1964-1970 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

68 Bullitt project begins

Search this Thread

Old 10/26/10, 12:16 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Sweet, looks like a great project! I see your pint sized mechanic is there to help out too!
Old 11/2/10, 09:07 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The 68 was picked up on Monday for media blasting and I'll have more pics as soon as it gets back in a few days. They will then start body work and then paint.

In the mean time I did get a nice surprise. All this time I thought the car had a 289 in it. Turns out it is a 302. It's currently torn down and I like what I see. It's really clean. I have a guy that is going to freshen it up a bit. I will be putting a new cam in it.

Hope to have some new pics up in a few days.
Old 11/2/10, 10:43 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's what my 65 has in it. Looking forward to more pics!

Originally Posted by OKLACOP
The 68 was picked up on Monday for media blasting and I'll have more pics as soon as it gets back in a few days. They will then start body work and then paint.

In the mean time I did get a nice surprise. All this time I thought the car had a 289 in it. Turns out it is a 302. It's currently torn down and I like what I see. It's really clean. I have a guy that is going to freshen it up a bit. I will be putting a new cam in it.

Hope to have some new pics up in a few days.
Old 11/2/10, 11:13 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Really? Didn't know 302 was available in '65.
Old 11/2/10, 11:55 AM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco
It was not. The 302 became the standard V8 engine on the 1969 MY. I believe some 1968s had 302s after the 289 was faced out. My wife had a '68 vert with a 302.
Old 11/3/10, 09:26 AM
Team Mustang Source

My 68 was an original "J code" car that had a 302 in it from Ford. I had a previous 68 that was also a "J code" car that had a factory 302 in it. Guess they were both built late in the model year after the 289's were done.

Update on the 302........looks like we are going to bore it .040 over and go with forged alum. pistons. Also going to go with a 260-270 duration .515-.520 lift cam.
Old 11/3/10, 10:43 AM

I don't have the orginal engine in it. It's a 302 from a 1968 car.

Old 11/3/10, 12:36 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Falchion
I don't have the orginal engine in it. It's a 302 from a 1968 car.
It's still cool!!
Old 11/3/10, 05:45 PM

Thanks!

It's still cool!!
Old 11/22/10, 08:27 PM
Team Mustang Source

Finally got it media blasted. Found a few little things that have to be corrected. Some shade tree patches on the aprons, and some very minor patch work. Other than that the guys at Classic Recreations said it's a very strong, very clean car. Here are the latest pics.
Attached Thumbnails 68 Bullitt project begins-img_1154.jpg   68 Bullitt project begins-img_1156.jpg   68 Bullitt project begins-img_1157.jpg   68 Bullitt project begins-img_1158.jpg   68 Bullitt project begins-img_1160.jpg  

Old 11/22/10, 09:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally got it media blasted. Found a few little things that have to be corrected. Some shade tree patches on the aprons, and some very minor patch work. Other than that the guys at Classic Recreations said it's a very strong, very clean car. Here are the latest pics.
Lookin real good! Around how much is the shop charging you for all the work? Interested in what going rates are even though I'm on the west coast....
Old 11/22/10, 10:15 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
she looks solid!

have any pictures of the trouble spots specifically?
Old 11/23/10, 08:36 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by StangMahn
she looks solid!

have any pictures of the trouble spots specifically?
I'll go by the shop and take some more pics. I'll get the trouble spots in particular.
Old 11/23/10, 08:37 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by HEADACHEZ
Lookin real good! Around how much is the shop charging you for all the work? Interested in what going rates are even though I'm on the west coast....

Headachez...................pm sent
Old 11/23/10, 03:10 PM

Looks real good Rob!

You're doing it the right way! Much better to get the engine, and interior out of the way.......

I think I've heard of your restro shop. What caused you to pick them over somebody else? Was it just because they are close to you?
Old 11/23/10, 03:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headachez...................pm sent
Thanks! Looking forward to the progress to come!
Old 11/27/10, 03:21 PM
Team Mustang Source

Looks real good Rob!

