05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

2007 Windveil Blue Mustang GT500 Tribute - how far is too far?

Search this Thread

Old 8/29/15, 09:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 Windveil Blue Mustang GT500 Tribute - how far is too far?

I'm looking for a little feedback on my current project .
For quite some time now I've poured a mountain of cash into creating a Windveil Blue with painted White Stripes version of the 2007 GT 500 that was never created. The next and most vital component will be either the Kenne Bell (TS1000-05-IN2C KIT $6,299 STAGE 2 KIT 9-19 PSI ('05-'09 4.6 GT) INTERCOOLED INCLUDES BOOST-A-PUMP, FLASH TUNE, COOL AIR KIT, 90MM METER, 39LB INJ, 2.6L
130MM THROTTLE BODY, COMPETITION CONE FILTER) supercharger onto my 4.6....plus another $500 to get away from the KB tune and have it dynoed.

Or find supercharged 5.4 with a T6 transmission out of a totaled GT 500 with a low mileage at the cost of $12,500 + $1000+ for parts to switch out connect if I get the entire electrical wiring harness as well as the speedo out of the donating vehicle. Then there is the labor side $$$.
Which sound better, since the latter takes a extra couple years to save for.

2007 Windveil Blue Shelby GT500 Tribute

Current engine configuration 2007 Windveil Blue Mustang GT500 Tribute.

Steeda 90mm cold air with type 4 Cervinis Ram Air Hood

Last edited by redrock35; 8/29/15 at 09:19 AM.
Old 9/14/15, 08:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A great looking car. Well done.
The following users liked this post:
redrock35 (7/31/16)
Old 9/14/15, 11:25 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
It all depends on what you want. At this point, and money you've invested in this car has greatly exceeded its value. This is a YOU project, where neither investment nor resale value should have impact on your decision.

Personally, I think having the correct drivetrain in the car would make it seem more authentic, but it doesn't seem like you're very concerned with authenticity since many of your modifications are not factory correct for a 2007 GT500 anyway.

You might save money and time with the Kenne Bell. If you're trying to build a car "that was never created," then by all means, do what you think would be best.
Old 9/15/15, 06:00 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Cool Yeah, what he says

Originally Posted by codeman94
It all depends on what you want. At this point, and money you've invested in this car has greatly exceeded its value. This is a YOU project, where neither investment nor resale value should have impact on your decision.

Personally, I think having the correct drivetrain in the car would make it seem more authentic, but it doesn't seem like you're very concerned with authenticity since many of your modifications are not factory correct for a 2007 GT500 anyway.

You might save money and time with the Kenne Bell. If you're trying to build a car "that was never created," then by all means, do what you think would be best.
+1 on everything
Old 9/24/15, 02:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
If you're going to do a true tribute car, the engine and drive train is the most important part. But seeing how yours really isn't, I would go with the S/C on the 3 valve. On that note, if you go with anything other than the proper engine and drive train, I would ditch the Snake emblems and Shelby logo.
redrock35 (7/31/16)
Old 10/22/15, 09:01 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your car isn't a GT500... Personally, I wouldn't bother trying to make it one. If you like the GT500 styling (you obviously do), then keep the bumpers & hood, I'd lose the "GT500" on the stripes and shelby/snake badges everywhere.

That being said, I did the engine swap on my 2005 GT, and outfitted it with the drivetrain from a wrecked 2007 GT500 40th Anniversary.... so can offer some advice in this regard. If you're doing the swap, make sure you get everything.

Getting it to work properly is not as simple as motor and drivetrain. This required me to swap EVERYTHING from the donor car -- engine, tranny, SJB, ECM, engine harness, driveshaft, body harness... I ended up doing the rear axle as well; and all of the suspensions / brakes. Basically, the entire car has to come apart to do this swap. This is not for the faint of heart.

I felt that it made sense for me at the time, as I was getting the best base powerplant, something that I knew would "work", wanted to do a auto-manual swap anyways, and if I recall, paid about $17k for the car (this was quite a few years ago), while getting many of the other upgrades I wanted as well (brakes, seats, suspension), and a set of wheels which I ultimately flipped for $1000. I also really liked the idea of having the ultimate sleeper -- the only exterior mods I have are wheels, and the brembo's up front.

That being said, in your situation. I'd probably lean towards the Kenne Belle. Unless you're in the game to put 650+ RWHP down... you don't need the 5.4.

Last edited by friedmaster; 10/22/15 at 09:06 AM.
Old 10/22/15, 10:46 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
It's your car, your money, your passion. Don't let anyone tell you what to do, what not to do, or what should have been done. As long as you don't represent it as the real deal, it's all good. I have no problems with a tribute or clone. One of the nicest "Shelbys" I've seen was a '66 GT350 clone at a SAAC show this past Sunday. There was no way to tell it wasn't real until you realized that it didn't have the Shelby ID plate on the l/s fender apron. The owner displayed the car with the modified 65-66 Mustangs class and not with the Shelby group.

Personally I like yours. I don't believe Windveil Blue was available as a color on the '07 GT500. It reminds me of Brittany Blue on the 67/68 Shelbys, my second favorite color next to Wimbledon White.

Good job.
Attached Thumbnails 2007 Windveil Blue Mustang GT500 Tribute - how far is too far?-brittanyblue-shelby.jpg  
redrock35 (7/31/16)
Old 11/11/15, 08:49 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Having done the 5.4 swap myself I would agree that it's not for the faint of heart.

It's a lot of time and expense.

But I will say this... it's a completely different animal than a SC 4.6.

I had a Saleen blower on my car before the swap, and it simply doesn't compare.

BUT... it's a lot of work.
Old 7/31/16, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by codeman94

I was leaning towards the Kenne Bell SC myself, but if I only add the SC, all the Snake/Shelby badging will have to go too... I may have over spent enough on those to pay for 1/2 of the SC to begin with. Thanks
Old 7/31/16, 08:50 PM

Thanks for the heads up...

I knew it would be a lot of work to go with the 5.4 or 5.8 but from the massive undertaking you experienced, I think I'll end up going with the Kenne Bell. Much respect and thanks for saving me the likelihood of stalling out midway the 5.4 build. Luckey the GT500 isn't painted like all the stripes, so it won't be to hard to debadge.

Originally Posted by friedmaster
Your car isn't a GT500... Personally, I wouldn't bother trying to make it one. If you like the GT500 styling (you obviously do), then keep the bumpers & hood, I'd lose the "GT500" on the stripes and shelby/snake badges everywhere.

That being said, I did the engine swap on my 2005 GT, and outfitted it with the drivetrain from a wrecked 2007 GT500 40th Anniversary.... so can offer some advice in this regard. If you're doing the swap, make sure you get everything.

Getting it to work properly is not as simple as motor and drivetrain. This required me to swap EVERYTHING from the donor car -- engine, tranny, SJB, ECM, engine harness, driveshaft, body harness... I ended up doing the rear axle as well; and all of the suspensions / brakes. Basically, the entire car has to come apart to do this swap. This is not for the faint of heart.

I felt that it made sense for me at the time, as I was getting the best base powerplant, something that I knew would "work", wanted to do a auto-manual swap anyways, and if I recall, paid about $17k for the car (this was quite a few years ago), while getting many of the other upgrades I wanted as well (brakes, seats, suspension), and a set of wheels which I ultimately flipped for $1000. I also really liked the idea of having the ultimate sleeper -- the only exterior mods I have are wheels, and the brembo's up front.

That being said, in your situation. I'd probably lean towards the Kenne Belle. Unless you're in the game to put 650+ RWHP down... you don't need the 5.4.