1964-1970 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Trying to restore a 65 Coupe...

Search this Thread

Old 8/17/10, 07:13 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe still have? I need to share some with her about it. This kinda brought a lot to the foreground. I see what others have told me from the start. If I do redo it, I won't drive it. If I did, I'd pay out for like insurance. That is $ I really can't just throw away. Sounds weird, I have to remind myself I don't have much $ these days. We'll see. Thanks again!!
Old 8/17/10, 07:19 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK, hope to see you back again......

Originally Posted by eliyarbrough
Maybe still have? I need to share some with her about it. This kinda brought a lot to the foreground. I see what others have told me from the start. If I do redo it, I won't drive it. If I did, I'd pay out for like insurance. That is $ I really can't just throw away. Sounds weird, I have to remind myself I don't have much $ these days. We'll see. Thanks again!!
Old 8/17/10, 08:07 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
I gotta say, cool you cared enough about the car to put your time and money in it, most folks would say nuts to put that into someone elses car, but I can relate- for different reasons, on another 65 ford...
My old friend/neighbor still had the 65 ltd he bought new- was his first new car, was still his baby..had been stored almost steady since 78, he took it out once or twice a year, washed/waxed it every few weeks...he lost his wife in 2000, and his health got iffy- the car sat covered in his garagefrom like fall of 99 without even being started for several years. In 03, his health got much worse, went to see him at the hospital one day- said he'd transferred everything into his daughters name, but couldnt do it with the galaxie, as he knew it wouldnt run, was afraid she's get stuck having to deal with it, or just get ripped off if she tried to sell it, he figured the mint trim alone was worth more than the non running car, etc...so he said he wanted me to have it.
Well, I was never in to 4 doors at all, but knew it was really sincerely a big deal to him, and truly appreciated him trusting me with his baby. That day, made a promise to myself and prayed to God I could get it back in roadworthy form and give it back to him, knew it would really cheer him up. I figured it would need fuelpump/maybe tank, brakes, carb, etc...talked it over with the wife, she was on board with the plan, but reluctant- didnt really have time/room/money, but she understood...but as usual I overestimated my abilities/underestimated the cost...long story, but I type slow- ended up pulling the body off, building a mostly new frame, rebuilding rear inner wheelhouses, both front fenderwells, lots of floor/bodymount work, all new brakes, stainless lines, all stainless bolts, new timing chain/oilpan, detailed/painted just about every part of the car you cant see, and the roof/one quarter panel...Ben watched as we worked on it, at first he was upset, then he saw the frame and felt bad about not just scrapping it, I was like 'no biggie...' He enjoyed seeing it all come back together...well about 1000 hours and several thousand dollars later, it was roadworthy again- not restored by any means, just freshened up/patched where needed, but its presentable. We took it over to him with a big bow on the bumper, I handed him the keys and he got a little choked up, but wouldnt take it...he did go to a couple cruise-ins with me and the boys, and healthwise was doing great for all he'd been thru...he only drove the Gal one more a few days before he accidentally bumped into someone in his other car, decided that day he was too old to drive and never did again. He passed away just before thanksgiving of 04.
04 really sucked- I lived between two of the coolest families (lived there 20 yrs, bought the house just out of highschool), their kids had married, they had common grandkids, next house up was my model airplant flying buddy Al, they were all 76-77 yrs old lost all three of them in a span of a few months...

anyway, if your into old car/old folks stories, heres a link to the 'diary' I kept as I started getting way way over my head on the galaxie, a lot of pictures of rust...

http://www.fordmuscle.com/forums/gal...ong-story.html

good luck with your mustang/friend...I might suggest if you are going to get into it, keep a lot of pics of before/during/after, and a diary/blog whatever you might want to call it, of all the rusted,broken bolts, skinned knuckles, etc...I got so far over my head on this thing, it helped when I started getting burned out, looking back at the frustrations and progress to date...biggest single stumbling block on old cars in my opinion is not the time/money (which are big for sure) but the burnout/lack of ambition that has turned many a automotive project into a craigslist basketcase...
Tim
Old 8/18/10, 03:22 PM
Cobra R Member

