Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

What have you done to/with your Boss 302 this week?

Search this Thread

Old 3/3/13, 12:26 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just put the stock baffles back in the car and took it for a drive. Now it's too quiet! A quick note, the dealer had the baffles out when I bought the car, so I have never heard it with them in. Now it's quieter then when I bought it.

So, I have two choices, either buy a set of baffles with different sized openings, or take a uni-bit to these and open them up myself a little at a time until I get the sound back to what it was with the cats. I'm leaning towards the uni-bit, it's free.

As for power, the difference I see may be Shaun's tune that is now running on it. i gotta think the exhuast is flowing better without the cats. Not as good as long tubes, but these were only $139 from Jegs and pretty easy to put on. I may still do long tubes sometime in the future, but at least I can run the Lope tune. You can't with cats.
Old 3/3/13, 12:45 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jay, How much power do you think you have picked up with the tune and cat tubes? I am assuming at least a seat of the pants feel.
Old 3/3/13, 01:14 PM
Cobra Member

Location: NJ. Waiting for our Gov. to be held accountable for his actions>>>Jersey Broke
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by jaywoo
I just put the stock baffles back in the car and took it for a drive. Now it's too quiet! A quick note, the dealer had the baffles out when I bought the car, so I have never heard it with them in. Now it's quieter then when I bought it.

So, I have two choices, either buy a set of baffles with different sized openings, or take a uni-bit to these and open them up myself a little at a time until I get the sound back to what it was with the cats. I'm leaning towards the uni-bit, it's free.

As for power, the difference I see may be Shaun's tune that is now running on it. i gotta think the exhuast is flowing better without the cats. Not as good as long tubes, but these were only $139 from Jegs and pretty easy to put on. I may still do long tubes sometime in the future, but at least I can run the Lope tune. You can't with cats.
From what I have read on these fourms. Long tube headers do not make that much of a differance in HP compared to the factory headers. Most of the power gains are in the removal of the Cats.
Old 3/3/13, 01:34 PM
GT Member

I feels more perky, that's for sure. If I had to guess I'd say maybe 20hp between the exhaust and tune. I didn't get a before dyno but in the next couple of weeks I'll get an after. And just figure maybe 385 before. I was just looking at the cats. There are pretty small screens top and bottom that the exhaust air has to go through. Looks pretty restrictive. I dunno, but for $139 and maybe a couple hours to put them in I think the cat delete pipes are worth it.

I have two videos I'll post up, one prior to the baffle install and one after.
Old 3/3/13, 01:40 PM
GT Member

Before baffles:

After:

As with most videos , my iPhone doesn't do the sound justice.
Old 3/3/13, 04:34 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,252 Likes on 1,678 Posts
Nice!!!
Old 3/4/13, 11:21 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Will be installing Whiteline LCA's, PHB, PHB Brace, relo brackets, FRPP P springs, and GT500 hats. Hope to have a few pics of before and after.
Old 3/4/13, 01:25 PM
V6 Member

Hey Jaywoo - I love the sound of your car even just at idle. I was actually thinking about doing the cat deletes myself and just wanted your opinion about how loud it is at idle and just putting around. I already have the side pipes open and GT500 axlebacks but I don't want to annoy my neighbors too much more (although I know how incredibly, awesomely loud it will be at WOT!).

Thank you in advance!

John
Old 3/4/13, 02:31 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by KonaBlueeBoss302
Hey Jaywoo - I love the sound of your car even just at idle. I was actually thinking about doing the cat deletes myself and just wanted your opinion about how loud it is at idle and just putting around. I already have the side pipes open and GT500 axlebacks but I don't want to annoy my neighbors too much more (although I know how incredibly, awesomely loud it will be at WOT!).

Thank you in advance!

John
At idle without the baffles it sounded awesome! Even at highway speeds when the car wasn't under load it sounded ok to me. However under even light acceleration I thought it was too loud inside the car. Maybe I'm just getting old! Anyway, I still need to take the baffles back out (because now it's too quiet) and drill out the holes. Might be a project for tonight after work.

I was at Sam's Club a couple days ago before I put the baffles back in. I was kinda close to the entrance/exit area. Started it up and idled by and a bunch of people were staring. Half of them were probably thinking I needed a new exhaust.

Oh, I still have the stock Boss mufflers, but sooner or later I'm changing to the 2013 GT500 slash tips. I don't care if it's loud out back, but I can't have it rattling the interior.

Last edited by jaywoo; 3/4/13 at 02:34 PM.
Old 3/4/13, 03:34 PM
V6 Member

Thank you for the feedback. I have some 7/8" discs that I bought a while back and if I go with the cat delete and feel like it's too loud, I may put those back in.

Two more questions if you don't mind: 1) do you still have your engine bay sound tube hooked up? and 2) do you notice an increase in smell or fumes from the side pipes since you removed the cats?

Thank you again!
Old 3/4/13, 07:09 PM
GT Member

The sound tube is gone, I took that out a while back. i couldn't hear any difference with the baffles out anyway. Without the cats and especially with the Lopey tune I do smell more gas at idle. No biggie though. The cat delete was a good mod.
Old 3/4/13, 07:22 PM
V6 Member

Great thank you for all of your feedback, Jaywoo!
Old 3/5/13, 01:13 AM
INKY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thought about putting insurance back on her and starting to drive to work again!!!
Old 3/5/13, 03:58 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Boss 1409
Thought about putting insurance back on her and starting to drive to work again!!!
I have to keep full insurance on it, even during storage, as long as I still owe the bank its required. :-(
Old 3/5/13, 05:54 AM
INKY

Originally Posted by UnrealFord
I have to keep full insurance on it, even during storage, as long as I still owe the bank its required. :-(
Never asked my bank, of course it was USAA, same as my insurance, last year and they didn't complain.
Old 3/6/13, 07:24 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Just finished suspension install, was able to set the rear up pretty well, just 1 mm off on the passenger side. Summit Point this weekend should let me figure out if itt was worth the time and money. Pics tomorrow.
Old 3/6/13, 10:42 PM
JPC
Bullitt Member

new Hurst shifter :-)
love that spring action
Attached Thumbnails What have you done to/with your Boss 302 this week?-hurst-shiter.jpg  
Old 3/7/13, 12:54 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Bought hood struts that dont require a huge bracket on hood.

Name:  ForumRunner_20130307_025355.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  17.4 KB
Old 3/7/13, 01:02 AM
INKY

Originally Posted by UnrealFord
Bought hood struts that dont require a huge bracket on hood.
Nice!

Drove her into work two straight days now!!!
Old 3/7/13, 04:27 AM
Cobra Member

Location: NJ. Waiting for our Gov. to be held accountable for his actions>>>Jersey Broke
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by JPC
new Hurst shifter :-)
love that spring action
I have the same shifter. Guess your also comfortable with no lockout rev. I have one question. The rubber gromet on your shift boot is different then mine. On mine you see the top of the gromet.
It just dawned on me. Is your gromet pushed down inside the shift boot?
Maybe thats why you dont see it. Nice install.

Quick Reply: What have you done to/with your Boss 302 this week?