Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Inner Tie Rods

Search this Thread

Old 9/9/05, 04:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ive got to replace the inner tie rods on our car and I was told by my auto mechanics teacher that I had to have a special tool to get them off but he didnt tell me what it was. I looked at our Ford service manual and I looks like I could get htem off with a regular wrench. So do I really need some kind of special tool and if so what? Also where can I get some good tie rods at a decent price?
Old 9/9/05, 06:01 PM
GT Member

Here's a picture of what he is talking about.
If you should buy one be aware there are two types that look alot alike.
This one pictured is for breaking lose ty rods.

The other one looks similar but is shorter with a wider set of forks.
It is used for Ball joints.

Both are used in conjunction with a big hammer and a lot of force.
Sometimes once you have it firmly hammered in you can jump on it with your body weight to break the components aparts.

Of course you will need to remove the cotter key and nut that's the easy part. Good luck don't hit your thumb with the hammer.
Old 9/10/05, 09:45 AM
Service Manager

Received 447 Likes on 221 Posts
I have to disagree with the tool pictured above. That tool is designed for removing ball joints but it will damage them and/or the boots. This is especially an area of concern on something like a Mustang SVO where the ball joints are not serviceable and therefore you cannot afford to damage them....but that is another lesson. Bottom line...DO NOT use that tool. I have that tool here in my shop and we work on Mustangs daily and it is NEVER used!

You do not need anything special to replace inner tie rod ends....a wrench will do. IF you need to remove the outer tie rod end rather than use that tool you can simple smack firmly, the spindle after unbolting the castle nut and the tie rod will fall out...very simple and effective means. You can do the same for ball joint removal from the spindle. We use these methods sometimes daily and they work perfectly.
Old 9/10/05, 10:13 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks Paul. Ive know got an idea of what I have to do. Now I just have to find a good set of some.