Ecoboost

2015 Mustang 2.3 Ecoboost First Ride

Search this Thread

Old 5/19/14, 10:36 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Cool

I don't get too excited about rides in prototypes. I am willing to wait until the time comes when the street ready Mustang is a finished product. Then I will be greatly interested to see how the 2015 Ecoboost Mustang performs in the hands of automotive journalists. Maybe by then the horsepower of the Ecoboosts will be increased.
Old 5/20/14, 02:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Automobile has a First Ride too. Excerpt:

At the same time, we were most aware that this new chassis also felt remarkably supple for a car with a performance-oriented suspension setup. It turns out that the engineers have dialed in twice as much anti-dive, anti-lift, and anti-squat into the suspension geometry as before to make the Mustang chassis more stable under acceleration and braking. As a result, there’s no need to use especially stiff spring rates to prop up the chassis, and the result seems to be a very composed, modern sort of handling dynamic from the car. The old, familiar Mustang hop and shudder didn’t seem to be in evidence.
Pretty much sums up the main advantages of an IRS, i.e., having your cake and eating it too, i.e., having both great handling AND a great ride, both, together, at the same time, in the same car. This should be a real corner-carver even if the road isn't billiards-table smooth.

Glad they were able to dial in a lot more anti dive/lift/squat as the Stang always seemed to hound-dog its nose right down to the tarmac on anything more than 27% braking and reared its nose like a horse that just spied a Timber Rattler when accelerating while squatting like an old Labrador that ate some bad road kill a few hours earlier.

Of course, some real world driving will be necessary before passing any final judgments, but the initial reviews sound very promising.

Last edited by rhumb; 5/20/14 at 02:49 PM.
Old 5/20/14, 03:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is always some big praise at the beginning of the model years. Gotta wait for real comparisons to see what's what from a magazine. Comparing to the Camaro next year for example. Now if they can improve the Mustang as much as Chevy improved the Vette. I'll be impressed. New Camaro COULD be really good if it doesn't get all GM'y. Just made up that word, but it seems to fit. I'm just waiting to hear it hasn't lost any weight or gained any power for the GT. I like it, but I get nervous of a '10-'11 issue. I don't expect another 100 hp increase for the same price, but I could see another 30-40 pretty soon. 4 years on the 5.0 now.