Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

WHO is the Boss 302 for?

Search this Thread

Old 8/18/10, 07:28 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WHO is the Boss 302 for?

Okay guys, I'm asking for some input here.
Who is the target market for the Boss 302?
I'm liking what I've been reading about the car but I'm wondering if this car is aimed towards those that will want to take it to the track.
For me I'll just be driving it on the street, so will this car be suitable for this?

Compounding my concern is a couple of recent posts that hint at a Mach 1. I'm not sure if this is just wishful thinking or if there is some truth to it. If it's true perhaps the Mach 1 will be the better street performer.

And then of course there is the little matter of my 08 GT500....I love that car and I'd hate to get rid of it and find that I've traded down (so to speak).
So will the Boss 302 be a street performer as well?

Thoughts?
Old 8/18/10, 07:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Perform on the street as in stop-light drag racing? The car is optimized for top-end power (less low-end torque) on a road course, not street performance.

IMHO for the MSRP of probably $40k + ADMs + limited options/color choices you're better off with a '11 GT Premium with all the options you want and then mod to your hearts content.

If you see yourself getting into road racing, the sheer amount of parts upgraded on the Boss 302 with a factory warranty can't be beat!
Old 8/18/10, 07:35 PM
Cobra Member

The non LS will certainly be a street performer of the highest level!! If this car wouldn't be delivered in the april-june timeframe I would be locking up one now but my car has to be delivered by end of Feb/first of march 2011 as my lease is up on my current car.
Old 8/18/10, 07:36 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's not overly radical, it will perform just fine on the street although it is aimed at the track.

Doubt if it will be as comfortable as a regular GT, but passable.

Lots of guys drive more radical cars than these will be on the street.
Old 8/18/10, 07:53 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
As far as appearance goes the Boss is more for the track than the street. I hope the front splitter is removable as the 2K Cobra R was, that Ford offers the option of stripes delete, and one color rather than the two tone which might distinguish it from other current Mustang models but has only a miniscule and rare touch with its heritage.

For the track it is perfect, its specs point to lots of fun on a road course and likely to be better balanced than the GT500 without the SVTPP.
Old 8/18/10, 07:54 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr

Doubt if it will be as comfortable as a regular GT, but passable.
I'm not too concerned about ride per se. My GT500 rides a little harder than my 08 Bullitt rode, so I've got no problem with that type of ride.
The GT500 certainly has all the power I could want, well maybe not ALL the power I could want
But Ford has refined the ride of the Mustang so much over the last few years I'm interested in a Mustang that has a bit more balanced handling.

I really do most of my "speed" driving light to light. I just like getting on the throttle and give it a quick burst. While the GT500 has more HP, I'm wondering if it's added weight and it's difficulty in hooking up will actually mean the Boss 302 will launch better- which would mean that it will be quicker light to light. Also I'm wondering if the Boss 302's improved balance and handling will also make one feel a little more confident getting on the gas?
Old 8/18/10, 07:55 PM
FR500 Member

ME!!!

You can close the thread now.

Seriously though, I plan to track this car, which is exactly why it's been built. Though because of the adjustable shocks, the regular BOSS will be streetable. Setting 1 will provide a decent ride for the street. The LS is a different story, though, its shock settings start where the regular BOSS's end. With the extra stiff rear suspension on a live axle, the LS will likely not be particularly friendly, and the splitter almost certainly won't clear speed bumps because it is so far forward of the front wheels.

Last edited by PTRocks; 8/18/10 at 08:09 PM.
Old 8/18/10, 09:56 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Guys like me that will take the car to track days or gut it to make it an all-out competition car.

THANK YOU, FORD!!!
Old 8/18/10, 09:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd say the collector crowd. If your really interested in track you buy something your not afraid to wreak.
Old 8/18/10, 11:03 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 908ssp
I'd say the collector crowd. If your really interested in track you buy something your not afraid to wreak.

