Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

Adding Oem Navigation

Search this Thread

Old 12/22/10, 04:20 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where's all the Ford service guy's when you need them? The unit that I found has the Bezel heat and AC controls, nav monitor (it is just a monitor) and head unit! It's out of a wrecked 2011 GT 500 and cost approx. $1200 My car has Sync so I have the microphone on my mirror and steering wheel controls. Would the dual climate be a plug and play? You can operate it with out the using the nav screen! If I went after market do I automaticly get dual climate just because the buttons are there? I would like to find out before I shell out $1200 for a big paper weight!!!
Old 12/22/10, 04:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Chip
Where's all the Ford service guy's when you need them? The unit that I found has the Bezel heat and AC controls, nav monitor (it is just a monitor) and head unit! It's out of a wrecked 2011 GT 500 and cost approx. $1200 My car has Sync so I have the microphone on my mirror and steering wheel controls. Would the dual climate be a plug and play? You can operate it with out the using the nav screen! If I went after market do I automaticly get dual climate just because the buttons are there? I would like to find out before I shell out $1200 for a big paper weight!!!
Get the hard drive also. It is like the brain box for the system. Try to get every wiring harness. The hard drive contains all nav map data. Don't forget to get the VIN from the wrecked vehicle for future system updates. If you retrofit the system in your car there will be improper database information so keep that in mind for later and reference the VIN from the system that is ultimately installed.

Does either car have the rear view camera?
Old 12/22/10, 05:13 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by eurocobra
Get the hard drive also. It is like the brain box for the system. Try to get every wiring harness. The hard drive contains all nav map data. Don't forget to get the VIN from the wrecked vehicle for future system updates. If you retrofit the system in your car there will be improper database information so keep that in mind for later and reference the VIN from the system that is ultimately installed.

Does either car have the rear view camera?
It comes with the hard drive and vin number too! No camera though!
Old 12/23/10, 07:41 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am one of those who really appreciate the value of the OEM nav package, even in my 2008. The total integration with the vehicle sound system and with the vehicle lighting, sensors and connection with the vehicle sensors that allow navigation even when no satellites are visible, and the clean installation with no wires or external boxes are worth the price. In mine, adding the OEM package was really easy, since the 2008 had a double-DIn opening and the Nav basically just plugged in. For the 2010+ the integration is a bit more complex, perhaps too much to truy and retrofit the OEM package. However, if I were in the position of the OP, I would look at this kit from Metra to make the change. It allows maintaining the factory appearance and functions and provides for a double-DIN opening for an aftermarket nav radio. You'll end up spending about the same as the factory unit, I expect, and have fewer of the integrated features, but this is probably a better way to go than looking for a junked car with all the parts in working order.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CLOCL3Lz2M

=Vic=
Old 6/16/12, 09:45 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
I'm resurrecting this thread.

I'm now in a position to get a 2012 Mustang. I can afford a used 2012 GT, but can't go to a new 2013, so looking for a new car is out.

Plenty of 2012 GTs out there for me to look at, but I want a coupe with the panoramic roof and the navigation. I want the oem, not aftermarket. Problem is, there are hardly any cars witht he nav. In fact, I can't find any.

Retrofitting a nav is something I hope is doable. I am no stranger to retrofitting, as I retrofitted pretty much every option on the 05 - 09 car into my 05 - and then some. I retrofitted my colour, the nav, ambient lighting, heated seats, power seats etc... .

I am certainlty willing to do this to the new car I get, just so that I have the options I want, but am hoping that there is more info out there since someone last posted in this thread?
Old 7/8/12, 06:51 PM

I'm bringing this thread back again! I have a 13' Base w/ SYNC that I am interested in retrofitting the NAV into. I have done retrofits in my previous VW Jetta and other vehicles so I am not afraid to rip apart my dash and get dirty.

I also do not mind the additional expense over the aftermarket options, I just think they look like trash.

Does anyone have any more additional information on doing this?
Old 7/8/12, 07:02 PM
Legacy TMS Member

See this thread for more info.

The expense and the effort are far more than you realize. I have the wiring diagram manual, and have cross checked a number of components between the nav car and the non-nav car, and there are a number of parts not directly related to the nav, but have something to do with it (like the climate control system) that have to be switched out.

You will have to pull out the dash to swap out the main harness and the climate control system at minimum. Along with this, you need the nav specific amp, and it looks like the Sync module as well. And I am not sure if you will need to flash the unit afterwords, but good like finding a dealer that will even have a clue what to do.

Good luck with this.

https://themustangsource.com/f803/wa...510233/index4/
Old 7/8/12, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by jim010
See this thread for more info.

The expense and the effort are far more than you realize. I have the wiring diagram manual, and have cross checked a number of components between the nav car and the non-nav car, and there are a number of parts not directly related to the nav, but have something to do with it (like the climate control system) that have to be switched out.

You will have to pull out the dash to swap out the main harness and the climate control system at minimum. Along with this, you need the nav specific amp, and it looks like the Sync module as well. And I am not sure if you will need to flash the unit afterwords, but good like finding a dealer that will even have a clue what to do.

Good luck with this.

https://themustangsource.com/f803/wa...510233/index4/
Yeah I actually just found that thread a few minutes after I posted. I don't really mind the cost, even at 4k it would still be in the realm - however the possibility that I cannot find anyone to code the modules would just be the breaking point for the idea.

With the VW stuff, it was never an option because of Vagcom you could code your own modules when retrofitting new equipment. Ugh..

I just hate the aftermarket solutions, how they look in the dash.

In the meantime I think I'll just install Sat Radio Module (trying to research that now, since I have just the base GT it has no SAT radio but the HU is sat ready) - and use the SYNC Directions until something that looks a little better comes out.
Old 7/8/12, 10:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

There is a guy that just bought the nav from a seller on ebay. I had the seller forward my e-mail address to him in case he needed help with this retrofit (and he will, mark my words). We'll see if he bothers to contact me or not.

The alpine 8 inch screen and their perfect fit system look really good, however. I'm guessing that the competition will be coming out with their own 8 inch units very soon. I would expect that the units coming out in the future will just be touch screens with no buttons. It should be worth it to wait a bit to see what comes out.

Last edited by jim010; 7/8/12 at 10:07 PM.
Old 12/15/16, 12:26 AM

hello everyone,

i currently have this model of bezel, it is the standard one without screen but including the sync module :

I would like to go for the bezel including the OEM navigation, this one:

This bezel including sync

harness with this one is not included

Both models harness are same or they are different, in case they are different, which harness should i get, any reference ? The radio will be probably imported from US, it need to be reprogrammed i believe, right ?

Last edited by imalek; 12/15/16 at 12:27 AM.