Hall Of Fame Homepage Journal Type & Other Threads of Merit By Admin Invitation Only
View Poll Results: Do you prefer us lobbing Potatoes or Grenades to take care of spammers?
Lob potatoes to just stun them
18.18%
Lob grenades and remove them from the TMS pool permanently
81.82%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Mustangs Coast to Coast

Search this Thread

Old 1/8/10, 11:19 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
OK Nathan its 24 degrees here. It's supposed to get to 17 tonight.

This is like a warm winter night in Minnesota?

I don't see how you can stand it. My heater is going. I've got two fireplaces burning. And I still feel cold cause I went outside for 2 minutes to turn the space heater on in the shop so 7 can at least stay a little warm.
Old 1/8/10, 11:22 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by StangMahn
it's been a good day! I got my change check this morning, so I'll finally be able to pay off my loan. Then work was easy, and I just found out I'm getting a scholarship!
congrats dude.

Originally Posted by edumspeed
Not bad, just needs a Cummins!

Originally Posted by Blue Notch
that was brutal.
Originally Posted by mustangGT90210
Alright, over the past couple days I've made my finger tips raw, got wire nuts to work properly, found out that wiring is a pain in the ***, learned that my radio is on a different electrical circuit than stock, installed door speakers and proceeded to watch my mirrors shake , installed 6x9s and was unimpressed, found a nice EQ, and then modified my old speaker boxes by prying them apart, gutting them, cleaning off all the excess wood, going out and buying a new saw, mutilated the mounting "plate" for my own selfish needs, proceeded to inhale an assload of sawdust that still has me coughing a little, and now have almost professional-ish speakers in boxes! That is my story, and these are my pictures:

For starters, I had to undo the old wiring harness, which wasn't as straight forward as it should have been, mostly 'cause this is my first foray into anything real serious on the stereo

After I got that all sorted out, I moved on to installing my door speakers. This should have been easy, but of course the templates that came with the speakers were off, to say the least. I got smart on the second door and just marked out the holes straight the speakers. I don't need no stinkin' templates!

Then after that, I moved on to my temporary placement of the rear 6x9s. This was before I had boxes made up. It worked alright, but there was no low end coming out of these speakers at all because they were stuck in the open air. Personally, I like this picture. It strikes me as artsy

After all that was over, I found out the hard way I blew a fuse... This was followed by a lot of cursing, a short burst of absolute hate for my truck, then as I cooled off I realized what was wrong. Which led to a complete hate of using wirenuts behind the dash before I got everything figured out on making them stick, 'cause they're retarded and stuff... Now I present to you, my working Sony CDX-GT09HP 45x4ch CD/AUX/Radio, in all it's overexposed, but lit up pretty goodness (the backlight is blue, the numbers are white)

After this, I went on for a few days seeing how the stereo was, driftin' in the dirt, and overall learning I have a lot to learn about powerslide But that led me to my final inspiration to modify my old boxes from my previous set up, of a 3 speaker home theatre system. I used the 2 supporting speakers, and I'm gonna put the center channel in my room Here's the boxes I modified

After tearing in the box, prying the 2 parts of it apart, this is what I saw

I was extremely surprised when opening the box up to find a little speaker, no bigger than 5 inches across was what was giving me very noticeable, albeit very muddy and distorted, bass.

At this point I stopped taking pictures... I blame the sawdust inhalation What happened next was I used the 6x9 template to trace out the size of opening I needed for the speakers to fit, and then the where I needed to drill, simply for reference, as the holes weren't in the exact right places. This is when I learned I had to go out and buy a Coping Saw (hooray for building up my collection of tools). After I got it I set about cutting out the hole I needed. Also learned that my bed rails make for passable parts of vise grips, with my arm on top. After I (made my left shoulder really sore 'cause it was a weird angle to clamp down on something out) finished cutting on the holes, I had to go at it with a dremmel to sand off the last 1/4 inch I needed to make the speaker flush enough to sound good, but not to go through the sides of the top piece of wood. I've got maybe half an inch on each side of the hole to the end of the wood at every side. Then I drilled the 4 pilot holes for the screws on each "mounting plate" and then mounted my 6x9s with guards

After I got both speakers screwed in and ready to go, I set about sealing the top plate to the box itself. I ended up going with some non silicone based adhesive caulk. It should do the trick nicely... And before anyone asks, the guard is what hangs over the box, the speaker is nice and in it like it should be. This is a pretty decieving picture

Here's a picture of the finished boxes, with speakers mounted, on our freezer, 'cause the work bench is currently a big box shelf, like it's been since we moved in... 7 years ago

I can honestly say I now have more than just sweat, but now blood to add into the mixture. I just hope there's no tears! Final review comes in tommorow when I install the boxes in the truck and test em out. I mocked it up already before I sealed the boxes, and there should be a very noticeable difference in my low end

I want a 5.0 really bad though. I'll put something bigger in something else later on down the road.
No replacement for displacement.
Old 1/8/10, 11:23 PM
BoogieNights Studios:
Official Fluffer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
351W bored and stroked to 427!

Why so small??

I don't see how you can stand it. My heater is going. I've got two fireplaces burning. And I still feel cold cause I went outside for 2 minutes to turn the space heater on in the shop so 7 can at least stay a little warm.

That is sooo sweet. Did you tuck her into bed too??

