Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Gary's Red Vert

Search this Thread

Old 10/2/09, 06:53 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
I'm not King PW anymore. I'm just some guy that has alot less posts than he used to.

If you're reading this Scothew, don't forget to make a good backup if the site right now.
Old 10/7/09, 08:46 PM
Post *****

So it's decision time on many levels.

The car is up and running and while the top works in manual mode only, that's good enough for me right now.

Things I need to do soon.

1. Replace the AOD transmission. This sucks because it will eat up a chunk of change I could have used elsewhere. But oh well. It's progressively getting worse now in all the gears.

2. Replace the front bumper. Evidently someone out there is making MUSTANG bumpers with the original tool equipment, so then it's just a matter of paint.

Things I want to do soon...

1. Stereo...yeah you heard me. Nothing major for now. Components in the front that I could amplify later and co-axial in the back that I could also amplify later. New head unit. Something with BT built in and a USB in front. I'm thinking of going Pioneer. Been a long time since I had one and they've got some decent looking cheaper models. Later on I would add an 8 or 10 in the trunk on a 5 channel amp or a dual amp setup. Convertibles are loud and the stock radio just doesn't cut it. I'm too deaf I guess.

2. Interior aesthetics...Seats, carpet, broken trim pieces and such. This is where I'm at a crossroads.

3. Exterior aesthetics...Paint job$$$$, wheels, etc.

I'll explain a little later.
Old 10/11/09, 12:17 AM
Post *****

Front bumper ordered today. It is a new piece with the MUSTANG letters on it just like the original. I guess I'll try to paint it myself though color match will be a beast considering the fenders have 18 years of sun fade on them.

I wish I could afford to repaint the entire car with the new bumper in Torch Red.

I wonder if I could have it painted one piece at a time. You know. Take a piece off and take it in and have it painted. Start with the front bumper, then the hood, then the front fenders, doors, rear fenders, trunk, and then rear bumper. Then have the cowl area etc. done to finish up. Might take a while.
Old 10/11/09, 08:13 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd recommend finding a quality body shop and ask them about doing the paint a part at a time. Good shops can mix multiple batches and have the color come out identically. That was the way I was going to start on my vert, but got impatient and decided to have the whole thing done at once ($$).
Old 10/11/09, 11:32 AM

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Couldn't there be slight differences even if they all used the same batch of paint? Personally I'd just wait until I had enough put aside to do the whole car at once. Oh wait, I did.
Old 10/11/09, 07:29 PM
My C/T is cooler than Arin is.

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Notch
Couldn't there be slight differences even if they all used the same batch of paint? Personally I'd just wait until I had enough put aside to do the whole car at once. Oh wait, I did.
+1 one on painting it all at once.... different weather/gun might make slight variences in the finish.
Old 10/11/09, 07:52 PM
BoogieNights Studios:
Official Fluffer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Autotooner
+1 one on painting it all at once.... different weather/gun might make slight variences in the finish.
+2 on painting all at once.

Also what could effect it is the prep work that is done too. IE, diff color primer, diff sealer, more coats than the others etc, etc
Old 10/11/09, 10:50 PM
Cobra Member

Change it to Candy Apple red instead! Jill, would be proud!
Old 10/11/09, 10:53 PM
Post *****

I'd like to make it Calypso Coral but that might be a bit much. I've always loved that color, and I doubt I'll ever own a '69 in that color.
Old 10/11/09, 11:03 PM
Cobra Member

do eeet! That is such a sweet color as well. With a SMALL amount of metal flake, that would be a real gem. Fine metal particles so it only shows under certain light conditions
Old 10/11/09, 11:07 PM
BoogieNights Studios:
Official Fluffer

Originally Posted by runningwild4.6
do eeet! That is such a sweet color as well. With a SMALL amount of metal flake, that would be a real gem. Fine metal particles so it only shows under certain light conditions
If I am thinking clearly I believe that you are talking bout a pearl. When light hits it .... it will change colors.

