1974-1978 Mustang II Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

My 1976 Mustang II Project

Search this Thread

Old 3/5/08, 09:20 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also found a fuel cell that will fit. They have either a 12 gallon or the next one is a 22 gallon. I know the car had like 13 gallon stock but I am leaning towards the 22 gallon as if I decide I want to go somewhere I dont want to have to stop and get fuel often. With the higher prices of fuel this way I will only raise my blood pressure once in the day instead of a couple of times if I go on a longer cruise.
Old 3/5/08, 04:20 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Definitely go for the 22 gallon. I would love to have a larger capacity of fuel in my II. 13 gallons just dont cut it :P

And Andy... I've been called a great many things in my life. Some nice. Some not so much. But when in tarnation did I become a gnome???

You're just jealous of my rugged good looks
Old 3/6/08, 06:59 AM
Bullitt Member

The 22 gallon version is like 4 inches wider and 3 inches deeper and with some slight modifications to my rails will fit in nice. And the other thing about this is I dont know if it will get 9mpg or 30 mpg. It is really pathetic though when we worry about mpg as a factor when building a car now days. I used to build roots style 8-71 blown engines for almost everything I did, boy are those days gone. When gas was $1 per gallon if it got 6 mpg who cared, now if it dont get at least upper 20's at $3 and $4 per gallon my cars see 100 miles at the most mostly less.

Last edited by Grell; 3/6/08 at 08:53 AM.
Old 3/6/08, 09:10 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
if you are going with a modular engine you prob could get some pretty good milage. the II is a light car as well so you could prob get around 18 city 28 hwy with the 5.4.
Old 3/6/08, 09:12 AM
Bullitt Member

I probably am going to go with a 6 speed too so that should help.
Old 3/6/08, 01:23 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
yeah, it should help out. I'm curious to see what kind of mileage you'll get. I'd definately go with the 22 gallon tank, less fill ups. What really blows is that I've run into several gas stations that won't let you get more than $50 at once. When gas is $3+, it's hard to fill any car up for $50.
Old 3/6/08, 02:41 PM
Bullitt Member

The 22 gallon tank should only add roughly 80 more pounds and on the rear with the engine as far ahead as it is in the car and it is remaining in stock location for simplicity reasons and comfort reasons, should help balance the weight too I think. I have 2 batteries to go on each side of the tank. I will porbably cut back to one 10 inch subwoofer and go with a good brand of amps and other speakers for better sound such as Moral or CDT or Focal.
Old 3/8/08, 07:58 AM
Bullitt Member

If anyone has put in a richmond transmission behind a 5.4 or 4.6 modular engine I am looking for some input. I am looking for using a hydraulic throw out bearing. I guess I am trying to figure out how to use a lakewood scattershield and mate it to the richmond 6 speed.
Old 3/11/08, 12:56 PM
Bullitt Member

I may be doing a different rear end from what I did select. I did find a corvette supplier that has the stock hub supports and brake and spindle parts and then I just make the control arms and adapt a sway bar. There is another option.

Option 2 is to use the ford IRS which would allow me alot more gear choices and a better handling I think being more like an indy car style rear but I may have brake problems due to me running a 15 inch wheel. I know I want disc brakes all the way around.

The thing I do know is Corvettes handle well, I know because I have a 89. But my center section is from a C3 which is a weaker center section but for street driving it wont matter probably. The other thing I am trying to use up what parts I have even though some may be considere dated. I will be doing some real thinking on this. Any input on this idea will be considered.

One thing that would be nice is it would be nice to keep this all ford for a neatness factor but If I dont I am not loosing any sleep over it.
Old 3/11/08, 01:00 PM
Bullitt Member

I should add, I have a 3.70 rear gear now and with a .76 final gear tranmission in 6th gear at a 24.5 inch tall tire that is like 2250 rpm at 55 mph. a 1:1 ratio 5 speed is 2750 rpm. I am hoping to shoot for 1850 rpm range for crusing for mpg since fuel reached going to be $4 per gallon which even at the current price per barrle could really be sold at $1.75 and they still would make a ton of money. GREED!
Old 3/11/08, 02:50 PM
Post *****

How hard would it be to beef up the C3 center section you have? I'm sure it can't be too hard, since plenty of corvette owners mod the hell out of their cars too.

I can't say much on which handles better though, because I don't know too much about the subject
Old 3/11/08, 04:14 PM
Bullitt Member

I think for street driving the C3 will hold up fine for me and I am am not real hard or agressive on my cars, I guess I tend to build with the high horsepower most just to know it iis there.

