Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Workaround for FUBAR'ed Colors

Search this Thread

Old 8/16/10, 08:32 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Workaround for FUBAR'ed Colors

Just thinking out loud here. How about ordering your Boss 302 with "stripe delete" in either performance white, yellow blaze or competition orange. Now this will get you a "naked" car just like a Shelby with stripe delete. Now, back add only the side tape stripes by yourself. What do you think? Now you don't have that off colored roof and part hood.

The chassis and power plant engineers did very well, but the exterior design guys IMHO flew a bit too free. The original bosses had flatted out hoods so that a brightly polished hood wouldn't reflect light into the eyes while racing. This is also why many modern windshield wipers are blacked out. It makes a difference - if you don't believe me I will take you for ride in my '56 Bird in bright sunlight. Bring an extra pair of retinas.

The different colored roof and part hood don't seem to do anything functional. On the original bosses, the tape stripes were black during the day, but were reflective at night. For a black boss, you would definitely be able to see the stripe at night. As a matter of fact, they light up like a bulb when headlights shine on them. If it were the same for the new bosses, you would only be able to see the reflections from the top and hood when the car was on its side. That wouldn't be any fun, because something bad would have happened. Then again, perhaps that's why they are there - to let you know if you have crashed or not.

YMMV
Old 8/16/10, 08:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Ford should definitely allow stripe delete
Old 8/16/10, 09:34 PM
Cobra Member

If Ford can't offer reasonable stripe options then they should definitely offer a "stripe delete" option. And for god's sake, offer the Boss 302 (non-LS model) in black
Old 8/16/10, 11:11 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by MustangFanatic
If Ford can't offer reasonable stripe options then they should definitely offer a "stripe delete" option. And for god's sake, offer the Boss 302 (non-LS model) in black
+1000000
Old 8/16/10, 11:54 PM

I don't think the colors are that bad lol. The car is meant for the track so being somewhat loud and obnoxious is alright. I think Ford could have done much better with the regular BOSS 302's rims though. Those things just look ugly and cheap to me. Never been a fan of shiny black pained rims and the design just looks cheap to me.

The red and black LS is easily the best looking to me and probably what i would choose assuming Ford doesnt let you opt for solid colors.

I agree with you that the styling guys probably went a bit crazy here. They could have done something really special if they wanted. Like a black LS with matte black stripes.... mmmmm

Last edited by elbowz11; 8/16/10 at 11:57 PM.
Old 8/17/10, 12:27 AM
Bullitt Member

I like the rims on the standard Boss, unique but a play on history. I think black wheels fit the character of the car as well.
Old 8/17/10, 07:21 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Silver Mini Lite rims!
Old 8/17/10, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by MustangFanatic
+ One billion...
Old 8/18/10, 04:36 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by elbowz11
I don't think the colors are that bad lol. The car is meant for the track so being somewhat loud and obnoxious is alright. I think Ford could have done much better with the regular BOSS 302's rims though. Those things just look ugly and cheap to me. Never been a fan of shiny black pained rims and the design just looks cheap to me.
Yeah, the shiny black rims look like a cheap aftermarket product. If they don't change the design they should at least make them a satin black and add a unique Boss 302 center cap.
I would like to keep this car as close to original as possible, but I just could not keep those on there the way they are. I really think they should have gone more along the lines of the styling on the 2011 GT500 SVT performance pack wheel.
Old 8/18/10, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Minicobra
Yeah, the shiny black rims look like a cheap aftermarket product. If they don't change the design they should at least make them a satin black and add a unique Boss 302 center cap.
I would like to keep this car as close to original as possible, but I just could not keep those on there the way they are. I really think they should have gone more along the lines of the styling on the 2011 GT500 SVT performance pack wheel.
Perfect response. I agree 100% I would love to keep this stock. Ford has done a wonderful job. But I don't like the wheels. Something more GT500 SVTPP or Boss 302R or RTR style.
Old 8/19/10, 09:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by CrossBoss
The different colored roof and part hood don't seem to do anything functional.
It differentiates the Boss from a regular GT.

Agree...wish they were satin or flat black. I actually like the style though, they look like mini-lite wheels from the 60's and 70's.

I really think they should have gone more along the lines of the styling on the 2011 GT500 SVT performance pack wheel.
Originally Posted by Ice Hawk
But I don't like the wheels. Something more GT500 SVTPP or Boss 302R or RTR style.
The Boss has to have different wheels and these are unique to the Boss. If SVTPP wheels were used (or RTR's which look almost identical) then the GT500 owners would scream and I wouldn't blame them. Remember how overdone Bullitt wheels got?