Tire and Wheel Tech All the tire and wheel technical information you can think of in one place!

Dunlap winter maxx

Search this Thread

Old 11/5/14, 11:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 144 Likes on 109 Posts
Dunlap winter maxx

I Wanted to see if any of you have used this tire before. I was pricing out a set of bizzaks at my local dealer 1200 for the package. So I asked him of some thing comparable but less expensive and he recommended the winter maxx.

Before I pull the trigger thought I'd check in. They have good reviews on tire rack. Thanks.
Old 11/11/14, 07:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

I went ahead and purchased the Dunlops, and got them installed today. $795 for the package over 400 less than the Blizzaks. Hopefully I dont regret the purchase. They seem good in the wet rainy weather we had this afternoon. Temps dropped from 62 to 36, blah.

I drove on the all season Pirellis last year so they have to be miles ahead of them. I have less than 20 miles on them so far. I'll review them more once I get some miles on them in different conditions.

Last edited by Rog13GTCS; 11/13/14 at 10:38 AM.
Old 11/11/14, 07:32 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
DunlOps*...
Old 11/13/14, 10:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
DunlOps*...
How embarrassing.
Old 1/7/15, 06:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Mini Review:

I've had these tires since Nov 12 and bought them based on recommendations from my local tire dealer. I had been looking at the Bridgestone Blizzaks since they are so highly rated(Gold Standard for Winter tires), and it seems all other winter tires are compared to them; however, the Blizzaks were 1250ish installed, so I wanted to see if there was a good alternative at a lesser price.

Before I purchased the Winter Maxx, I read the reviews on Tirerack and they were getting decent reviews, and another forum ranked them well too. So I felt better after reading these, and I decided to pulled the trigger. They were 795 out the door price, tires, mounting, balance, tpms rebuild and taxes.

For the last 2 months the weather was cold 20's-30's with some rain and they performed ok in dry conditions and better in wet weather conditions.

I didnt drive my car yesterday as we received a small amount of snow 3-6 inches depending on your location, and I didnt want to take a chance on some knuckle head hitting me.

That said, Today was the first real test I was able to put them through. The neighborhood was plowed but still has a snow pack on the road, and the Winter Maxx performed very well on these roads. Of course I was only going 20-25 mph. I was able to start and stop with ease, and I did not have any issues cornering and at the low speed I did not feel any slipping or sliding.

On the secondary roads the conditions were similar they were plowed but there was still snow and some icy spots. I was driving at 40, the speed limit, on these roads the car and tires handled admirably. I was very impressed. I did not have a feeling that I would not be able to easily take off or stop, or lose control.

For the most part, I was driving how you should with weather and road conditions as they are. When there was no traffic I did 'test' hard stopping and starting, from 25-30 mph. I could feel the ABS kick in but the car stopped straight, and on hard take offs I could feel the traction control system and the rear kick out slightly but quickly corrected itself before pushing me forward.

The Primary roads, of course, were completely clear, with salt/sand down. so no issues there.

There is a small amount of road noise, but not bad. I would agree with the reviews on Tirerack. They are a really good winter tire especially for the price. I am very happy with my purchase so far.