Notices
Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

Need help on suspension build

Search this Thread

Old 11/18/14, 07:42 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help on suspension build

I bought my 2012 Mustang new, and now I want to upgrade the suspension after it being stock for 3 years.

I've already bought the lowering springs I want, which are the Steeda Sport Springs. They will give the car a 1" drop in the front and 1.25" in the rear, which I think is perfect.

My wife told me to give her my list of parts so she can buy some for Christmas I want to make sure i know exactly what to get.

Here is what I have planned so far:

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 466
Size:  38.8 KB

The few things I am not sure if I need:

-Control Arm Relocation Brackets?
-Upper Control Arm, and should it be adjustable?
-Sway Bar End Links, should they be adjustable?
-Should I go with adjustable strut/shocks? If so, which ones?

I want to make sure that the suspension geometry is correct and don't mind spending the extra money to make sure it is done right.

I’m a newbie to suspension, and have never touched it on my other two (V6) Mustangs. It's mostly a weekend car since my wife and I work at the same office. and we normally just drive her Escape. I've thought about taking it out for track days, but my suspension is the limiting factor. We also like to take it to the mountains, and would be nice to firm up the slop in the stock suspension.
Old 11/18/14, 08:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You're not going to need much correction with that small of a drop. I would suggest the BMR relocation brackets as they offer more choice in the geometry correction.
Old 11/19/14, 07:23 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Depending on how hard you have driven in the mountains I would consider doing at least 1 track day with the stock suspension, from there you will be able to learn what you need to change on the car to match your driving level and style. Some like it loose, some extremely stiff, and everything in between.

I would suggest getting adjustable LCA's and if you can swing it get a UCA that is adjustable also. The UCA makes a huge difference on the car as far as planting the rear. I suggest adjustable because you can dial everything in that way rather than assuming that from the factory the car's geometry is perfect. Depending on how much you may end up tracking it you may want to get CC plates instead of the Steeda HD mounts, Maximum Motorsports one's are highly recommended and they may go back on sale during their November sales month. On shocks/struts I would look into Koni's over the Steeda units, for one they are adjustable so you can stiffen or soften them depending on what you are doing, if you wait for the summer they go for around 600 a set for the Sports.
Old 11/19/14, 09:21 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Brandon302
Depending on how hard you have driven in the mountains I would consider doing at least 1 track day with the stock suspension, from there you will be able to learn what you need to change on the car to match your driving level and style. Some like it loose, some extremely stiff, and everything in between.

I would suggest getting adjustable LCA's and if you can swing it get a UCA that is adjustable also. The UCA makes a huge difference on the car as far as planting the rear. I suggest adjustable because you can dial everything in that way rather than assuming that from the factory the car's geometry is perfect. Depending on how much you may end up tracking it you may want to get CC plates instead of the Steeda HD mounts, Maximum Motorsports one's are highly recommended and they may go back on sale during their November sales month. On shocks/struts I would look into Koni's over the Steeda units, for one they are adjustable so you can stiffen or soften them depending on what you are doing, if you wait for the summer they go for around 600 a set for the Sports.

I looked on the Steeda website, and it seems to me that the HD Mounts are C/C plates. They ofter -/+ 1 degree of camber adjustment, while the Maximum Motorsports offer -/+ 1.6 degree of adjustment. I wasnt sure how much adjustment was needed, or if the Steeda was better than what the stock adjustment is.
Old 11/19/14, 11:34 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 2012White5.0
I looked on the Steeda website, and it seems to me that the HD Mounts are C/C plates. They ofter -/+ 1 degree of camber adjustment, while the Maximum Motorsports offer -/+ 1.6 degree of adjustment. I wasnt sure how much adjustment was needed, or if the Steeda was better than what the stock adjustment is.
I guess it depends on whether or not you will be dropping more in the long run or may want to run more aggressive camber/caster if you catch the track bug.
Old 11/21/14, 04:32 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got the Steeda sport springs with Koni yellows and J&M cc plates. Awsome set up. I can tune the Koni's for canyon carving or soften up the ride in minutes when the wife comes with haha!
Old 11/21/14, 07:34 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
I got the Steeda sport springs with Koni yellows and J&M cc plates. Awsome set up. I can tune the Koni's for canyon carving or soften up the ride in minutes when the wife comes with haha!
Great set-up & thank you for running the Steeda Sport Springs.

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 11/23/14, 04:08 PM
V6 Member

My set-up on my 13' GT is Steeda Sport springs, Koni Sport Damper/shocks, Ground Control CC plates, FRPP bump stop kit, BMR adj. panhard bar, LCAs and relo bracket. Stock sway bars have worked fine with this combo for my street driven car. Ride is firmer, but not harsh. Car handles amazing and is comfortable on long trips.