Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

You don't have to wait for MMP, check out the Who's the Boss track experience!

Search this Thread

Old 9/12/11, 08:51 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Ed, you musta not heard -- they solved the Boss heating problem, just have to remove the grille!

Oh, and to reduce front end weight, they're removing the hood, and headlights.

Oh, and to reduce drag they're removing the rear wing, and mirrors...

Sorry, just had to poke a little fun...
Old 9/13/11, 07:05 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
George just sent me a couple pics from my last trip to MPH after breaking into the 1:30s. Gotta love a wife that jumps right in and hooks the tie down straps to a rear axle coated in vented diff fluid
Attached Thumbnails You don't have to wait for MMP, check out the Who's the Boss track experience!-tt-03354.jpg   You don't have to wait for MMP, check out the Who's the Boss track experience!-tt-03353.jpg  
Old 9/13/11, 09:28 AM

Thought I was doing good getting the wife to detail the car for shows. Guess I better show her how to strap the car down in the trailer now.
Old 9/13/11, 11:53 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by cloud9
George just sent me a couple pics from my last trip to MPH after breaking into the 1:30s. Gotta love a wife that jumps right in and hooks the tie down straps to a rear axle coated in vented diff fluid

This should solve your rear diff fluid venting all over the rear axle housing...it did on mine.

rear end lube overflow reservoir and vent:

http://performancepartsinc.com/drive_05_09.html
Old 9/13/11, 12:42 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Sabre
This should solve your rear diff fluid venting all over the rear axle housing...it did on mine.

Thanks but I already have that on my axle tube along with the factory vent on top of the diff cover. I think it's the 150mph mile long front straightaway that's the problem.
Attached Thumbnails You don't have to wait for MMP, check out the Who's the Boss track experience!-015.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 9/13/11, 01:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Sabre

I purchased this part through my local Ford dealer for $25. Part #AR3Z4A058B. I did not install mine in the axle tube, but rather installed it in place of the vent on the top of the cover.
Old 9/13/11, 01:07 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 2006mach1
I purchased this part through my local Ford dealer for $25. Part #AR3Z4A058B. I did not install mine in the axle tube, but rather installed it in place of the vent on the top of the cover.
That's where I bought mine as well. I think it was actually a TSB part. Is there enough clearance when the suspension fully compresses? Looked a little crowded up there. You can see the turkey baster got a little scorched under compression and hit the exhaust pipe. Maybe I should just cap the top of the diff and leave the baster, but I'm worried about not venting at all then.

Frankly, I think it's just an over full condition. Can anyone find the correct fill level? I've read anywhere from 1/2" to 1" below the fill plug threads.
Old 9/13/11, 02:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Why not let her race then ;-)
Old 9/13/11, 03:10 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by LadyBoss302
Why not let her race then ;-)
Just waiting for her to ask
Old 9/13/11, 08:08 PM
Bullitt Member

That's where I bought mine as well. I think it was actually a TSB part. Is there enough clearance when the suspension fully compresses? Looked a little crowded up there. You can see the turkey baster got a little scorched under compression and hit the exhaust pipe. Maybe I should just cap the top of the diff and leave the baster, but I'm worried about not venting at all then.

Frankly, I think it's just an over full condition. Can anyone find the correct fill level? I've read anywhere from 1/2" to 1" below the fill plug threads.
As far as the fill level, the Boss supplement book states to fill the axle 1/4 to 9/16 inch below bottom of fill hole.

And as far as clearance goes, when the suspension is fully compressed and on the stoppers, I have 2 to 3 inches of clearance between the top the baster to the body of the vehicle. I also did not use the plastic breather that came with the baster, but used the breather I took out of the top of the axle cover in place of the plastic piece.
Old 9/13/11, 08:17 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 2006mach1
As far as the fill level, the Boss supplement book states to fill the axle 1/4 to 9/16 inch below bottom of fill hole.

And as far as clearance goes, when the suspension is fully compressed and on the stoppers, I have 2 to 3 inches of clearance between the top the baster to the body of the vehicle. I also did not use the plastic breather that came with the baster, but used the breather I took out of the top of the axle cover in place of the plastic piece.
Thanks for the info. Have you been running it on track with this setup? How did you attach the stock breather to the baster?

