General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Electric cars

Search this Thread

Old 7/9/15, 01:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Electric cars

Do you guys think when 75% of the U.S. Goes electric the cost of electricity will go through the roof
Old 7/9/15, 07:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
It will, but the biggest question will be how much it will cost.
The only way for electricity to stay competitive and cheap, new modern ways of producing electricity will have to be implemented, newer generation-safe/low waste nuclear powerplants , and what I'm more excited about is Fusion reactor power plants, when those will be possible on a global scale, we will have unlimited, cheap power for everything for the nearest future.
Old 7/9/15, 07:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Electric cars

Unless electricity gets cheaper seems like we would be in the same shape With the cost of transportation
Old 7/9/15, 08:19 PM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
And what fuel will they burn to produce that electricity? Wind and solar sure aren't going to get the job done. The greenies don't want to burn fossil fuels and don't want nuclear power. They are dead set against more dams. The 'freeze to death in the dark' mentality is just not compatible with a highway clogged with Nissan Leafs.
Old 7/10/15, 07:43 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by tukatz
And what fuel will they burn to produce that electricity? Wind and solar sure aren't going to get the job done. The greenies don't want to burn fossil fuels and don't want nuclear power. They are dead set against more dams. The 'freeze to death in the dark' mentality is just not compatible with a highway clogged with Nissan Leafs.
There is but one logical solution:
Attached Images  
Old 7/10/15, 07:49 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 947 Likes on 575 Posts
Hilarious how electric is all of a sudden green with no damage to anything. Like you said, nuclear is out, coal is out, dams are out, any water driven alternative is out because you might eliminate a snail or two .
It also never ceases to amaze me that the 'greenies' rarely consider or mention the extreme environmental damage done by the mining companies for those precious lithium batteries required for their green machines. Does the lithium suddenly appear magically at the factories? How much carbon is being emitted by the huge (and I mean HUGE) trucks mining and digging, and then the transportation of that lithium for hundreds and hundreds of miles to the battery assemblers? They actually have put a spin on that too with statements like these: "Lithium mining is environmentally gentle and human friendly."
Old 7/10/15, 08:14 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
Originally Posted by NC07GTCS
Hilarious how electric is all of a sudden green with no damage to anything. Like you said, nuclear is out, coal is out, dams are out, any water driven alternative is out because you might eliminate a snail or two .
It also never ceases to amaze me that the 'greenies' rarely consider or mention the extreme environmental damage done by the mining companies for those precious lithium batteries required for their green machines. Does the lithium suddenly appear magically at the factories? How much carbon is being emitted by the huge (and I mean HUGE) trucks mining and digging, and then the transportation of that lithium for hundreds and hundreds of miles to the battery assemblers? They actually have put a spin on that too with statements like these: "Lithium mining is environmentally gentle and human friendly."

The greenies rarely care about humans...they'd rather see the world devoid of humanity and its evil ways. Of course without us eating cows, those walking methane factories will kill off most species and flood the world from the"global warming" they cause.
Old 7/10/15, 08:15 AM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
There is a ton of information on how EV's are less green than the Gas burning one.s It all BULL. People are turning there EV's and High brids in for Gas burning ones in Droves. Look at the data. EV's are never going to be the way. I hope allot of people buy them so there is more gas for me LOL
Old 7/10/15, 08:33 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by NC07GTCS
Tree huggers wanted to construct wind farms in the waters of Cape Cod. The uber-liberal Kennedy thugs fought against them because their view of Nantucket Sound would have been obstructed.

Recently, the same environmentalists who championed wind farms (in western Pa as I recall) then had them shut down because an endangered bird species flew into a propeller and pureed itself.

There hasn't been a new refinery constructed in over 30 years. Thank government red-tape and regulation bullsh!t for that.

And of course King Obanga has pretty much stifled the coal industry.

Keep pumping that good old 93 octane for my loud, climate changing, obnoxious, and politically incorrect V-8. Screw the environment. I drive a Mustang and that makes me exempt from having to give a crap.
Old 7/10/15, 08:44 AM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by TripleBlack14
Tree huggers wanted to construct wind farms in the waters of Cape Cod. The uber-liberal Kennedy thugs fought against them because their view of Nantucket Sound would have been obstructed.

Recently, the same environmentalists who championed wind farms (in western Pa as I recall) then had them shut down because an endangered bird species flew into a propeller and pureed itself.

There hasn't been a new refinery constructed in over 30 years. Thank government red-tape and regulation bullsh!t for that.

Keep pumping that good old 93 octane for my loud, climate changing, obnoxious, and politically incorrect V-8. Screw the environment. I drive a Mustang and that makes me exempt from having to give a crap.
Old 7/10/15, 09:54 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
the problem isn't how to produce more cleaner power, but how to slow down production of humans.
Old 7/10/15, 09:58 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by DarrenGT
the problem isn't how to produce more cleaner power, but how to slow down production of humans.

