Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Gary's Red Vert

Search this Thread

Old 10/13/09, 06:24 PM

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
Yeah. The whole 1G, 2G, 3G thing has me scratching my head. Now I see what you went through. How did you end up making your connections? How many wires were on your stock alternator. I'm just a little confused about how to wire that part up. In the 2007 it was a simple swap.
It's easy after you figure it out. I had some links in my notch thread but I lost them in the crash. I hooked up the 4-gauge from the starter solenoid to the fuse then to the back of the alt. I hooked up the harness they gave me to the one wire, and plugged in the other wire. I think I just capped off the old power wires because something feeds off of them. I also added a 4-gauge ground from the battery to the chassis.
Old 10/13/09, 06:26 PM
BoogieNights Studios:
Official Fluffer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by edumspeed
Suposedly electric fan equipped vehicles get better mpg than clutch type fans If the clutch is disengaged, it actually free wheels so not to cause load to the engine
If I am thinking right when the clutch engages it causes a lil hesitation on the motor so the motor has to compensate for that and puts a lil more fuel into the motor because of that. and when it disengages it has to back off hte fuel due to the load being lightened. I think I explained it good. Thats why you get a lil better gas mileage then with a fan clutch.
Old 10/13/09, 06:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member Pr

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Thanks for clarifying it Dennis
Old 10/13/09, 06:39 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Notch
It's easy after you figure it out. I had some links in my notch thread but I lost them in the crash. I hooked up the 4-gauge from the starter solenoid to the fuse then to the back of the alt. I hooked up the harness they gave me to the one wire, and plugged in the other wire. I think I just capped off the old power wires because something feeds off of them. I also added a 4-gauge ground from the battery to the chassis.
Take some pics for me of that harness/one wire connection. Starter, battery, ground, I get. But I wanted to see how many wires were in the stock harness and in PA's connection.
Old 10/13/09, 06:47 PM

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
I'll see. I won't have time anytime soon, but PA's directions were pretty clear except for the power wire part.
Old 10/13/09, 06:52 PM
BoogieNights Studios:
Official Fluffer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks for clarifying it Dennis
No prob. I try to help whenever I can. Which aint much.
Old 10/14/09, 05:04 PM
Post *****

LT headers are ordered. Along with an off-road h.

I went with Pacesetter headers honestly because of price. My only other option was Bassani and they are proud of their work. I got Pacesetter headers with Jet Hot coating, plus the mid-pipe, for less than the Bassani headers alone uncoated.

Unfortunately they don't stock the coated ones, so it'll be a week or two before I get them.
Old 10/14/09, 10:33 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://www.usedpartslive.com/live/1/.../Axle_Spindle/
Old 10/25/09, 09:11 PM
Post *****

Lots of parts have come in lately. Hecksa parts to be exact.

But the most exciting thing is the set of 10th Anniversary SVT wheels I picked up...Wheels are in good shape and tires are roasted, but I only wanted the wheels anyway.

Old 10/25/09, 09:13 PM
Post *****

And the parts...lots and lots of parts.

And the front brakes for my 5 lug conversion. 94'-95' front spindles with '99 PBR brakes and '94-'95 front LCA's with ball joints.

Old 10/25/09, 11:57 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
man i woulda sold you some front LCAs if you'd asked

mine are low miles
Old 10/26/09, 10:03 AM
Post *****

Originally Posted by future9er24
man i woulda sold you some front LCAs if you'd asked

mine are low miles
I didn't know. Oh well.
Old 10/26/09, 01:02 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
meh, just buggin ya.

woulda been a PITA to ship em
Old 10/27/09, 05:43 PM
Legacy TMS Member Pr

That's a helluva ton of parts Gary. Have fun!
I read on a MM & FF magazine that SN95 spec LCAs are a little longer than fox ones to compensate for the wider stance of the car. If that's the case, your front wheels may rub on the fenders. You should check with Paul or Tom that just to be sure You can put SN95 ball joints on the fox LCAs to bolt in the spindles through.
Old 10/27/09, 05:49 PM
Post *****

That's a helluva ton of parts Gary. Have fun!
I read on a MM & FF magazine that SN95 spec LCAs are a little longer than fox ones to compensate for the wider stance of the car. If that's the case, your front wheels may rub on the fenders. You should check with Paul or Tom that just to be sure You can put SN95 ball joints on the fox LCAs to bolt in the spindles through.
These are '94/'95 spindles and LCA's. They are supposed to be the same with the exception that they are a little larger but the geometry is not changed with the exception of the tie rod. I will have to estimate how much to bring in on each side of the tie rod and then take it to have it aligned right away. Evidently you have to bring the tie rods in quite a bit. More than most people even estimate that do this.