On a side note I am more into lime green. Now thats a color
Old 10/11/09, 11:11 PM
Cobra Member

I think your right Dennis ,Pearl it is
Old 10/11/09, 11:16 PM
BoogieNights Studios:
Official Fluffer

The only thing that sucks is when you accidently put tooo much pearl in the clear. Trust me I know form experience. I went form haveing a lime green and black car to having a lime green and emerald green car
Old 10/12/09, 06:43 AM
The Legacy TMS Lady

Received 169 Likes on 114 Posts
Originally Posted by runningwild4.6
Change it to Candy Apple red instead! Jill, would be proud!
Old 10/13/09, 05:59 PM
Post *****

Ordered some parts this week. I will get pics as they arrive.

But some of the things I've ordered are:

Spark plugs, wires, replacement cap, coil, shocks, struts, springs, spring isolators, rear UCA's and LCA's, underdrive pulleys, thermostat, fuel filter, g-trac bar, stb, CAI, shorty antenna, O2 sensors, headlight kits (stock style), Cobra grill insert, and the LX front bumper cover.

Also got the Steeda front end rebuild kit with all the bushings to replace on the front end and it also includes caster/camber plates.

Items still to be ordered this week are the LT headers and off road h pipe.

Items to be ordered in the future will be radiator and dual electric fan setup (the stock fan has severe cracks in the hub, I'm amazed its still in one piece. I'm also going to get an external trans filter with the new AOD transmission. Magnaflows for exhaust. And then some stereo stuff, nothing major, and finally the whole 5 lug conversion. Trying to be done by the end of the year. Some pieces I won't put on right now. Especially if I'll be taking them off again to put on another part.

Last edited by 2k7gtcs; 10/13/09 at 06:03 PM.
Old 10/13/09, 06:07 PM

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Sounds awesome! You might want a bigger alternator too if you're going with UDPs, electric fan, and audio. 75amp ain't much.
Old 10/13/09, 06:09 PM
Legacy TMS Member Pr

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Why ditch the fan clutch? The blades themselves are like $40 and the clutch itself for $50 on Autozone. It's more reliable than electric fans. If you still want to go electric, a great mod is to put a Contour fan assembly. It's almost a drop in, and since it's a dual speed fan like on later Mustangs, it blows more air than any aftermarket fan, even outflows duals. I'll try to find the article on my old MM & FF magazines to give you the exact model/year of vehicle if you want that upgrade.
Old 10/13/09, 06:13 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by edumspeed
Why ditch the fan clutch? The blades themselves are like $40 and the clutch itself for $50 on Autozone. It's more reliable than electric fans. If you still want to go electric, a great mod is to put a Contour fan assembly. It's almost a drop in, and since it's a dual speed fan like on later Mustangs, it blows more air than any aftermarket fan, even outflows duals. I'll try to find the article on my old MM & FF magazines to give you the exact model/year of vehicle if you want that upgrade.
I don't know. It was one of those ideas that seemed good as I was thinking of it. I just figured why not upgrade? Maybe I can move more air at idle?
Old 10/13/09, 06:15 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Blue Notch
Sounds awesome! You might want a bigger alternator too if you're going with UDPs, electric fan, and audio. 75amp ain't much.
Yeah. The whole 1G, 2G, 3G thing has me scratching my head. Now I see what you went through. How did you end up making your connections? How many wires were on your stock alternator. I'm just a little confused about how to wire that part up. In the 2007 it was a simple swap.
Old 10/13/09, 06:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member Pr

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
I don't know. It was one of those ideas that seemed good as I was thinking of it. I just figured why not upgrade? Maybe I can move more air at idle?
Suposedly electric fan equipped vehicles get better mpg than clutch type fans If the clutch is disengaged, it actually free wheels so not to cause load to the engine

Quick Reply: Gary's Red Vert