Or at least slow 'em down from getting in here illegally.
Old 7/10/15, 01:35 PM
GT Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If the price of electricity goes up when most people are driving electric cars (if it happens) it wont be because of power companies as they would just enjoy the increased revenue.. it would be from the government taxing it.

One thing most people do not realize is that they are not charged the same rate for using electricity all the time. Its cheaper to use electricity at night then during the day. In that case, charging your cars at night while you sleep would save you some money.

For a daily driver.. 50 miles round trip... An electric car isnt that bad of a choice.... if they can get cheaper anyway.
Old 7/10/15, 07:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

you think they would have done the smart thing and painted the wind props/head similar to how jets are done which scares the birds some how (not sure how it works, i just know its a whits swirled mark at the cone of every jet engine might actually work....
Old 7/10/15, 08:08 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by Jim74656
you think they would have done the smart thing and painted the wind props/head similar to how jets are done which scares the birds some how (not sure how it works, i just know its a whits swirled mark at the cone of every jet engine might actually work....
We're talking progressive liberal PCers. "Feelings" are what drives them. Logic and facts don't exist in their world.
Old 7/10/15, 11:37 PM
FR500 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Electric cars

Does logic exist anywhere in politics?
Anyway while I can appreciate what technology goes into electric cars I hate how the "greenies" (guess that's the term now) think they're all high and mighty because their car isn't putting pollution in the air. But yet the process to make those batteries is causing 10x the damage to the environment compared to producing normal gas or even diesel powered vehicles. It's stupid really and I hope someone eventually realized that in their circle. Using electric motors to add power while keeping small motors as the primary power source is what really should be utilized more. Not full battery power
Old 7/10/15, 11:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Electric cars

What do yall think will push electric cars? The Feds taxing gas so high. Thought I heard something a while back they wanted to add a 20 something cent tax to gas.
Old 7/11/15, 12:13 AM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
Cost will not do it. I was a contractor in Copenhagen in the mid '70s. Cigarettes were about $20 a carton. The Scandinavians still smoked. Gas (petrol or benzina) is over $8 a gallon in Europe and they still drive. Admittedly there are a lot more diesel cars there and diesel is a wee bit less expensive than regular, but they still drive. That won't deter the social engineers from trying to tax us out of our cars, but it won't work. Most of them live in the east and don't understand the distances in the west. They think in terms of commuter rail and don't realize that many of us live miles from the nearest train station. They simply assume they are correct.
Old 7/11/15, 05:50 AM
FR500 Member

Cost will not do it. I was a contractor in Copenhagen in the mid '70s. Cigarettes were about $20 a carton. The Scandinavians still smoked. Gas (petrol or benzina) is over $8 a gallon in Europe and they still drive. Admittedly there are a lot more diesel cars there and diesel is a wee bit less expensive than regular, but they still drive. That won't deter the social engineers from trying to tax us out of our cars, but it won't work. Most of them live in the east and don't understand the distances in the west. They think in terms of commuter rail and don't realize that many of us live miles from the nearest train station. They simply assume they are correct.
Agreed. For the last 100+ years our economy and our mindset have been reliant on fossil fuels. All forms of transportation, movement of goods and services, road and infrastructure maintenance, construction, war, and countless other things we all take for granted are what drives this world (pun unintended), and it's naive to think we can just replace or stop using oil like a smoker quits cold turkey.

But I'm not so stubborn in my right-of-center, car guy thinking to deny that we need a sensible, cohesive energy policy that utilizes everything at our disposal. We have the technology to make all forms of energy work for us, just not the will and resolve. Until we realize that one size does not fit all, this same conversation will be taking place well beyond our lifetimes.
Old 7/14/15, 08:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Agreed. For the last 100+ years our economy and our mindset have been reliant on fossil fuels. All forms of transportation, movement of goods and services, road and infrastructure maintenance, construction, war, and countless other things we all take for granted are what drives this world (pun unintended), and it's naive to think we can just replace or stop using oil like a smoker quits cold turkey.

But I'm not so stubborn in my right-of-center, car guy thinking to deny that we need a sensible, cohesive energy policy that utilizes everything at our disposal. We have the technology to make all forms of energy work for us, just not the will and resolve. Until we realize that one size does not fit all, this same conversation will be taking place well beyond our lifetimes.
if were talking about the people in the east (lets say the UK) keep in mind that the UK as a whole is no bigger then the state of Kentucky and Ohio and Indiana combined (Brittian is approximately the size of the state of Kentucky) so they have more train stations per square mile/kilometer then we do here in the US, granted they may not take into account the distance aspect or if they do it may be slightly off set by there day to day life...

Quick Reply: Electric cars