This is what I've read in a few different places, but I will certainly find out for myself soon enough.

I know I could have ran a spacer on the ball joint with the Fox arm, or ran a sn95 ball joint packed into the Fox LCA, but I really wanted to try the better (upgrade) sn95 LCA and for $49 for both it was worth a shot.
Old 10/27/09, 05:53 PM
Legacy TMS Member Pr

$49 BOTH! Thanks for the info Gary. I kinda missed the inner tie rod part. It's good that these cars have interchangeable parts. And speaking of that, what about the rear end? Do they interchange too?
Old 10/27/09, 06:03 PM
Post *****

$49 BOTH! Thanks for the info Gary. I kinda missed the inner tie rod part. It's good that these cars have interchangeable parts. And speaking of that, what about the rear end? Do they interchange too?
Hey. I'm no expert. You may very well be right. I'll be the guinea pig.

They do with the exception that the sn95 track is 3/4" wider on each side. So unless you wanna run 8" wheels or find rare discontinued wheels with the special offset, then you've got to try to reuse the Fox rear end and find a solution for the shorter axles.

Most people try to run the sn95 axles but I don't want any rubbing tires and I don't want to roll my fender at all.

The cheap answer is to run two driver side Ranger axles (I can't remember exactly which side but on a Ranger on side is short than the other) but these require drum brakes. Then there's something like Lincoln Mark VIII rear disc setups but they can be hard to find and they are 4 lug so that doesn't work, and lastly I think Moser sells a proper length axle that is hardened, and a couple of other places might too. You also need some custom brackets to mount the calipers on. North Race Cars sells a complete setup, but I'm gonna try to piece one together.

http://www.northracecars.com/Brakes.html

Last edited by 2k7gtcs; 10/27/09 at 06:05 PM.
Old 11/2/09, 05:24 PM
Post *****

Pacesetter headers are expected in here this Wendesday. Th h-pipe is on back order.

But that's fine. I'll be able to knock out the engine part at least.

Last edited by 2k7gtcs; 11/2/09 at 05:52 PM.
Old 11/2/09, 05:45 PM
Swamp Donkey Man Cans

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Man......... Gary when you buy parts you really just do go all out. I envy you, HAHAHA. I wish I didn't have such buyers remorse, I think sometimes I have it even before I buy stuff.

3 times this weekend I had the phone in my hand to call Tillman Speed and set up an install on a S/C, gauges etc. But I just can't bring myself to do it (10K). I like the finds in the bank account better.......I think. Even though I had the blessing from the GF/future wife.
Old 11/2/09, 05:52 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by 07S197
Man......... Gary when you buy parts you really just do go all out. I envy you, HAHAHA. I wish I didn't have such buyers remorse, I think sometimes I have it even before I buy stuff.

3 times this weekend I had the phone in my hand to call Tillman Speed and set up an install on a S/C, gauges etc. But I just can't bring myself to do it (10K). I like the finds in the bank account better.......I think. Even though I had the blessing from the GF/future wife.
You see I bite it off in pieces. Sure when I'm done, I've spent $20k on 7, but it was in pieces. Plus I used cash too. I would never put a SC on a charge card. Or anything like that.

The main SC unit was by far the biggest chunk. But it was used and under $4k. That's another reason why it sat for 7 months. I needed the money to buy the accessories. But doing it this way I have no remorse. At least I haven't yet.

I don't know what's right for you. There's months out of the year that you can't even drive yours. I get to drive mine 12 months a year. It's my second of four cars. It's a luxury item to me. I've got a 3 car garage and I can park it and never worry about it.

You've also got the bike too.

The SC is great. I don't regret it. I'd buy it again tomorrow if I needed another one.

Quick Reply: Gary's Red Vert