Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Convertible. Only quarter/rear window power not working

Search this Thread

Old 6/22/21, 10:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Convertible. Only quarter/rear window power not working

Hello guys, happy to be here!

The two front windows work normally, and suddenly, the small quarter window of the drive is down, and does not respond to the roll-up signal... so my car sleeps with that window open...

Any idea? I guess its not about fuses, since the other windows work normally. This assumption sounds right?

I am having issues with the top too... there is any mechanism or detector or sensor that could override the quarter windows to rollup? The top its closed, but maybe the car think it is not?

Thank u gents!
Old 6/23/21, 08:29 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 959 Likes on 586 Posts
I think you nailed it with the convertible top issue. With the rear windows down, the top should function normally. Since the top is not going down, it is definitely reading the rear windows as being up. It's almost like it needs a re-set of some type.
Uneducated ideas here from me but no harm in trying if you feel like it. Maybe replace the fuse(s) just to see if it helps?? Perhaps the battery?? Hopefully someone will respond with the technical know how instead of my guesses.
Old 6/23/21, 12:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
For whatever reason, the car thinks the convertible top is open or moving. I followed this procedure I found to override manually and indeed, the rear quarter window opens

Manual Override

The rear quarter window switch will not operate when:
• the convertible top is moving • the convertible top is not completely up or down.

The rear quarter windows can be manually raised if the switch does not operate when the convertible top is completely up or down.
The following procedure must be performed within two minutes:

1. Switch the ignition off, then back on.
2. Press the rear window switch down three times.
3. Switch the ignition off, then back on.
4. Pull the rear window switch up and hold it for three seconds. The rear windows will begin to start moving up.
Now the next question is... why the car thinks the convertible top is open?
The following 4 users liked this post by marcosMadrid:
asdrew (4/9/24), Davedwin (12/4/21), Elmer T. Fudbuckle (1/14/22), Hockeydad (3/24/24)
Old 6/23/21, 01:00 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
I would think there must be sensors or switches that are engaged when the top is fully up or down that are defective or stuck.

https://iihs.net/fsm/?d=1096&f=Conve...Switch.pdf&p=1

Last edited by SpectreH; 6/23/21 at 01:09 PM.
Old 12/4/21, 06:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh my gosh, dude, I can't thank you enough for posting this. I've spent the past 24 hours working on this. I finally broke down and scheduled an appointment with the dealer. Problem with that is they can't get me in for two weeks.

My biggest fear was not getting the windows up while I wait. Now I'll order the repair manual and see if I can fix it myself before paying the dealer service department who didn't seem to care that my windows were stuck down and my top thought it was always open.

If I find a solution, I will be sure to come back here and post it here first.
The following users liked this post:
NC14GT (12/5/21)
Old 9/2/23, 07:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 convertible top stuck down

[QUOTE=NC14GT;7062486]I think you nailed it with the convertible top issue. With the rear windows down, the top should function normally. Since the top is not going down, it is definitely reading the rear windows as being up. It's almost like it needs a re-set of some type.
Uneducated ideas here from me but no harm in trying if you feel like it. Maybe replace the fuse(s) just to see if it helps?? Perhaps the battery?? Hopefully someone will respond with the technical know how instead of my guesses.

only opens a little bit and closes the rear windows
Old 9/2/23, 07:18 PM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,588 Likes on 1,915 Posts
[QUOTE=dboy;7078403]
Originally Posted by NC14GT
I think you nailed it with the convertible top issue. With the rear windows down, the top should function normally. Since the top is not going down, it is definitely reading the rear windows as being up. It's almost like it needs a re-set of some type.

only opens a little bit and closes the rear windows
No Worries,

I See Your New, This is an Older Post. See Upper Left Corner By Avatar.

So OP or Original Poster has Likely Solved Issue! If You Have a Mustang I Invite you To Post In Introductions with Some Pics!

https://themustangsource.com/forums/f650/

Welcome!

Mgb,

KC
Old 3/24/24, 02:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
THANK YOU!

marcosMadrid your Manuel Override instructions worked perfectly. You saved me so much time and frustration. I just got done replacing my convertible top and was happy how it came out, but when I went to close the windows, the quarter windows didn't move. I'm so happy I found this thread.

Thanks
asdrew (4/9/24)
Old 3/24/24, 02:27 PM

Welcome!

Lots of Good Vert Info Here Too!

https://themustangsource.com/forums/f739/s-197-convertible-top-issues-lots-factory-shop-manual-pdfs-549940

KC

Also To The Folks Out There a Lot of The Time Your Info is as Close as Your Owners Manual!

Don't Have One! Free Pdf's Here!

https://themustangsource.com/forums/f897/
Old 4/9/24, 06:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Since this thread is still going, I'll add my 2 cents.
First, I wish I had the manual override instructions a year ago when this first happened for me.
Second, after many efforts, replaced parts, etc I discovered the cause and solution for issues with the quarter window not going up and/or the top not operating.
For me, they were intermittent and related to the SJB not registering input from the sensors that tell it that it is okay to move the window or top.
The SJB/fuse box is fairly easy to remove, one 10mm bolt and harness connectors.
I immediately noticed corroded pins so separated the case to get to the board itself. None of the electronic components appeared damaged and the pins were still in great shape.
A toothbrush (not Wifey's) and some contact cleaner or rubbing alcohol will get it all back in order and I did the harness connectors also.

Since re-installing the SJB the top and windows operate perfect every time, and several other vexing electrical gremlins no longer reside in my convertible.

SJB case

SJB back

Corroded pins

SJB board
Old 4/15/24, 02:00 PM

@asdrew

Sorry Your Post Was Stuck in Moderation So Nobody Could View Until Now! Just Cause You Were Considered New With a Large Post!

I Bumped You From Newbie to Member So You Are Now Set!

The SJB Box & Water Intrusion are Often an Issue on These Cars! Thank You For Taking The Time For a Great Post!

KC
ADMIN
asdrew (4/16/24)
Old 4/16/24, 02:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks KC, I'm moderator for the Ford Transit USA forum, so I understand. Thanks for all you do here!
The following 2 users liked this post by asdrew:
05stangkc (4/16/24), NC14GT (4/16/24)
Old 4/24/24, 09:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My micro switch was damaged

Replaced my top. Quarter windows would not respond, but the reset worked. Checked the mico-switch and found it was dangling loose, broken off. Luckily I was able to get one from a junk yard cheap $40 (they removed) and not it works perfectly. This has a connection to the right of your rear speaker in the back passenger seat area. It snakes behind the convertible top mechanism. It has two points of contact to keep it firm and in position. One is a small tube that fits through the metal plate and the second is a plastic stud for alignment. It is held in place with a T20 screw into the plastic tube. This screw is faced on the outside facing in, just under the quarter window glass. I used a finger wrench to fit in the small space. Make sure you stuff towels in the quarter panel space to prevent loosing the screw. I'll post both the good switch with screw in post, as well as my damaged one for reference. Hope this can help someone that has a problem with this switch.

Good switch w/mounting screw

Broken switch, pin and mounting tube broken off

The following 2 users liked this post by Hockeydad:
asdrew (4/26/24), NC14GT (4/28/24)
Old 4/26/24, 10:16 AM

You Were Blocked Again. Thought I Overrode it!

Anyhoo Unblocked Post & Thanks Again For Updating!

KC