V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

NEED HELP! THROTTLE STUCK

Search this Thread

Old 4/21/05, 09:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 05 V6 mustang 5 speed manual with about 1900 miles on it. A problem has arrisen and I was interested to hear any opinions, or if someone has had a similar problem. If I am driving down the road( speed or rpm doesn't matter ) and I decide to put the car into neutral to coast( say to a stop light ) once I release the clutch the rpm will drop to idle speed(700-800 rpm) and the slowly raise to between 1500-2000 rpm and stay there seemingly stuck. This engine speed will maintain even after I come to a stop( for about 10 seconds after I stop ). If however, I push in the clutch while the engine is stuck at these rpm, the engine speed will drop to idle with the clutch pressed in, but if the clutch is released, it will raise back up. I have taken it into the dealership twice to be looked at. A Ford representative told me that this was a "normal operating procedure" which burns off excess fuel to keep down emmisions. I dont know very much about mustangs, but I do know enough about cars to know that this is not normal, and this should not be happening for any reason. I am getting very frustrated with this problem and would like some input as to whether any other manual V6's are doing this as "normal operating procedure" or if I am being pushed aside because Ford doesn't want to deal with problems occuring. Any input would be greatly appreciated, im running out of ideas, and patience.
Old 4/21/05, 10:14 PM
Cobra R Member

Mine sure dont do that, sounds to me like they are just havin a problem with the fly by wire system and they have no idea how to fix it.
Old 4/22/05, 10:40 AM

You might want to take it in to your dealer, if you are worried that it is something other than the programming. If you believe it is a programming issue, you are not concerned about your warrantee, and would like a slight bump in performance, I would suggest getting a reflash of you ECU.
Old 4/22/05, 10:52 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have noticed that the RPM's are higher then normal at a stop light some times. Around 1200-1500 RPM, instead of around 900. Kind of a weird thing. At first I thought maybe it did it when the AC is on in order to get the engine from stalling. But, it seems to do it when the AC is off too!

Maybe it has to do with the Electronic Throttle on this car?
Old 4/22/05, 02:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Not to worry, this is part of the normal engine management, my car does the same thing, after sitting at a light for a few moments, the car will drop down the idle.

Its part of the smog control system, the higher the idle speed the more efficent the burn ratio is, the lower the rpm the higher the "bad air" ratio is.

So EPA and Ford have decided to delay the rpm drop time after you let off the gas when there is no positive drive train motion ie, clutch in or car not in gear.

You can dial that out with the SCT tune as well, tip in or tip out whatever its called part of the sissy engine mangement program, also controls the time delay in reducing the rpm's. Think of it this way if you were just riding the clutch in to negotiate a corner and then wanted to go WOT in third, then the rpm's would be close to the sweet spot to accelerate into third.

Anyways bottom line the delay is normal and is associated with the smog control programing
Old 4/22/05, 04:48 PM
Cobra R Member

Normal? how come my car dont do it?
Old 4/22/05, 09:42 PM

Thanks for all your input, it makes me feel better knowing my car is supposed to do that. Its still annoying but if i can get rid of it with a tune, I was going to do that anyways, that would be just another plus. Thanks for all your input.
Old 4/22/05, 11:04 PM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,578 Likes on 1,907 Posts
Try Disconnecting the Battery for 15 minutes to reset the computer it can not hurt to try!

kc