1974-1978 Mustang II Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

My 1976 Mustang II Project

Search this Thread

Old 7/10/10, 10:12 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had some local area visitors in my place, and I am getting all kinds of bad comments , like "why are you doing this car" and This isn't a Chevelle or a road runner or a camaro or other popular car". I usually reply back "EXACTLY". If I wanted to have the same boring crap as every body else and there brother I would follow like sheep along with the rest. I reply to them, Just following along like others requires no imagination, no creativity and no effort. I kind of enjoy building something odd or unpopular that when finished if it turns heads which it seems this car does, Then I have accomplished something. It just never ceaes to amaze me.

I thought I would post this because it does get old hearing the comments all of us oddball car owners have heard over and over again. I always felt the hot rod world is about creativity and appreciating workmanship and modifications that improve or change something from the way it was. I also feel EVERY CAR GUY, EVERY TRUCK GUY, EVERY TRACTOR PULLER GUY, EVERY ATV GUY, all need to stay together and fight the far left loons that are trying to shut down our hobbies.
Old 7/10/10, 12:49 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Actually, I was thinking the same thing. Why are you building that car? lol

Originally Posted by Grell
I had some local area visitors in my place, and I am getting all kinds of bad comments , like "why are you doing this car" and This isn't a Chevelle or a road runner or a camaro or other popular car". I usually reply back "EXACTLY". If I wanted to have the same boring crap as every body else and there brother I would follow like sheep along with the rest. I reply to them, Just following along like others requires no imagination, no creativity and no effort. I kind of enjoy building something odd or unpopular that when finished if it turns heads which it seems this car does, Then I have accomplished something. It just never ceaes to amaze me.

I thought I would post this because it does get old hearing the comments all of us oddball car owners have heard over and over again. I always felt the hot rod world is about creativity and appreciating workmanship and modifications that improve or change something from the way it was. I also feel EVERY CAR GUY, EVERY TRUCK GUY, EVERY TRACTOR PULLER GUY, EVERY ATV GUY, all need to stay together and fight the far left loons that are trying to shut down our hobbies.
Old 7/11/10, 02:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Just got in from a car show today and there was just over 400 cars in this show, 172 of them were chevelles. 68 Camaros, 35 Mopars, One Ford Fairmont, no Mustang II's, a few odd *****.
Old 7/11/10, 02:55 PM

Any Mustangs at all? Sounds like it was a GM show?

Just got in from a car show today and there was just over 400 cars in this show, 172 of them were chevelles. 68 Camaros, 35 Mopars, One Ford Fairmont, no Mustang II's, a few odd *****.
Old 7/12/10, 08:06 AM
Bullitt Member

aprox 30 mustangs
Old 7/12/10, 02:18 PM

That's quite a few. Any pics?

aprox 30 mustangs
Old 7/13/10, 07:45 AM
Bullitt Member

No, I am terrible about taking pics. I never take a camera with me. I have friends who take pictures of everything and I just have never been into picture taking. Not sure why, just havent been.
Old 7/13/10, 09:20 AM

OK then......

No, I am terrible about taking pics. I never take a camera with me. I have friends who take pictures of everything and I just have never been into picture taking. Not sure why, just havent been.
Old 7/18/10, 09:26 AM
Bullitt Member

Priced out a new from Ford 5.4 3v engine. I told them I didnt want a rebuilt and I didnt want a performance crate engine and I was surprised for the price. I can get it for $4300.00 plus $800.00 core charge and tax of course. I didnt think that was too bad. I havent ordered yet. If I do buy it, it isnt for this car but instead for my Zephyr but I can use it for mock up for the mustang II.
Old 7/18/10, 10:23 AM

That's a pretty good price.....

Priced out a new from Ford 5.4 3v engine. I told them I didnt want a rebuilt and I didnt want a performance crate engine and I was surprised for the price. I can get it for $4300.00 plus $800.00 core charge and tax of course. I didnt think that was too bad. I havent ordered yet. If I do buy it, it isnt for this car but instead for my Zephyr but I can use it for mock up for the mustang II.
Old 7/18/10, 01:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
I had some local area visitors in my place, and I am getting all kinds of bad comments , like "why are you doing this car" and This isn't a Chevelle or a road runner or a camaro or other popular car".
Did you tell your visitors that manners are a prerequisite when entering someone's home?

I had a black t-top Cobra II from high school up until about 8 years ago. Great looking car, with plenty of room for upgrading - as you are showing us. I WILL get another one when I have a garage to put it in. And should someone decide that a put down is the best way to start a conversation, then they don't get offered that beer I'm drinking.

I think it's pretty neat what you are doing. I love teh performance mods you are doing to this car. I would leave the exterior stock looking, as I like that best, but I definitely can appreciate the craftsmanship needed to do what you are doing. Hell, I can appreciate everything you are doing to this car! The level of organization, planning and the commitment to see it through - far more than most of us have!

Enjoy making this killer Mustang II!
Old 7/19/10, 07:10 AM
Bullitt Member

. And should someone decide that a put down is the best way to start a conversation, then they don't get offered that beer I'm drinking.

This makes me think of that scene in "Vacation" movie where Cousin Eddie offers Clark Griswald a beer and hands Clark the one he was drinking.
Old 7/19/10, 02:51 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Heh heh ... that is an amusing image. Just make sure you backwash before you hand it over.
Old 9/19/10, 06:00 PM
Bullitt Member

has anyone ever tried or thought about converting the cable operated mirros over to electric? I am looking for a kit to do this and coming up empty handed. I am really considering suiciding the doors, something I have wanted to do to this car since I have had it.
Old 9/21/10, 12:02 AM
FR500 Member

How about using a similar sized/style set of electric power mirrors and adapting them to your car? You could use the wiring and controller from the donor vehicle. If you want to keep the original mirrors, probably can try to adapt the internals from a set of power mirrors and fit them into the factory ones. Wouldn't seem like a big deal for you considering what you've demonstrated so far with your project.
Old 9/25/10, 02:10 PM
Bullitt Member

that might not be a bad idea. I have always ust kept mirrors on my projects stock before so it is new territory for me. I know alot of people are not putting mirrors on wild customs but to me they look out of place and like they are missing something or broken somehow without mirrors