I added up my cost figures for the suspension I need yet and am at $3,824.17 less the parts I will be making such as the rear control arms. That is using the C3 center section which does look cool. That is also with slotted and drilled disc brakes and polished calipers. That isnt too bad. I think I will be looking at around $35,000.00 total for this car when done roughly.
Old 3/12/08, 09:28 AM
Post *****

I can't tell you how envious I am. I wish I could spend $30K+ on my car lol. In time I suppose...

Your suspension is going to costmore than $1500 more than my entire car
Old 3/12/08, 09:58 AM
Bullitt Member

I am sure I will go over budget, I always do.
Old 3/12/08, 10:07 AM
My C/T is cooler than Arin is.

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
wow, this looks like its gonna be a awesome car when it's done. I'll definitely be watching this one.

great work so far.
Old 3/12/08, 03:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Again, Thank You for the compliments. They are truly appreciated.
Old 3/14/08, 02:02 PM
Bullitt Member

I have a few other imporvements I made to the car that I will post in the next week or 2. I have a few tricks that I am not showing until the car is done but I think these mods will really blow some minds.
Old 3/17/08, 09:35 AM
Bullitt Member

I have decided to go with the 5.4 FR500 DOHC stage 3 cam engine. It will be a bit more work but will be alot cooler I think. I did miss size the engine, I got some measurments stating it is 28.5 inches wide from outside valvecover to outside valve cover. I understand the master cylinder location can work but I have to go with a manual brake set up and a shorter master cylinder but I may still opt for different pedals. For the Turbochargers I have picked turbonetics 66mm .96 a/r ceramic coated with 44mm tial wastegates unless I go to 46 mm wastegates due to I like the mounting better. I am really considering putting the turbochargers in the reat hatch area due to space issues under the hood and it is easier to place them except for I would loose valuable space for electronics and etc. and running the compressed air up to the intake through the passenger compartment is not real favorable to me and I dont think I have ample room under the car. I can open up the side vents and make them functional for getting air to the turbochargers if mounted at the rear and possible put an intercooler there instead of in front. I have thought about not having a passenger seat but that takes away from the street car and if you go somewhere and you have a guest wanting to go that causes an issue too.
I have not decided if I am caging this car or not, I am leaning towards not doing it but I think it would help the car alot if I did for added stregnth. I am sure I will never rae this car as I will have shaved door handles and from my understanding that is not allowed. ( I am not sure on this). I decide to go with the 22 gallon fuel cell. I am going to guess when the car is done I should have lightened this by about 800 lbs. SO this thing should be light. I wont know actual weight till it is done and it isnt a big issue to me except for street use if I can get better mpg. I guess it makes no sense to build a car if you cant take it out and enjoy it so mpg is a factor.

Some of the other features I am weighing out are I am debating about doing suicide doors. I have wanted to do suicide doors when I first had the car at 17. Like I said in the beginning this car is going to be part road race, part street rod and part tuner. I also am considering actuated parts.

I have been sketching out the front spoiler and rear roll pan ideas. I am not posting them as I am not really a good artist for drawing. If I hired an artist to do the concept drawing I would post that.

I also have been working on the tail lights which are going to be custom fabricated. I am not a big fan of the originals and since I have machining capabilities I can mill out something out of aluminum in my shop. I have projector style headlights for this already and will probably put the turn signal inside the headlight also as I really like that look and it cleans up the car a bunch.
Old 3/17/08, 12:50 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Id say go with the rollcage and the passenger seat, it would be better for cruising and strength. As far as the rear mounted turbos, there's a covette tuner that makes a dual turbo kit, and they have to be mounted in the rear, I dont think it should be a huge problem, because you probably wont run but about 10psi? Do the doors have an upper frame, or are the just the lower part? If the latter, I think suicide doors might be cool, but I'd probably do it regular.
Old 3/17/08, 03:39 PM
Bullitt Member

The main drawback to the cage is it takes up room that in the II's there isnt alot of to start with. I probably should put one in to show the work I do but at the same time I dont want this car to be a struggle to get in and out of. I have a C4 corvette that already is a clumsy to get in and out of lol. On the suicide doors the only that is stopping me is usually suicide doors dont operate as well as they do left stock but it is something I have thought would be really sweet on this one.

As for the passenger seat, I guess it is a wait and see. In the car club I belong too I have a guy who likes to ride with me alot on our cruises so he may have tot sit on the floor in this one. ( I said that cause he is going to join this forum and I have to pick on him).

Quick Reply: My 1976 Mustang II Project