I had the same issue on my GT500, but we used a piece of rubber hose about 4" long and attached a breather filter and screwed it to the axle tube location. Never had any venting after that. The fluid absorbed into the filter then drained back into the axle.

Last edited by cloud9; 9/13/11 at 08:19 PM.
Old 9/13/11, 08:29 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just measured out 2 1/2 quarts (5 pints) including the friction modifier. You can even go a tint bit less since there will always be a little left over oil in there. I have had no issues this way.
Old 9/13/11, 08:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for the info. Have you been running it on track with this setup? How did you attach the stock breather to the baster?
You pull the plastic breather out of the baster, then thread the original breather into the top of the rubber baster. I used small hose clamps on both ends of the baster, but it probably is not necessary. I used the original breather as it has a check valve in it. And yes, I have ran this setup on the track.
Old 9/14/11, 08:00 AM
Cobra Member

I got one of the last Shelby KR pieces a while back, mounts using the gas tank strap bolts. About the size of a one liter bottle, no overflow issues yet! If you can weld (I can't), you can fab one up for a lot less than the $129 they charged.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...-solution.html

http://www.shelbystore.com/ProductDe...e=8R3V-4022-KR
Old 9/14/11, 10:20 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

The 10 days forecast just crept up to Friday, the night of the reception. 78 degrees and Sunny with 0% chance of precip!
Old 9/14/11, 10:50 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by CO_VaporGT_09
I got one of the last Shelby KR pieces a while back, mounts using the gas tank strap bolts. About the size of a one liter bottle, no overflow issues yet! If you can weld (I can't), you can fab one up for a lot less than the $129 they charged.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...-solution.html

http://www.shelbystore.com/ProductDe...e=8R3V-4022-KR
I bought this as well, and it worked like a charm on my '06. Haven't had an issue on the Boss yet, no need to install so far; it is sitting on my workbench in my garage. Maybe I am not driving FLAT OUT enough.
Old 9/14/11, 11:00 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 06GT
I bought this as well, and it worked like a charm on my '06. Haven't had an issue on the Boss yet, no need to install so far; it is sitting on my workbench in my garage. Maybe I am not driving FLAT OUT enough.
I think it's the high speed straightaways that really cook the rear end and trans. Looked like the track you were on was more technical. The mile long front straight at BIR probably heats it up pretty good. You pull through 3rd, 4th and 5th to redline.
Old 9/16/11, 08:54 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

OK, here's the latest information. Below you will find the weekend's schedule:
http://www.racemph.com/Mustang-Ford-Schedule-2011.pdf

For fuel, Bosselman's Pump & Pantry in just around the corner from the track and has 91 Unleaded without ethanol and a 24/7 nice "C" store too. MPH has GT260 Sonoco Racing fuel with ethanol and Sonoco 112 leaded fuel available both available at $9/Gal and pumped into your 5 gallon race fuel container only.

Arriving on Friday, the closest Tire store is near the track and called Garrett Tire. They help with many of our race tire mounts and would be open Saturday AM. We have several other tire stores too.

MPH has an air compressor at the track located just by grid.

They have very nice 20/30/50 AMP RV Spots and very nice showers and bath facilities. The Guardrail Clubhouse will be your home away from home while you are visiting MPH.

Hotels are less than 7 minutes from the track (in a Boss) all others 8 minutes.
Old 9/16/11, 10:07 AM
Bullitt Member

Dang... might have to scrub in some tires on Saturday at the auto-x. Haven't done that for a while (and never in this car).
Old 9/16/11, 10:17 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by JScheier
Dang... might have to scrub in some tires on Saturday at the auto-x. Haven't done that for a while (and never in this car).
Ditto. The parking lot guys might put a whooping on me Saturday morning. Oh well, just brought home a set of Nittos the dealer mounted for me yesterday and need to take the shine off somehow.

Quick Reply: You don't have to wait for MMP, check out the Who's the Boss track experience!