Ecoboost

Turbocharged Pony Car to be Called "Mustang Ecoboost"

Search this Thread

Old 5/14/14, 01:35 PM
TMS Staff

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Turbocharged Pony Car to be Called "Mustang Ecoboost"

Ford seems to have settled on the name for the new 2015 Mustang featuring the 2.3-liter Ecoboost engine, and, well, it’s not exactly what I expected.

An order guide posted on another forum indicates that the turbocharged pony car will go by no other than (drumroll please) the “Mustang Ecoboost.”

Yup, my point exactly. It doesn't quite stir up the kind of emotions you’d expect for such a groundbreaking Mustang model. However, maybe there will be some cool code names popping up after it launches that will give the model a little more street cred.

More on the blog.

Last edited by Detroit Steel; 5/14/14 at 01:37 PM.
Old 5/14/14, 02:41 PM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 949 Likes on 577 Posts
I agree with ya. Not real exciting.
I'm sure it is geared towards a totally different audience than the V8 crowd. Maybe it will appeal to whatever that demographic is.
Old 5/16/14, 05:23 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
one word... GARBAGE... so glad I got into a 2014 before this debacle happens to our loved muscle cars... Ford, WTF are you thinking???
Old 5/21/14, 01:17 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
Apparently they have a ton of extra emblems in the F-150 parts bins. Pretty sad thay couldn't use another moniker for the Mustang. Ecoboost, paleez......................
Old 5/21/14, 01:23 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
EcoBust.
Old 5/21/14, 01:27 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tom281
EcoBust.
Well at least they put the boost on the *** end of the horse.
Old 5/21/14, 02:09 PM
FR500 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ecobang! As in shoot this name dead. Doesnt roll off the tounge at all
Old 5/21/14, 03:18 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by rynaldo
one word... GARBAGE... so glad I got into a 2014 before this debacle happens to our loved muscle cars... Ford, WTF are you thinking???
"Garbage" riiiight.

If Ford thought like you guys do, the Mustang name would have been dead a long time ago. The times, they are a changing! Ford knows where performance is headed, and it's not monstrous V8's with huge cams. It's turbocharged 4s and 6s. The Mustang has never been a "Muscle car" - it quite literally defined the "Pony car" term. It's a small medium weight car with a great combo of power and handling. That's what they're doing now, with a modern touch. Plus, it's not like they're not offering a V8 option. Offering the 4 cylinder will get a lot of new people to buy the product, which makes Ford money, and gives us even better products in the future. Get over yourself.

Is it a boring name? Yes. But it's a name that goes along with the rest of the Ford lineup quite well. Branding, it's an industry term, look it up.
Old 5/21/14, 04:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Yeah well with all due respect, Kardashian is a brand name too lol.

Like the 4 cyl option, don't like the branding.

Last edited by tom281; 5/21/14 at 06:17 PM.
Old 5/22/14, 08:55 AM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
That may be true, but "EcoBoost" has done quite well for Ford. It'd be more confusing for customers if you called it something else, then told them it was the same system.
Old 5/22/14, 03:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by StangMahn
"Garbage" riiiight. If Ford thought like you guys do, the Mustang name would have been dead a long time ago. The times, they are a changing! Ford knows where performance is headed, and it's not monstrous V8's with huge cams. It's turbocharged 4s and 6s. The Mustang has never been a "Muscle car" - it quite literally defined the "Pony car" term. It's a small medium weight car with a great combo of power and handling. That's what they're doing now, with a modern touch. Plus, it's not like they're not offering a V8 option. Offering the 4 cylinder will get a lot of new people to buy the product, which makes Ford money, and gives us even better products in the future. Get over yourself. Is it a boring name? Yes. But it's a name that goes along with the rest of the Ford lineup quite well. Branding, it's an industry term, look it up.
^This
Old 5/22/14, 04:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
At least Dodge knows how to name their packages in a good manner, word "ecoboost" should not be in the name of the mustang, hopefully it dosnt have the greenleaf-ecoboost badge, that will be horrible.
Old 5/22/14, 04:14 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
The number of folks in the market for expensive, thirsty V8s is dwindling quickly. Yes having 400+ horsepower is nice, but on the street it becomes impractical for most folks. The 300+ horsepower offerings from the Ecoboost and V6 are more then enough power for most folks, and offers significantly better mileage then V8 options.

Most hate towards the 4 cylinder (and in some cases the six...) seems to come from the old school crowd who is stuck in the mindset that 8 cylinders is best, and everything else is crap. While that's a fine opinion to have, the market has shown a different mindset from buyers.

Plus, it's not like the 8 cylinder is going anywhere. It's still there, plenty attainable. I don't get why people are so butt hurt about the 4 cylinder when it makes great power, and great mileage.

Oh well...haters gonna hate.
Old 5/22/14, 04:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Expensive, thirsty V8s dwindling...... Lol.
Old 5/22/14, 04:34 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Joeywhat
The number of folks in the market for expensive, thirsty V8s is dwindling quickly. Yes having 400+ horsepower is nice, but on the street it becomes impractical for most folks. The 300+ horsepower offerings from the Ecoboost and V6 are more then enough power for most folks, and offers significantly better mileage then V8 options.

Most hate towards the 4 cylinder (and in some cases the six...) seems to come from the old school crowd who is stuck in the mindset that 8 cylinders is best, and everything else is crap. While that's a fine opinion to have, the market has shown a different mindset from buyers.

Plus, it's not like the 8 cylinder is going anywhere. It's still there, plenty attainable. I don't get why people are so butt hurt about the 4 cylinder when it makes great power, and great mileage.

Oh well...haters gonna hate.
Except the points made in this thread are not hate against the 4, but rather the label of the "DOHC 4V TiVCT Turbocharged I4 tuned up handling cool as hell American Pony Car sportster ready to take on 21st century America and the World!"

I understand them wanting to have consistent branding for all their turbo engines. That's what corporate thinking does nowadays when all the marketing execs took the same college courses.

I mean have you seen the Spring issue of My Ford?? It's either trapezoid guppy mouth (now incl Mustang.15), or Tri-Bar (p28-31). It's pathetic. Jimmy square box - stay in the box Jimmy!

However, what Mulally and the marketing drones are missing, is the Mustang is supposed to be special. And is supposed to attract a certain crowd domestic & internationally.

So I have to agree that for a Mustang Turbo, a more energetic sports car/pony car label would be dramatically better, regardless of the branding for the rest of the family car/utility vehicle line.

Last edited by cdynaco; 5/22/14 at 04:59 PM.
Old 5/22/14, 04:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

SVO?
Old 5/22/14, 04:56 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
SVO?
I think that will be the 3.5 EcoBoost at some point.
Old 5/22/14, 05:07 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Why does anybody give a crap on what Ford calls the 4 banger? Why does any one really give a fuzzy rats a$$ about its name? ***** people.
Old 5/22/14, 05:14 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Evil_Capri
I think that will be the 3.5 EcoBoost at some point.
Interesting.....

Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue
Why does anybody give a crap on what Ford calls the 4 banger? Why does any one really give a fuzzy rats a$$ about its name? ***** people.
Why would you not care or at least be interested?
Old 5/22/14, 05:19 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Interesting.....

Why would you not care or at least be interested?
I personally would only be interested in the pricing and specs of the car not what Ford is calling it. I personally would be interested in its reliability, power and performance numbers. Ford can call the 4 banger turbo what ever they want.

Quick Reply: Turbocharged Pony Car to be Called "Mustang Ecoboost"