1964-1970 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Problem with stalling

Search this Thread

Old 9/11/06, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Problem with stalling

I have a 66 Mustang 200 CID 3 speed manual. The other day on my way home from a show the car stalled at a traffic light. The car would not immediately start. I kept trying and the car still would not start. After what seemed like an hour actually 5 minutes the car finally started. This has happened once before and I pumped the gas pedal (mistake). I had to wait about fifteen minutes before she started. This time I did not step on the gas so I'm not really sure what the problem is. Any help or advice would be appreciated.
Old 9/13/06, 10:02 AM

Sound like maybe a vapour lock in the fuel line. I think this happens because the fuel line gets too hot. Try insulating the line or routing it away from the motor a little to see if that stops it.
Old 9/13/06, 04:32 PM

What is the best thing to use for isulating the fuel line?
Old 9/14/06, 07:28 AM

I would try a cheap fix first to see if that is the problem. Maybe take a 2' length of rubber heater or fuel hose and cut a slit the whole length so you can slide it over your factory metal line. If that does fix the problem then if your car is staying stock you could probably get fuel line insulation at a perormance car supply. Shouldn't be too hard to find something, race cars are always looking to keep fuel lines cool. If your car is not stock you could replace the factory hard line with a stainless braded line. This should add some insulation and look cool to.
I've also managed to help this by pulling the hard line away from the motor if it's touching. Just pulling it away an inch can some times help.
Old 9/14/06, 01:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

It could be a clogged fuel filter also. It's not uncommon for debree to temporarily block things up and then get set free from the backwash when it shuts down. I actually run a clear visible filter with a reusable element now instead of the stock style so it's easier to tell when it's dirty and I alos run a second one prior to the fuel pump instead of just one before the carb.

Your timing could be a little retarded too which would explain why it stalled at light when idle.

Becasue you have a 200 there should be enough eoom in your engine bay that nothing hot is next to the fule lines but in case it is something like vapor lock here is a good old school trick to find out. Just snap some close pins onto the line anywhere you suspect it's getting hot. Wood dissipates heat alot faster than metal does and would eliminate the issue.