuel pump relay to turn the pump on.so what i need to do is remove the signal wire that goes from eec to fuel pump relay and ground it to chassis.my problem is i cant tell on the schematic which one it is. think its the tan/light green wire that goes to port 22. can anyone verify this?
Attached Thumbnails will it work-image-421037826.jpg  

Last edited by onebadvert; 3/15/12 at 07:56 PM.
Old 3/18/12, 04:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Ok I grounded the tan light green wire and now the fuel pump relay works great.
Old 3/24/12, 12:51 PM
Bullitt Member

ok.so new starter works great.the car is running beastly now.took it for a few test spins.

i moved on the installing my 10 series flowmasters.i had 40 series on there but i like it loud.i even dumped the 10s.here is a short vid of the new exhaust.

so after i got the exhaust wrapped up i moved on to suspension.i am installing UMI lift bars (formely known as southside machine).just the lowers though.i am going to box my stock uppers

.i am also reinforcing the the torque boxes which is pretty much required for these arms.i fabbed up my own torque box reinforments.i found a scematic online.if anyone else would like to do the same let me know and i can share the link.

anyways i got the rear suspension ripped out and was getting eady to start welding when i noticed my gas for my welder was empty.so the project is on temporary delay.when i get the arms and reinforments done i will also be installing custom fabbed sub frame connectors.
Attached Thumbnails will it work-image-3080770015.jpg