Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

Suspension Kits?

Search this Thread

Old 3/20/12, 04:37 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suspension Kits?

Hey everybody!

I've completed most of my planned mods for my 2011 GT. Now, I'm thinking about what should be next and suspension is right up there...

However, I'm pretty new to Mustang suspension and need some help!
At first I was thinking about just lowering my Mustang with new springs and strut mounts, but after this winter... Well, I think I'll need something that can be adjusted... I also wonder if I should consider sway bars, panhard bars, etc.? I've seen some Ford Racing kits and of course Steeda, but I'm not so sure what I would need. Steeda has some nice package deals, but only for the BOSS 302...

I would like the following:

More aggressive, lower stance in summer with the ability to raise up for winter.

Better handling and cornering without sacrificing ride quality...

I'd like to get everything I need in one shot... Especially since I live in Japan and shipping things can get a little expensive.

Any recommendations would be appreciated!!!
Thanks!
Old 3/20/12, 05:43 AM
Bullitt Member

In for this would love to know some of these things

I think the only adjustable height can come from a coil over kit(not sure on that though)
Old 3/20/12, 06:05 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you want adjustable height you'll need to look at coil-over kits with that feature. I'd look at KW as they make really good stuff for the price.

The KW V3 is real nice but it will run you about $2k. But it does include adjustable height as well as fully adjustable dampening for rebound and compression individually.

If you just want the height adjustability and are OK with preset dampers, the V1 are quite a bit less, around $1300. I believe they also make the ST Speedtech line which is (I think) nearly identical to the V1 for around $100 less or so.

One thing to consider with raising/lowering your car twice a year is the alignment. If you lower the car 2" on coil-overs, you're going to have to get an alignment. Then when you raise the car back up for winter, you're going to have to get one again!

But, here's the kicker... most of these coil-overs, at maximum height, lower the car over 1" from stock!

Another option would be to compromise a bit and choose a moderate drop. Something like what the Steeda Sport springs offer. You're a little over an inch lower than stock but you retain enough clearance for rough roads and snow driving. Couple them with some good adjustable dampers like the Koni Yellows and you've got a nice setup that you can dial in to your liking, for less than the coil-over setup. The only compromise of course would be the non-adjustable ride height.

Here's my car, stock vs. Steeda Sport springs:

Last edited by m4a1mustang; 3/20/12 at 06:07 AM.
Old 3/20/12, 06:24 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks Steve!
That's good info!
Actually, my friends at Purespeed had reccomended a similar setup, but I was worried that I'd be hitting my front on the curb to my parking lot even with a moderate drop. To tell the truth, I was thinking about going any lower than 1 inch or so... I suppose it's still may be the best option since it sounds like coil overs won't be any higher...

What about panhard or sway bars with that sort of setup? Big improvements in handling?
Thanks again!!!

By the way!!! Love the GoPro on the window!!!
I had mine on the exact same place yesterday! First time I ever used it!

Last edited by whokilledkaji; 3/20/12 at 06:26 AM.
Old 3/20/12, 06:35 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by whokilledkaji
Thanks Steve!
That's good info!
Actually, my friends at Purespeed had reccomended a similar setup, but I was worried that I'd be hitting my front on the curb to my parking lot even with a moderate drop. To tell the truth, I was thinking about going any lower than 1 inch or so... I suppose it's still may be the best option since it sounds like coil overs won't be any higher...

What about panhard or sway bars with that sort of setup? Big improvements in handling?
Thanks again!!!
It really depends. I think the sway bars on your car are smaller than those on the Brembo package cars, so it might be worth it to upgrade to a bigger bar front and rear.

The single best thing you can do is to replace the factory struts and shocks. The 5.0 is very under-damped in stock form. A good set of struts/shocks like the Konis will give the car the body control it needs and really makes a huge difference in handling.

The panhard bar should help a bit. You'd probably need an adjustable one to re-center the axle after a drop. The added rigidity would get rid of any flex or slop in the OEM bar.

I'm not sure what cars you came from or how much you are willing to spend, but if you ever feel like you wish the Mustang had IRS you might want to consider a Watts Link. I have the Fays2 and it really makes a huge difference in how the car behaves. No more lateral axle motion over bumps and you've got the same roll center when turning left AND right... and it remains the same as the suspension travels.

When I lived in Japan I was not old enough to drive so I don't really remember how the roads were.
Old 3/20/12, 06:44 AM
Cobra Member

If you have time I'd give Sam Strano a call and see what he would recommend. I'm not sure if he ships internationally but if he does he has everything you need.

I'd be inclined to start with shocks/struts/springs/panhard and then evaluate the car after that and see what else you might want to add. But since you are trying to consolidate the shipping expenses I'd probably go ahead and throw in adjustable front/rear sway bars and maybe a set of lower control arms.

Then just make sure you're running a real good set of summer tires in the warm months to get the most out of your new setup.

BTW, I'm basically selling you my setup I love it.

Last edited by m4a1mustang; 3/20/12 at 06:47 AM.
Old 3/20/12, 07:02 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks again Steve!!!

Roads here are actually super nice!
Maybe it's silly, but the roads (and scenery) are one of the main reasons I have stayed so long! I was home in the States for Christmas and was shocked how bad they were getting...
Old 3/20/12, 07:15 AM
Cobra Member

I love smooth roads because I can run a fairly stiff shock setup and remain comfortable. I bet your car gets a ton of attention over there!

I'm hoping to go back on vacay in a couple years.
Old 3/20/12, 08:40 AM
Bullitt Member

Oh yeah!!!
A lot of people don't really know what it is though. Mustangs are pretty rare...
PM me if you come to Kyoto!!!