Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

Can 305 tires tuck in the rear with airlift suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 5/8/21, 08:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can 305 tires tuck in the rear with airlift suspension?

I have a 2014 Mustang GT and I’m planning on purchasing the Airlift 3h suspension kit. I’m running 19.5 in RTR tech 7’s with Nitto tires. I have a staggered set up with 265’s in the front and 305’s in the rear. Does anyone have experience with airlift and know if I’ll have any issues with figment or tucking the rear tires?
Old 5/10/21, 08:01 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 684 Likes on 347 Posts
Tucking in has a lot to do with the off-set & back spacing of the wheel..
Old 5/10/21, 09:07 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,578 Likes on 1,082 Posts
does the air lift system fit in the same space as the original springs and shocks? if yes then there should be no issue; the same wheels and tires should fit, assuming they were sized correctly to fit in the first place

if the air lift system needs more room, they they probably won't fit, because they are very tight on the original shocks

I guess the OP is looking for someone to answer this question (does air ride need more room) . . . sorry I don't know!
Old 5/10/21, 10:18 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
Regarding the air springs... The air spings will work in place of the regular springs. You'll have to get the air spring-ed replacement shocks to work up front, but the rear air springs are direct replacements of the steel springs alone. Both are designed to work in your car as direct replacement of stock parts with no interference... in stock-ish setups.

Regarding the wheels/tires: Those are pretty big. Mustangs came stock with 255 fronts and 285 in the rear on Shelbys, for example, and people have been putting 275s in the front no problems, and 305 rears have been known to happen too. As said above, offset and width of the rim are the two biggest issues, but along with those is the sidewall bulge that happens.

The rear axle travel is up and down, mostly, but has a side to side component due to the 3 link/panhard bar setup. When the car compresses the springs, the axle moves outward to the driver side. When the car relaxes the springs, to the passenger side. The possible result is that on compression the sidewall may dig into the fender on the driver side, and overall both tires may dig in somewhere if the car gets too low on the springs. And if the offset isn't right, then either side could dig somewhere. Measure measure *measure again*, and even then, a test fit is probably warranted... which is problematic, as you'd imagine, if you don't have the wheels and tires ready to stick on the car and then lower the car/raise the axle to see what happens.

As far as the fronts, same sort of deal with the offset, but more on the turning of the wheel causing an issue. Offset can be a problem, as can width of rim/tire. Contact points are the fender lip and inner rail, with a nod to the fender shields too. However, I run 275s, lowered 1 inch, on the GT500 rims (proper offset, OEM for Mustangs) and nary a concern. Dropping another .5" may cause an issue. Moving up to 285 would probably be an issue. Oh, and I'm also running the 17" wheel steering rack without the extra spacers for 18", and I still can go lock to lock in any situation, so far. I'd wager the 265 won't cause much issue, unless you *really* lower it and the wheels are turned.

I'm sure I got something not quite right, but there's what I know about overall tire/wheel/suspension/car fitments. I hope it helps!

Last edited by houtex; 5/10/21 at 10:20 AM.