Yeah, I'm just not that right in the brain's department though!! We chatted online last night. We decided I will take the car back to where I got it, her folk's house. I was OK with that, last night. Think I typed, but it not even being able to start for however long it was put crap in perspective! I began to see it how other seen this process. I'm disabled, so my funds are very limited! It is not smart for me to even pay for the insurance on a car that will never be mine! She understood this. She said I could just take it back. It has sank in to my head, not sure I like that either. I got started on this because it is a car that needs to be seen, not garaged!! It sat where I found it since around '96. I just don't like that! If she wants to, I can still oversee it being fixed. I will just only drive it to get worked on. I just don't want it to sit for another 14 years!! It had stuff just piled on it. Wasn't a pretty site!

Yeah, I hate to type now. Sucks to do, therefore 'blogging' is out. I'd love to, I won't though. This is all the writing I will do.
Old 8/18/10, 03:31 PM

Sorry it didn't work out for you, but I'm not sure I would spend money on a car that isn't mine. These cars get expensive to work on real quick. Trust me I know!

Can you at least get them to pay for the repairs/restoration to it?

Oh and I would feel the same way about a Mustang that's just sitting!

Yeah, I'm just not that right in the brain's department though!! We chatted online last night. We decided I will take the car back to where I got it, her folk's house. I was OK with that, last night. Think I typed, but it not even being able to start for however long it was put crap in perspective! I began to see it how other seen this process. I'm disabled, so my funds are very limited! It is not smart for me to even pay for the insurance on a car that will never be mine! She understood this. She said I could just take it back. It has sank in to my head, not sure I like that either. I got started on this because it is a car that needs to be seen, not garaged!! It sat where I found it since around '96. I just don't like that! If she wants to, I can still oversee it being fixed. I will just only drive it to get worked on. I just don't want it to sit for another 14 years!! It had stuff just piled on it. Wasn't a pretty site!

Yeah, I hate to type now. Sucks to do, therefore 'blogging' is out. I'd love to, I won't though. This is all the writing I will do.
Old 8/18/10, 07:25 PM
Cobra R Member

Sorry, it was all her $ I was using. I said that, but don't think it was ever seen. The only times I would pay was for like insurance. It would be only me driving it, why just me paying for that. I even said I would pay for the tags & stuff. She said since once a year, she could that as well. Example; I gave her a price of $300 for those tires. So that's what she gave me. I kinda forgot all about the tax & stuff. I think I paid $79.70? That was kind of my fault I just forgot it. On every thing else, was all her $.

I asked if she wanted me to keep it to take it where it needs to go. Said it wasn't needed.

I made sure it would just not sit & she said it wouldn't. I'm OK with this now. Oh well. I'm not going anywhere. I am still crazy about Mustangs! Thanks for your help on it!!
Old 8/19/10, 08:10 AM

You're welcome!

Sorry, it was all her $ I was using. I said that, but don't think it was ever seen. The only times I would pay was for like insurance. It would be only me driving it, why just me paying for that. I even said I would pay for the tags & stuff. She said since once a year, she could that as well. Example; I gave her a price of $300 for those tires. So that's what she gave me. I kinda forgot all about the tax & stuff. I think I paid $79.70? That was kind of my fault I just forgot it. On every thing else, was all her $.

I asked if she wanted me to keep it to take it where it needs to go. Said it wasn't needed.

I made sure it would just not sit & she said it wouldn't. I'm OK with this now. Oh well. I'm not going anywhere. I am still crazy about Mustangs! Thanks for your help on it!!
Old 8/31/10, 03:44 PM
Cobra R Member

I just took it back! I think I did the best mod, I got it running! Here's the day I got it:

How she sits now:

I can't find that I typed this, hope I'm not repeating myself. I like to think I washed the dust off so you can see the dents better! You can tell when looking @ the rims, though. It was fun while I had it. It really got my list started for when I can buy my own!!
Old 9/1/10, 08:19 AM

Looks like it needs some new shocks too. It's sitting too close to the ground.....