1964-1970 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Electric Choke

Search this Thread

Old 3/21/14, 09:34 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have an electric choke. Should it be set to lean or rich? It runs perfect until operating temp then stalls and is Very hard to start up again.. 289 V8 . I also moved to flagstaff Arizona from Oregon. Sea Level to 7,000 feet.
Attached Thumbnails Electric Choke-image-2167479403.jpg  
Old 3/21/14, 09:55 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have an '83 F150 with carb and electric choke. The indication it is set correctly is to be sure the throttle blade/butterfly is wide open once the engine is warm.

To adjust, I loosen the screws that allow me to twist the body of the choke to achieve the proper setting (round plastic body on back of carb connected to throttle blade and has an electric wire out of it). To do this I simply check it with the engine warm, and then twist the plastic body until it is wide open - no further - then tighten the screws.

When it is out of adjustment, the choke still closes the throttle blade after you set the choke on start up (key to on, depress gas pedal to set choke and let off*, then turn key all the way to start), but does not open completely on a warm engine (throttle blade is slanted) and therefore runs rich (really rough idle and some black smoke out the exhaust).

However, most carbs can only adjust from sea level up to 4000' feet or so. At 7000' (I assume Flagstaff), you may need to change main jets.

Also, if you flood a carb engine, floor the pedal and crank a few turns (this pumps the over-rich fuel mix out of the cylinders by letting a full charge of air in) and let it rest a few minutes. Then try to start as normal. Do not wear out your starter. Pause between attempts.

Another trick on carb engines when cold (assuming the main jet is correct and choke is set properly), is after 'setting the choke'*, pause a few seconds. This allows the fuel mist to atomize in the intake manifold (when you depress the pedal to set the choke you have also sprayed a mist of fuel into the carb throat via the accelerator pump). A well tuned engine typically fires right up like this.

Last edited by cdynaco; 3/21/14 at 09:59 PM.
Old 3/22/14, 12:05 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
I have an '83 F150 with carb and electric choke. The indication it is set correctly is to be sure the throttle blade/butterfly is wide open once the engine is warm. To adjust, I loosen the screws that allow me to twist the body of the choke to achieve the proper setting (round plastic body on back of carb connected to throttle blade and has an electric wire out of it). To do this I simply check it with the engine warm, and then twist the plastic body until it is wide open - no further - then tighten the screws. When it is out of adjustment, the choke still closes the throttle blade after you set the choke on start up (key to on, depress gas pedal to set choke and let off*, then turn key all the way to start), but does not open completely on a warm engine (throttle blade is slanted) and therefore runs rich (really rough idle and some black smoke out the exhaust). However, most carbs can only adjust from sea level up to 4000' feet or so. At 7000' (I assume Flagstaff), you may need to change main jets. Also, if you flood a carb engine, floor the pedal and crank a few turns (this pumps the over-rich fuel mix out of the cylinders by letting a full charge of air in) and let it rest a few minutes. Then try to start as normal. Do not wear out your starter. Pause between attempts. Another trick on carb engines when cold (assuming the main jet is correct and choke is set properly), is after 'setting the choke'*, pause a few seconds. This allows the fuel mist to atomize in the intake manifold (when you depress the pedal to set the choke you have also sprayed a mist of fuel into the carb throat via the accelerator pump). A well tuned engine typically fires right up like this.
Awh thanks man!! Very detailed and helpful!! I will most definitely try this out tomorrow and get back with you !!
Old 3/22/14, 02:40 PM
V6 Member

I have an '83 F150 with carb and electric choke. The indication it is set correctly is to be sure the throttle blade/butterfly is wide open once the engine is warm. To adjust, I loosen the screws that allow me to twist the body of the choke to achieve the proper setting (round plastic body on back of carb connected to throttle blade and has an electric wire out of it). To do this I simply check it with the engine warm, and then twist the plastic body until it is wide open - no further - then tighten the screws. When it is out of adjustment, the choke still closes the throttle blade after you set the choke on start up (key to on, depress gas pedal to set choke and let off*, then turn key all the way to start), but does not open completely on a warm engine (throttle blade is slanted) and therefore runs rich (really rough idle and some black smoke out the exhaust). However, most carbs can only adjust from sea level up to 4000' feet or so. At 7000' (I assume Flagstaff), you may need to change main jets. Also, if you flood a carb engine, floor the pedal and crank a few turns (this pumps the over-rich fuel mix out of the cylinders by letting a full charge of air in) and let it rest a few minutes. Then try to start as normal. Do not wear out your starter. Pause between attempts. Another trick on carb engines when cold (assuming the main jet is correct and choke is set properly), is after 'setting the choke'*, pause a few seconds. This allows the fuel mist to atomize in the intake manifold (when you depress the pedal to set the choke you have also sprayed a mist of fuel into the carb throat via the accelerator pump). A well tuned engine typically fires right up like this.
Turns out it was the choke! Butterfly was being held shut and cutting the engine off. Now it runs great! Didn't die out once on me today. Went to the mall and back, then around the neighborhood. For about an hour! Thank you!!
Old 3/22/14, 05:24 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by izaacrudd
Turns out it was the choke! Butterfly was being held shut and cutting the engine off. Now it runs great! Didn't die out once on me today. Went to the mall and back, then around the neighborhood. For about an hour! Thank you!!
Great news! Wouldn't hurt to spray some carb cleaner around the butterfly.

Also, with it being choked down for a bit, time for an Italian tune-up and burn that carbon out!
Old 3/22/14, 06:37 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Great news! Wouldn't hurt to spray some carb cleaner around the butterfly. Also, with it being choked down for a bit, time for an Italian tune-up and burn that carbon out!
I love Italian tune-ups! My '03 got quite a few in one day, this afternoon
Old 3/22/14, 07:46 PM
Post *****

Old 3/22/14, 10:01 PM
V6 Member

Ok, I'm gonna be the retard here I guess but I gotta ask: what is an Italian tune up?
Old 3/22/14, 10:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by flflatsaddict
Ok, I'm gonna be the retard here I guess but I gotta ask: what is an Italian tune up?
Same thing as an "Italian lane change" - floor it and go! Since they're known for not being able to see out the back, you just drop a gear and gun it, hoping there's no one in your blind spot. Italian tuneup = redlining that bish.
Old 3/23/14, 12:32 AM
Post *****

Originally Posted by flflatsaddict
Redline a day keeps the mechanic away.
Old 3/23/14, 11:35 AM
V6 Member

Left for the weekend. Can't wait to get back to my baby!