Notices
Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

Camber Adjustment Options

Search this Thread

Old 5/3/16, 10:54 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Camber Adjustment Options

After wearing out some tires at the track I'm told I need some negative camber. I was doing some research and thought I might just be able to get away with some $30 camber bolts. BMR told me they wouldn't recommend that because the bolts are not as good as the stock bolts they replace and may not hold up to track conditions.

Then I figured I'd have to get some caster/camber plates. However, I then ran across Ford Performance M-3B236-A caster/camber bolts. Has anyone used these? Does anyone know if they will hold up for track use? I did a chat with a rep on Ford Performance site and he said he has not aware of any issues using these on track. If so, this may be a great, inexpensive and easy way to get some adjustment. Though I'm not sure if it will provide enough adjustment.

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-3B236-A
Old 5/3/16, 11:27 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 773 Likes on 565 Posts
Ford's bolt might be better than some but I wouldn't count on that. For street use I would agree you should be just fine. I ran camber bolts for years on the street ... mostly normal driving. For the track I would spend the cash for the plates. If just for the extra added assurance. Several good ones out there so shop around a bit before buying.
Old 5/3/16, 06:08 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
I can highly recommend the Steeda HD strut mounts. I'm running -2.0 and -2.1 of camber right now with those. Also no noise increase at all, and nice and rigid base for the shocks.
The following users liked this post:
tj@steeda (5/3/16)
Old 5/3/16, 06:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
I can highly recommend the Steeda HD strut mounts. I'm running -2.0 and -2.1 of camber right now with those. Also no noise increase at all, and nice and rigid base for the shocks.
I second 5.Monster recommendation, I have camber bolts but the deeper you go I wish I had just bought a proper camber setup initially :-). ....hence the built list for mustang drivers continues :-)
The following users liked this post:
tj@steeda (5/3/16)
Old 5/3/16, 06:58 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Mustang5o,

Happy to get you into a set of Steeda Plates ... you can read about them here - like the others have said, do it right & don't look back!

http://www.steeda.com/blog/2012/08/t...-strut-mounts/

Shoot me an email to tim@steeda.com & I can help with questions and forum pricing.

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 5/4/16, 09:12 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
I presume you did the heavy duty ones and not the competition ones (based on your noise comment), is that correct?

Originally Posted by tj@steeda
Mustang5o,

Happy to get you into a set of Steeda Plates ... you can read about them here - like the others have said, do it right & don't look back!

http://www.steeda.com/blog/2012/08/t...-strut-mounts/

Shoot me an email to tim@steeda.com & I can help with questions and forum pricing.

Best Regards,

TJ
TJ, still researching but I will be in touch if I decide Steeda is the way to go.

Thanks
Old 5/4/16, 10:59 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mustang5o
I presume you did the heavy duty ones and not the competition ones (based on your noise comment), is that correct?
Yes sir, I'm really happy with mine. And like SGwick said, if you're down the road racing rabbit hole you might as well do it right the first time. I wouldn't trust camber bolts to hold up to >1g lat abuse for to long. It's ridiculous how negative camber transforms the handling characteristics of your car. I have no unersteer any more. None. Of course I did mount big front sway, springs and adjustable shocks along with the CC plates, but the camber makes HUGE difference, and the rest of the mods allow taking full advantage of it.

My car is a fun summer car and weekend track warrior, so adjustability is important to me. I also still have to find the right amount of camber. But it's good to know you can go from stock to -2.5deg with the Steeda CC plates. I'll decide after the next few track days where I want my camber/toe and keep it there. Dampers make the most difference in "taming" the car to be a DD still.
Old 5/8/16, 03:37 PM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

Received 132 Likes on 118 Posts
5.Monster, do you have any wear issues running -2+ of camber? I asked a local shop to set mine to -1 when I had it aligned and they didn't want to. They claimed that much neg camber would cause wear issues. I think they just didn't want to adjust it since they left both sides where they were at -.4 and -.8. I wanted a bit more negative before I head to Sebring for Camp Steeda in a few weeks.
Old 5/8/16, 04:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

5.monster, redonblackpony, and few more others and I run -2.0 or more camber without any tire issues. Doing the alignment correctly (shop) seems the biggest factor. Good luck at Sebring!! on my bucket list

Last edited by SGwick; 5/8/16 at 04:22 PM.
Old 5/8/16, 04:41 PM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

Received 132 Likes on 118 Posts
Thank you, I will need some luck. This is my first time taking a car to the track.
Old 5/8/16, 04:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by EF1
Thank you, I will need some luck. This is my first time taking a car to the track.
first priority: have fun :-)
Old 5/9/16, 05:43 AM
Banned

SGwick is right. No issues at all. The key is to make sure your toe is close to 0. I think you could run into issues with uneven tire wear with high neg camber if toe is too far out. But a proper shop should be able to take care of that.
Old 5/9/16, 05:46 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by EF1
It's going to be fun. Just remember to build speed slowly. First lap is just to warm up brakes and tires, then slowly build speed in subsequent laps. That's the best way to keep it shiny side up.

Originally Posted by SGwick
first priority: have fun :-)