Notices
Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

Bilstein vs Koni and shocks for daily question.

Search this Thread

Old 12/24/20, 09:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bilstein vs Koni and shocks for daily question.

Hey y'all. got a 2010 gt. And I know i'm late on this, but it's just under 100k miles and As far as i know, the shocks/springs have never been replaced (bought it used 7 years ago at 50k miles).

I don't plan on tracking the car, Nor do I need anything adjustable.

But would like something that definitely tightens it up a bit, especially the rear end going over bumps and things it seems to really like to skip out a bit. But still having a decently smooth right for Daily driving.

From reading around it seems like Bilstein or Koni STR.T's are the most common. And the eibach springs for each.

Are there any other shocks/struts that y'all would recommend? Or are there better springs that y'all would recommend instead of the eibach to go with them?

Also, is it worth getting gt500 strut mounts for these when I do it? And is there anything else that's really an absolute "should" swap out while i'm in there as well.

Appreciate any advice on that!
Old 12/24/20, 11:17 AM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,687 Posts
I have Eibach pro springs paired with GT500 strut mounts, Koni sport adjustable struts/shocks and BMR adjustable panhard bar on my 2006 GT. Although they provide much improved handling, they're much stiffer over stock as far as ride comfort is concerned. If your looking for ride quality compared to stock, along with better overall handling? I would consider either Ford Performance M-5300-P springs, Steeda sport springs, Roush performance springs or BMR sp009 springs over Eibach springs. As for struts/shocks, I would recommend Bilstein B6 HD dampers or Ford Performance M-18000-A struts/shocks over Koni STR.T's hands down and would most definitely recommend GT500 strut mounts for their much better quality and designed specifically for sport suspension applications. Also note that once the vehicle is lowered, you'll also need to swap out your OEM panhard bar for an adjustable one which will re-center the body over the rear axle. Therefore, I strongly recommend going with the BMR adjustable panhard bar. IMHO, you can't really go wrong with any of the choices provided. Meanwhile, hope the advice posted may be useful and also welcome to TMS.

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 12/24/20 at 11:19 AM.
Old 12/25/20, 09:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Awesome, thanks!!

Just curious, do you think the bilsteins are worth 300$ over the koni's?.

I don't mind spending that if it's absolutely worth it. But also if it's a minimal difference wouldn't mind saving 300 either.

And thanks for the welcome!Merry Christmas
Old 12/26/20, 08:18 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,520 Likes on 1,039 Posts
If you just want a little more controlled ride then I'd just replace the struts and shocks and leave everything else alone; except while you are at it, you might as well replace and upgrade the strut mounts with the GT500 mounts, because if they aren't "popping" already, they probably will be soon. (I think this was more of an issue with the earlier years, might have been addressed by 2010, but it is a small added cost so you might as well do it while you are at it)

I can't say from personal experience; but from what I have read on these boards, the Bilsteins are generally a higher quality strut/shock, with "monotube" construction and better resistance to heat fade . . . .but on the street these things might not matter and you might not be able to tell the difference versus the Koni's.

If you stay with the stock springs, then the ride height will not be altered and you won't need the adjustable panhard bar or anything else. (unless you have noticed that your rear axle is not centered right now, and it is bothering you, so you want to center it -- then you need the adjustable panhard bar). Springs do not "wear out" so there is no reason to replace them, unless you want to lower the car or you want higher spring rates (read: firmer ride) . . . or if you want to avoid the labor to take the springs off the old struts and put them on the new ones. I'm pretty sure the difference in labor cost would be less than the difference in the price of the parts (bare struts/shocks versus pre-assembled strut/springs/mounts) but you might want to check the prices before you decide.
Old 12/26/20, 09:00 AM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

Received 132 Likes on 118 Posts
With 100,000 miles on the original shocks anything will be an improvement. Shocks wear so slowly you don't realize how bad they are until you replace them. I don't have any experience with the Bilstein's on my Mustang, but have run them on other vehicles. They are a top quality shock. I have run the Koni Strt on my Mustang with Steeda Sport Springs and Steeda HD mounts for several years. The ride quality was better than stock with improved handling. For street use I agree with Bert. New shocks/struts and mounts is about it unless you are looking to alter the ride height.