That's what I was thinking. I'm sure some will hit the track, but most won't. I mean how many years have people been waiting? And so then they're going to thrash it? Drive it... drive it hard, yes. But thrash as a track monster?

Even though it would probably handle it great, there's just not that many of them... past, present, future, to treat like a thrasher (unless they don't restrict production very much). Isn't that what the Boss 302R is for?

Last edited by cdynaco; 8/18/10 at 11:09 PM.
Old 8/18/10, 11:41 PM

It's a car, it's meant to be driven.
Not all of us have $80K+ (or a Grand-Am competition license) that's required to purchase one of the 50-ish BOSS302Rs made.
Old 8/19/10, 02:53 AM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
its built for someone who really strives to enjoy the drive
Old 8/19/10, 06:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

i definitely dont think the intention was for this car to be a daily driver the way the regular GT and GT500 can be. not that a few wont use it as such. ford probably expects weekend track day racers and collectors to be the primary audience for the Boss.

They could have given it more mass appeal by ditching the adjustable suspension and offering all the same comfort options as the premium GT but then it wouldnt be as special a road racer.
Old 8/19/10, 06:44 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

its built to make ford money. so its not going to appeal to just one group.

once the price is revealed we will know who its really aimed at. That alone will tell the public everything.

Last edited by Flagstang; 8/19/10 at 06:45 AM.
Old 8/19/10, 08:04 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by xlover
They could have given it more mass appeal by ditching the adjustable suspension and offering all the same comfort options as the premium GT but then it wouldnt be as special a road racer.
If they had done that then it would have been the much derided 'wheels and stickers' package. Thank God they didn't allow that to happen.
Old 8/19/10, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by PTRocks
If they had done that then it would have been the much derided 'wheels and stickers' package. Thank God they didn't allow that to happen.
Agreed.
Old 8/19/10, 10:11 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by PTRocks
well stickers, wheels, and....... motor. Personally i would have been ok with this as it was what i would have wanted to buy but i am ok with the direction they took it. Ill just look into waiting for a next gen GT or a gt500 instead.
Old 8/19/10, 10:38 AM

[quote=jedikd;5932632]Perform on the street as in stop-light drag racing? The car is optimized for top-end power (less low-end torque) on a road course, not street performance.

I would have to disagree with that. The regulat gt's are getting 12.6 to 12.8 in the quarter during this hot summer weather so they will probably get 12.5 or better when it cools off. The boss will have an extra 30 HP which should drop it to 12.3 or 12.4 in cooler weather. Add to the fact that with the higher rev limit, it will have one less gear to change in the quarter which could knock off another tenth so now maybe 12.2. Another issue is the adjustable shcks which may be adjusted for improved traction and 60 ft. times. I'm not sure about this, but it could take of another tenth and get to 12.1 bone stock. If you get another 30 HP from a tune you could be in the elevens with just a tune. Also, this engine could very well be underated but we will just have to wait and see. but regaurdless it will most likely be a low 12 second car at the least. that will be dominating camaros and challengers and competing with corvettes and shelbys.
I think it's going to dominate the streets, especially for a car that costs 40K.
Old 8/19/10, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by cdynaco

That's what I was thinking. I'm sure some will hit the track, but most won't. I mean how many years have people been waiting? And so then they're going to thrash it? Drive it... drive it hard, yes. But thrash as a track monster?
I'm not made of money so don't get me wrong, but heck yes I'm going to thrash this thing. It's a $20K discount to an M3 and pretty much comes track prepped. I hope these things get driven properly.
Old 8/19/10, 01:19 PM
GT Member

Built for the same type people that bought the Boss 302's back in 1969/70. Drivers,that like a small cube, high winding, great handling pony car,for even spirited drives on those nice back country roads.
Back then there were faster straight line cars to pick from,but the Boss,and it's competition the Z/28, filled a special need,not to forget that it's main purpose was to legalize it for Trans Am racing.

Quick Reply: WHO is the Boss 302 for?