You're doing it the right way! Much better to get the engine, and interior out of the way.......

I think I've heard of your restro shop. What caused you to pick them over somebody else? Was it just because they are close to you?
Falchion,

I'm sure everyone heard about the trouble Classic Recreations had last summer. They got completely screwed by not only the OSBI, but the Oklahoma Highway Patrol, and the local DA's office. I can't comment on it because Classic Recreations is seeking legal action against an overzealous Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation (OSBI) agent. I can tell you that this all started with a disgruntled employee that completely made stuff up. OSBI didn't have the "chop shop" they thought they did and came up with some weak-a$$ charge so they could attempt to save face. I've known the owner and his family since I was 5. I've also been in law enforcement for over 14 years now and they are great people and I trust them completely. Classic Recreations is completely in the clear and Carroll Shelby completely trusts them and they continue to make the GT500CR with Shelby's approval. In my opinion they are the best shop in this region. Their work is second to none and their eye for detail borders on insane. I can't say enough about them. I looked around at other shops, trying to save a buck, but I'm only building this car once. I want it done right the first time and I know this shop will do that. I'm very fortunate to live about 20 miles from Classic Recreations. They specialize in 67's and 68's so the decision to go with them with my 68 was a no brainer.
Old 11/27/10, 07:44 PM

Well I'm glad that you went with them. I had heard of this case over the summer, but I didn't know it was this shop. I think you read more into my question then was meant.

Looking forward to more pictures of your car!

Falchion,

I'm sure everyone heard about the trouble Classic Recreations had last summer. They got completely screwed by not only the OSBI, but the Oklahoma Highway Patrol, and the local DA's office. I can't comment on it because Classic Recreations is seeking legal action against an overzealous Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation (OSBI) agent. I can tell you that this all started with a disgruntled employee that completely made stuff up. OSBI didn't have the "chop shop" they thought they did and came up with some weak-a$$ charge so they could attempt to save face. I've known the owner and his family since I was 5. I've also been in law enforcement for over 14 years now and they are great people and I trust them completely. Classic Recreations is completely in the clear and Carroll Shelby completely trusts them and they continue to make the GT500CR with Shelby's approval. In my opinion they are the best shop in this region. Their work is second to none and their eye for detail borders on insane. I can't say enough about them. I looked around at other shops, trying to save a buck, but I'm only building this car once. I want it done right the first time and I know this shop will do that. I'm very fortunate to live about 20 miles from Classic Recreations. They specialize in 67's and 68's so the decision to go with them with my 68 was a no brainer.
Old 11/28/10, 04:07 PM
Team Mustang Source

Well I'm glad that you went with them. I had heard of this case over the summer, but I didn't know it was this shop. I think you read more into my question then was meant.

Looking forward to more pictures of your car!
Sorry bout that. I've just had several people ask me about the situation and assumed that's what you asking. They really are a top notch shop and I can't wait to see it after they get it painted.
Old 11/28/10, 04:15 PM
Post *****

Sorry bout that. I've just had several people ask me about the situation and assumed that's what you asking. They really are a top notch shop and I can't wait to see it after they get it painted.
I'm glad you defended them with a thorough explanation. The crap that goes on in this country by "Agencies", and their totalitarian reach that denies you of Constitutional rights, is obscene beyond polite language. They run on mere hearsay, many times don't bother to search real evidence that is easily within their reach, and presume you are guilty. Then you have to spend thousands defending yourself and proving your innocence. Completely backwards of the Constitution. Many times you are denied your right to a jury trial. And in the end, to justify their existence, they will force you into a corner where you pay - regardless of your innocence.

The "I love my country, but fear my government" slogan, has way more to do with Administrative Agencies than politicians. At least we can fire politicians every so often. Not so with the slug staffers of Fed, State, even local Agencies. And I'm pissed off about it!

Quick Reply: 68 Bullitt project begins