Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Long Tube Headers

Old 8/23/15, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Long Tube Headers

I need advice on whether to install long tube headers on my GT. I have already put on a Roush axle-back exhaust. I want the car to be louder and have a deeper tone. Also want to put on a new H-pipe. I am looking at the Kooks LT headers and H-pipe with high flow cats. Anybody have an opinion about this? I also lowered the car about 1.5" and wonder if there will be a ground clearance issue with the LT headers. I know that this may not dramatically improve HP/torque now but I am planning on a supercharger this winter. Any thoughts on what size header to run? 1 5/8, 1 3/4, or 1 7/8?
Old 8/23/15, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by drmag
I need advice on whether to install long tube headers on my GT. I have already put on a Roush axle-back exhaust. I want the car to be louder and have a deeper tone. Also want to put on a new H-pipe. I am looking at the Kooks LT headers and H-pipe with high flow cats. Anybody have an opinion about this? I also lowered the car about 1.5" and wonder if there will be a ground clearance issue with the LT headers. I know that this may not dramatically improve HP/torque now but I am planning on a supercharger this winter. Any thoughts on what size header to run? 1 5/8, 1 3/4, or 1 7/8?
You shouldn't have any issue with clearance. If you are definitely planning a supercharger in the winter, go with 1 7/8. If you aren't sure, or might keep it more tame, then you'll want smaller to keep enough back pressure to not loose low end torque.
Old 8/24/15, 06:23 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Supposedly they help quite a bit with a supercharger though I'd check the numbers on that before you order. Headers seem to have a particularly poor bang: (buck+effort) ratio on these cars.

I'd suggest staying with an H-Pipe if sound tone/quality is a primary concern. It's personal taste but IMO, X-pipes can sometimes skew the V8 racket to sound more V6ish.
Old 8/26/15, 09:57 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I ordered the Kooks 1 7/8" LT Headers, H-pipe, and high flow cats. Need to order a tuner from VMP next. Can't wait to get this installed and see how it sounds and runs. Thanks again for the help.
Old 9/1/15, 03:47 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by MRGTX
Supposedly they help quite a bit with a supercharger though I'd check the numbers on that before you order. Headers seem to have a particularly poor bang: (buck+effort) ratio on these cars.

I'd suggest staying with an H-Pipe if sound tone/quality is a primary concern. It's personal taste but IMO, X-pipes can sometimes skew the V8 racket to sound more V6ish.
Mike, I hope this doesn't sound V6-ish (I have an x pipe mated to corsas)