Oh and I have to laugh a lil bit about the weather y'all are having. I listen to a radio station from Houston and they call that a deep freeze. I wonder what they would call the weather we had in NV a couple weeks ago when it was -10º +/- a few ºs ??
Old 1/8/10, 11:24 PM
BoogieNights Studios:
Official Fluffer

Oh question. Where can I find me a set of taillights from an ASC/McLaren?? I kinda like those and I believe they would look good on my Fox.
Old 1/8/10, 11:27 PM

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

It hasn't even been that warm here since the 30th. The average high for this time of year is 21. -8 right now.
Old 1/8/10, 11:27 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by BoogieNights
Oh question. Where can I find me a set of taillights from an ASC/McLaren?? I kinda like those and I believe they would look good on my Fox.
I found some McLaren stuff when I was looking for that trunk and rear spoiler. They have their own forum and there's a place there to buy parts. I was not able to find anything aftermarket though. So things were pricey.
Old 1/8/10, 11:28 PM
BoogieNights Studios:
Official Fluffer

I found some McLaren stuff when I was looking for that trunk and rear spoiler. They have their own forum and there's a place there to buy parts. I was not able to find anything aftermarket though. So things were pricey.

Do you have a link??
Old 1/8/10, 11:28 PM
Post *****

Bingo...

Scroll down

http://www.ascmclaren.com/extparts.htm
Old 1/8/10, 11:31 PM
BoogieNights Studios:
Official Fluffer

Sweet!!

Thanks a bunch. I put that in my favs so I wont forget it.

Those look really good just got to figure out to get them smoked a lil more.
Old 1/8/10, 11:44 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Nope. Positive first if we are talking about jump starting or a charger. When it comes to cars...positive first. Positive to positive, then negative to engine or ground. Then reverse order.
I've never heard of any of the auto gurus in my family having problem hooking up directly to the posts on both. But I'll start going to a ground.

This stang look familiar to anyone?

oh dear sweet sweet car god!

A little story I found about welding with your car battery like I almost did...
http://www.popularmechanics.com/auto...o/4213127.html

Edit: If my father taught me one thing, its that you should remove your wedding band before doing any kind of real work. Working with table saws and miter saws all my life it just seemed smart. Working on cars I've had other cases where it makes sense too. It's a good and quick way to lose a finger.
my cousin the mechanic actually still has his ring finger thanks to his ring...he had his hand on a fender, when the hood slammed shut. The only thing that saved his hand from being crushed was his wedding ring. Other than that, I make sure to always have my stuff off, rings, watch, belt

I want cobra side skirts now.
me too

Just looked and they're almost $500 at LMR + paint. Unless I find them used for cheap, it's going on the same list the mach hood and shaker are on.

I've got both. Just need to drop a 5.0 in the fox though.
I've got that same list too. I can't freakin believe how much a shaker setup runs!

next question to decide, while we're dreaming is: for a 2003 mustang, should I get a cobra, or a mach 1, and put on an Eaton supercharger?

I figured that I should get a 2003 mustang (start of HS), a 2007 (graduate HS), and a 2011 (graduate college)
Old 1/8/10, 11:49 PM

You should definitely get a mach David. Keep bugging Tom to sell you his.

Last edited by Blue Notch; 1/9/10 at 12:15 AM.
Old 1/9/10, 12:11 AM

Been looking for this video for a while. None of you win the cookie.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_GcwbkjxPA

Last edited by Blue Notch; 1/9/10 at 12:15 AM.
Old 1/9/10, 01:01 AM

Creepy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTF_t0XYyPA
Old 1/9/10, 06:03 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
ever have the feeling that you were being watched ?
Old 1/9/10, 07:26 AM
Legacy TMS Member Pr

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
I thought I heard once that it could be dangerous to take the positive one off without taking the negative off first.
for the reasons below...
True. And starter too I think.

I'm just thankul there's no capacitors in cars. I hate those things. You think the power is off and then boom. The **** things got a capacitor. Happened to me working on a TV once.

Not that I have ever been aware of.

This would only apply to jumping a car or hooking it up to a chargers or something.

But to simply disconnect the terminals of a car that is not running you can walk up and disconnect either one without any problems at all.
I know it sounds strange but the positive is the one to worry about. The negative can touch the car all its wants. You can lick it and the car at the same time. But let that positive hit the car while its connected to a battery and sparks will fly.

Irony is that back in the 50's and before the car was not grounded to the negative side of the battery. It was grounded to the positive side. The polarity was reversed.
That was more common in old european cars, IIRC.

Originally Posted by BoogieNights
No the reason why you do that is because with the computers in these cars nowadays jumping from battery to battery you run a big chance of frying the computer. My grandparetns had that happen and it wasnt a pretty bill to get it fixed.
And to add a little something to the list, jump starting hurts alternators, specifically the diodes. They can get fried due to the overload of current that will get out due to the additional load of the dead battery. Happened to me once on my old Pontiac. Thank God for lifetime warranties

I want cobra side skirts now.

I didn't like the new edge much when it first came out, basically bec. the v6s were the most abundant, but when I saw them on GT & Cobra trim, I've grown a liking to them. Too bad they lost the functional side scoops And the foxes that I mostly like are the four eyed ones and the SVO. But anyway, all foxes ride like giant leaf springs on wheels
Old 1/9/10, 07:28 AM
Legacy TMS Member Pr

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by 1999Pony

Not bad, just needs a Cummins!

Or a Viper V10
Old 1/9/10, 11:44 AM

https://themustangsource.com/showpos...1&postcount=83 FINALLY!
Old 1/9/10, 11:48 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
it should go to 0 after 10,000 lol
Old 1/9/10, 11:51 AM

What are you talking about?
Old 1/9/10, 12:05 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
You should definitely get a mach David. Keep bugging Tom to sell you his.
but he's got one of those sissy transmissions!

Quick Reply: Mustangs Coast to Coast