GT

Sound tube question

Old 5/20/17, 09:32 AM
GT Member

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Sound tube question

I have a 2017 5.0 GT and hear talk about removing the sound tube. What is the purpose of the sound tube and why is everyone removing it. I did a search with no results. thanks.
Old 5/20/17, 10:48 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
The sound tube adds a small amount of engine noise to the passenger cabin. Many delete it just for a cleaner looking enginebay.
Old 5/21/17, 07:58 AM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

Received 132 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally Posted by SpectreH
The sound tube adds a small amount of engine noise to the passenger cabin. Many delete it just for a cleaner looking enginebay.
Also, if you add a cold air intake it may increase the amount of sound transferred inside due to the additional air flow. I removed mine after installing the Steeda cold air intake as the increased noise became annoying.
Old 5/21/17, 12:14 PM
GT Member

Thanks for the info, guess I'll leave it in place for now.
Old 5/22/17, 01:54 PM
GT Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Mine came off a week after purchase. The droning and increased DBs in the cabin gave me headaches!
Old 5/24/17, 07:32 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
I kept mine in, I like engine noises. I have a Steeda CAI now and I still kept it the sound tube. I did not notice an increase in cabin noise with the CAI.
Old 5/25/17, 03:48 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
I kept mine in. I just want the engine bay to look factory. I dont think it sounds bad. I put on GT 500 AB and now I dont hear anything but them.
The following users liked this post:
area5179 (7/21/18)
Old 6/12/17, 03:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New today, how do you remove the tubes, and is it difficult to do, I'm not much of a mechanic. Looking to get a 2018 GT convertible and then put in the cold air set up, I like the sound that was in both my 2013 and 2014.
Old 6/13/17, 11:51 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by EF1
Also, if you add a cold air intake it may increase the amount of sound transferred inside due to the additional air flow. I removed mine after installing the Steeda cold air intake as the increased noise became annoying.
Don't forget to plug the hole after as you will have an oil smell when the engines fully warmed up.
Old 6/17/17, 07:21 AM
Legacy TMS Member Moderator

Received 531 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by Thomas Wyman
New today, how do you remove the tubes, and is it difficult to do, I'm not much of a mechanic. Looking to get a 2018 GT convertible and then put in the cold air set up, I like the sound that was in both my 2013 and 2014.
2018 could be different but for the 2015-2017 the firewall end can be difficult to remove if you like to do it by the book. There is a 10mm nut on a zillion thread stud that can be hard to get to although I've read that it may be easier to reach from below. It took me a long time with a flex head ratcheting box wrench to unscrew the nut. BUT if you don't care about possibly damaging that end of the tube you are going to throw away anyway, you can just grab it and yank. The stud is just thru some plastic so not that hard to rip off.

The next hardest part is installing a plug in the hole left in the firewall. Its just as hard to reach as the nut was. I had my wife do it. Was easy with her smaller hands and thinner arms. If true that its easier to remove the nut from below the car, probably the same for the plug.

The intake end of the tube couldn't be easier.

Regardless of how you remove the tube, you'll need something to plug the holes where it attached to the intake and firewall. There are kits made or you can do an internet search for Home Depot/Lowes items to get the job done.
Old 6/17/17, 07:53 AM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by tourer
Don't forget to plug the hole after as you will have an oil smell when the engines fully warmed up.
The rubber gasket from a ford master cylinder cap fits the hole perfectly. I don't remember the part number, but I found one at Advance Auto for less than $5. You can do a search through the forums to locate the part number.
Old 6/23/17, 02:01 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
+1 for leaving it alone
Old 6/23/17, 10:45 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I'm for removing it. At high rpm, I would hear weird noises and get scared something was wrong with my engine. There were noises I've never heard and I've driven, owned, and worked on a lot of cars. I found out after I removed the sound tube that it was piping in the noise that was freaking me out. All the sound I hear now is from my engine and exhausts.
Old 8/23/17, 07:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Hey all, I just "deleted" mine this past weekend. I bought a '16 GT that has a Livernois CAI. With the cat backs and the intake, the noise in the cabin was annoying, especially when the frequencies of both clashed. Instead of fully removing the tube, I disconnected the end that connects to the intake tube, installed a rubber cap that covered the intake side, then put the hose back on. I did the same on the other end of that same tube (the 2 foot long tube), so I have both ends capped, but the hose is still on. It killed the sound and still looks factory.

Old 9/6/17, 12:23 PM
GT Member

I installed an axle back exhaust and thought I would remove the sound tube after all. The experience was no different for me than the others who did this mod before me. It was a *****! Anyone who states it was a 20 minute start to finish job is not being 100% truthful. But its done and the part removed is in tact and can be reinstalled if needed. By the way I didn't notice a difference in cabin noise but the engine bay looks cleaner.
Old 9/6/17, 07:47 PM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

I removed mine a couple of years ago, but i don't remember it taking very long.
Old 9/15/17, 06:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
[QUOTE=HoosierDaddy;7016423]2018 could be different but for the 2015-2017 the firewall end can be difficult to remove if you like to do it by the book. There is a 10mm nut on a zillion thread stud that can be hard to get to..

I agree, but if you take your time you can remove the entire piece without destroying the tube. Buy small end caps at Lowes or Home depot for $.60 and plug the hole in the firewall and intake tube - Not a big deal and you are good to go. The tube is a worthless expense and doesn't do much. Just make sure the cap to the intake tube is tight A small (black) zip tie around the cap is good insurance.
Old 12/2/17, 06:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ustabawannab
+1 for leaving it alone
Definitely a matter of preference, I left mine in. It reminds me of the sounds "back in the day" when one would flip over the air cleaner cover to hear more of the V8 sound in the older cars.
Old 7/20/18, 11:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Forgive the resurrection of this Sound Tube thread. It looks as if it was thoroughly beaten a year or mor ago. but I just joined the ranks of Enlightened Eighteen owners, and have encountered a problem or two.

On a previous 5.0 Mustang I put a plug in the sound tube, screwed in a little brass screw, and called it done in about fifteen minutes. Today I dug out some plugs, and opened the hood of the Performance Package expecting to do the same job.

O, my. There is so much shielding enclosing everything, I can't even see the Sound Tube, let alone disconnect and plug it. Is there a secret technique for moving all those covers aside? They all seem to be strongly connected to the body or engine, no slack or wiggle room that I can find.

While I'm at it: the battery has disappeared under some kind of rubber thing that doesn't want to move, either. There are some fasteners that look as if they might allow movement if released, but my experience with such things is that they might come apart easily, but require skills or a few duplicates to button them up. More secrets?

I've been a fairly competent parts installer on my previous Mustangs, but this one has me stymied. I'll appreciate any guidance, teaching, and sympathy.
Old 7/21/18, 12:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Best advice go to CJ Pony Parts and check out their how to videos. Bill Tumas shows you what and how to remove almost everything. My sound tube on my 18 was a PITA to get to and the 10mm bolt on the firewall was stripped from the factory(Surprise, Surprise) In any event I got to the bolt from underneath the car and it came off using a deep socket and universal in 1/4 drive. The sound tube on my 2011 and my 2015 were a lot easier to remove for some reason.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sound tube question