Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

Need serious help bad clunk after spring install. (with video)

Search this Thread

Old 2/16/13, 09:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need serious help bad clunk after spring install. (with video)

So I just installed some H&R Supersport springs on my '12 V6 and everything went good but it was getting too cold and dark out so I held out on doing the front left spring until tomorrow. I used all of the factory struts and strut mounts.

The back springs were a breeze I unbolted the rear sway bar and moved it out of the way and threw the springs right in there it mounted up easily.

I took the front right off and when the strut mount came off it separated from the top part and little ball bearings went everywhere! So I tried to get it back the way it was and I mounted it in there.

I drove the car around the block to check for noises and nothing out of the ordinary so I figured I was good to go.

Well I went to drive home and had this horrible clunk that changes with speed, it sounds as though its coming from the rear end somewhere it almost sounds like a really bad bald spot in my tire but that's not it.
Could this be due to my rear end not being in line and making a bad pinion angle? I did not install a panhard.

Something is seriously out of place here and I am scared to death to drive my car past 30 mph because it sounds so bad. I would take it to a shop tomorrow but none around here are open on Sunday.

HELP!

Here is the video the noise kinda sounds like a GT exhaust at idle but its a steady clunk coming from somewhere.

Old 2/17/13, 04:11 PM
V6 Member

Replace the front upper strut mounts with the ones from the GT500. They'll run u about $100
Old 2/23/13, 01:56 AM
GT Member

Any updates? This sounds like pinion angle and a wobble in the driveshaft... How much of a drop were you supposed to get from your springs?
Old 2/23/13, 01:34 PM

When you drop your car you have to get an adjustable pan hard rod to realign the back wheels