Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Off topic but what tools do you use

Search this Thread

Old 9/2/07, 10:43 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Off topic but what tools do you use

I realize that this is off topic and will either get relocated or deleted but i'm just wondering what kind of tools do the people on this board generally use. I'm started my first year of an auto mechanics program at local college and i'm gonna need a full set of tools by the time I graduate in two years so i'm looking for some good recommendations on some starter sets, were looking at about $500 to $800.
Old 9/5/07, 07:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Craftsman sets will work well, arent all that expensive, and have a lifetime warranty. Cant really go wrong there. Occasionally they have them on sale, mainly around holidays and such. You can pick up a pretty big set of tools. Im guessing you dont have a toolbox yet either?
Old 9/5/07, 07:25 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Craftsman also. easy replace, great quality
Old 9/5/07, 07:32 PM
Bullitt Member

687 pc set, 549.99
Its not the uberprofessionalratchetingeverything set...but itll sure as hell do. And im willing to bet youll have pretty much everything you need

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...&sbv=Craftsman
Old 9/5/07, 07:37 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
yep craftsman here also. SAome from my Father. Hell I returned a screw driver that was at least 35 years old with no problems. Good tools good price good warranty.
Old 9/5/07, 07:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Mainly Craftsman and some misc. cheap tools or specialty tools I have collected over the years.
Old 9/5/07, 08:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have a lot of snap-on stuff, I wouldn't recommend them unless you're really hardcore into mechanicing 'cause they're pricey.
Old 9/6/07, 07:39 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Whatever you do don't buy that cheap-*** crappy import stuff. Nothing worse than wrenching and busting a knuckle because you blew your wrench apart. Pay the extra money for good (real) life-time warranty. Within reason that is, I personally wouldn't buy Snap-On, as they are WAY over priced and you can get just as good tools for a 1/3 of the price. (Not knocking Snap-On as it is good stuff just way overpriced)
A few names that come to mind;
Craftsman
Blackhawk
Proto

I use
Blackhawk (Sockets, ratchets & wrenches, etc)
Channel Lock (Pliers, diagonal cutters, etc)
Vice Grip (Locking pliers, clamps, etc)
Klein (Screwdrivers, nutdrivers, etc)
Lisle & OTC (Specialty tools)
Old 9/6/07, 03:53 PM
GT Member

thanks for all of the replies, we just spent about $750 yesterday on a 348pc craftsman set, set of prybars, a torque wrench, and a couple of other tools, as far as a box we had already gotten a kobalt toolbox
that was on sale for $525 down from about $680 to $700, and today i brought both the boxes and tools and got compliments on the boxes and the tools came in handy while doing a few compression tests.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...egory%3DKobalt
^^^^^
we got the newer version of these boxes since they were the same price while those were on clearance but at the same price
Old 9/6/07, 05:15 PM
Service Manager

Received 439 Likes on 216 Posts
Craftsman is fine for the hobby mechanic....but if you use them daily like I do then you will appreciate Matco or Snap-on....yes they are more expensive but they are worth it in many cases. I still use Craftsman for some things but Matco is my primary tool of choice...mainly because of the service....Snap-on dealers tend to have their heads stuck up their butts.

Craftsman also has a professional series that is better than their standard....trust me, use a Craftsman screwdriver all day vs a Matco or Snap-on and you'll never go back to Craftsman...they feel better and are easier on your hands.

Buy the Craftsman first and then pick the tools you want/need off the tool truck...

Also do NOT buy cheap junk like hammers or prybars...a good friend of mine had a cheap hammer break when he hit a spindle and had to have a fragment surgically removed!
Old 9/9/07, 09:18 PM

Tools that you will use ocassionally, I say craftsman. Tools you will use everyday all day like impacts and sockets. Buy Snapon, Matco. I have a 3/8 drive matco impact I use all day long and love it. I have a 3/4 drive Blue Point for the stuff the 3/8 cant handle (which isnt much). Blue Point is a a cheaper line that the snap on truck offers. I suggest when you buy your wobble/swivel sockets get the snap on or matco stuff. I use swivle sockets all the time, and the $300 and something bucks they cost is high but worth it.
Old 10/6/07, 09:33 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Valentino
I have a lot of snap-on stuff, I wouldn't recommend them unless you're really hardcore into mechanicing 'cause they're pricey.
no kidding $40 for a pair of needle nose pliers
I use craftsman the best thing about them is even if the tool has just a chip in it they'll replace it
Old 10/6/07, 10:15 AM
Service Manager

Received 439 Likes on 216 Posts
Originally Posted by bluethunderhorse
no kidding $40 for a pair of needle nose pliers
I use craftsman the best thing about them is even if the tool has just a chip in it they'll replace it
Just like with anything else...you get what you pay for. But there are different warranties. Take Screwdrivers....Craftsman drivers wear out very quickly and if you have a tough phillips head you will strip it while a Snap-on or Matco will get a better grip on it. Now Craftsman will warranty just about anything....with a screwdriver Snap-on will just replace the shaft and not the handle....Matco will replace the entire driver. Snap-on Customer service is among the worst though which is why I deal with Matco...they seem to appreciate your business while Snap-on's attitude most of the time is "buy something or get off the truck" and then if you have a warranty issue a lot of them aren't very helpful about it.