GT

Engine stall while driving (on neutral gear only)

Search this Thread

Old 8/20/18, 02:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine stall while driving (on neutral gear only)

Hi Guys,
I have a problem with my 2016 Mustang gt pp with manual transmission. Engine stalls when shifting into neutral (manual trans) at higher engine speeds. For example, coming up to a red light (was traveling approx 40mph) or while exiting the freeway (was traveling 65mph and then was turning around an off-ramp). Has occured at any driving speed (if revving engine at full stop, or while traveling). Stalling does not occur if the transmission remains engaged while slowing down. If I shift to neutral when the engine is near it's normal idle speed (600 rpm after warm-up), it will not stall. The problem only occurs when shifting to neutral above ~2,000 rpm, and only after the engine is warmed up. I checked the fault codes and there was nothing- memory is clear.
Anyone had something similiar ?
Old 8/22/18, 11:05 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
Haven't heard of that happening. It's probably time to take her to the dealer. And, you need to take the Tech for a ride to show them what it's doing. If you don't they will come back, and say they could not replicate the problem. Trust me, that will happen.
Old 8/22/18, 12:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
I wonder if this is a similar issue to the fuel pump issue that my '06 had, and I believe you were having, Wanted.

Situation sounds different, but sounds like it could be related. Mine would almost stall out after coming to a stop off the interstate where I was cruising a constant speed. It would hesitate and jump once I gave it gas again. Mine was an automatic.
The following users liked this post:
wanted33 (8/23/18)
Old 8/22/18, 04:23 PM

That problem doesn`t exist if you downshift the gear, it apears when you put on neutral and start to release the gas pedal or brake...
Old 11/21/19, 10:53 AM

Just found this thread. I have the very same problem. It does not happen all the time, but every so often.
Mentioned it when the car was in the shop for an AC problem. All I got was a "honey, must have been your driving" look.
However, I found that it happens usually more when I am getting low on oil. -Not that this would make sense to me but just an observation.
Have you found out what the problem is on your car? It is kind of annoying.
Forgot to mention that it also happened twice when I was just sitting at a red light.

Last edited by Sokarst; 11/21/19 at 10:55 AM.
Old 9/8/21, 01:39 PM

Same issue

Have u found the problem and how to fix it?
Old 9/8/21, 03:54 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
Dirty throttle body is my first guess.
Old 3/3/23, 03:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have the same problem as well. Has been @ dealership over 120days now. Driving me nuts. Has ANYBODY found a resolution?
Old 3/3/23, 03:03 PM

Did you EVER find the cause?
Old 3/3/23, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Cysztof
Hi Guys,
I have a problem with my 2016 Mustang gt pp with manual transmission. Engine stalls when shifting into neutral (manual trans) at higher engine speeds. For example, coming up to a red light (was traveling approx 40mph) or while exiting the freeway (was traveling 65mph and then was turning around an off-ramp). Has occured at any driving speed (if revving engine at full stop, or while traveling). Stalling does not occur if the transmission remains engaged while slowing down. If I shift to neutral when the engine is near it's normal idle speed (600 rpm after warm-up), it will not stall. The problem only occurs when shifting to neutral above ~2,000 rpm, and only after the engine is warmed up. I checked the fault codes and there was nothing- memory is clear.
Anyone had something similiar ?
YES!!!
I have this sort of problem with my 2017 with manual!!
Did you ever get a resolution??
Old 3/3/23, 03:47 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,965 Likes on 1,590 Posts
You've posted the same question 3 consecutive times... Obviously, no resolutions have been reported on this thread since originally submitted over 4 years ago... Therefore, I would strongly suggest either submitting a new thread or considering searching the sub-forums by selecting the search function menu located above on the home page... Also, consider a dirty throttle body as previously suggested by the last post-thread submission!

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 3/3/23 at 10:01 PM.
Old 11/29/23, 02:37 PM

RESOLUTION

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
You've posted the same question 3 consecutive times... Obviously, no resolutions have been reported on this thread since originally submitted over 4 years ago... Therefore, I would strongly suggest either submitting a new thread or considering searching the sub-forums by selecting the search function menu located above on the home page... Also, consider a dirty throttle body as previously suggested by the last post-thread submission!
I will post the resolution. It is cam timing. A new set of phasers solved my problem (after dealers spent 10 MONTHS with it). ECM failure to control cam timing while returning to idle does not set a fault code, I assume since the problem does not last long enough time to fulfill requirement of ECM programming to set said code, BUT IS long enough to let engine stall. Data SHOULD be available via datalog to see cam position error plot, BUT it is hard to find a tech (even at a dealership) who is capable to interpret it. They simply look for a nonexistent code, the call Ford technical support, who are often equally clueless. I had a dealership tell me that the best that they and Ford could come up with was that I had a CLUTCH problem!!! They said that if I did not pay them 2400 dollars to do a clutch job with backordered (imagine THAT!) parts, they could be of no help. I wen to another dealership, and they did not believe the clutch crap for a second, to their credit. STILL took months, because phasers were backordered too!! Bear in mind, this is in a new replacement engine, with only 3 MONTHS on it!!!
UN-BEDANG_LIEVABLE.

TEN MONTHS!!!!!!

Runs fine now, with Ford, et. al. robbing me of almost 1/3 of the warranty period of the engine I had to get replaced on my dime, after #4 piston cracked IDLING at a stoplight on my way to work. Intake manifold IRMC plastic vane fell off, got ingested. OH, by the way, the new intake was backordered 9 MONTHS!! NO, I AM SADLY NOT MAKING ANY OF THIS UP!!!

The following 2 users liked this post by albeedoobee:
05stangkc (11/29/23), Bert (11/29/23)
Old 11/30/23, 02:21 PM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,542 Likes on 1,876 Posts
Appreciate the Follow Up!

If More People Would Come Back in After getting Solutions Less People Would Be Having Issues Finding Answers!

I Wish You Had Come in For Help on the Manifold! I Have Helped Other Members With Backordered Ford Parts!

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...n-help-550218/
https://themustangsource.com/forums/...repair-550048/

KC
The following users liked this post:
Bert (11/30/23)