Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Web Site for a Boss Registry

Search this Thread

Old 4/26/11, 08:12 AM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
Originally Posted by bigbossman
... I want to feel my imaginary prestige...
Too bad Parnelli Jones was not partial to turtle necks but there is always the local tattoo shop.

Old 4/26/11, 06:09 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Setting aside all the snob stuff, this is a good discussion. It is something I would like to be a part of but my knowledge of websites and the like is limited. I have been taking car of tracking the numbers here and have been doing my best to keep it correct. The big issue is keeping out false or changed numbers but for the most part I do this this for fun.

I would like to still hear more from you guys then we can look at all options and decide the best way to go, I just do not see myself making a decision on this alone. PTRocks has also been a big part of tracking and his input is invaluable but he lacks the time to take the lead in the long term.

One thing is for sure having a 12 Boss registry is a must for these cars, not sure that makes me a snob but if you look at what the boss302.com has done for the original it makes sense. They not only pass on info to potential buyers about fakes and re-bodies (which would be harder to do with the 12's) but the site is full of very helpful info. The fact is the Boss name is special, you see every other 69/70 Mustang listed on eBay and elsewhere as a "Boss", even coupes, lol. We are already starting to see the same with the 12's.
Old 4/26/11, 09:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
If you take a look at either the Mach 1 Registry or IMBOC, there are a few crucial elements that make these places work in terms of documentation. In my opinion, this is what would be needed -

1) a website with forum to connect owners or those enthusiastic about the S197 Boss
2) a database to store crucial information about each vehicle
3) an administrator(s) who oversee the integrity of the data ongoing
4) a group of people who are committed to ensuring the website and forum infrastructure is available, reliable, secure, and backed up

Number 3 is especially critical because without some degree of oversight, you could potentially loose valuable information as a vehicle is modified, pass among owners, etc.

Forums definitely let people see the "lifecycle" of each cars identified in the database. Already, this type of content exists in several places - The Mustang Source Boss 302 subforum, Boss Mustang Performance, Boss Mustangs Online, and Boss302.com.

So, someone who is passionate and active with at least one of these places might definitely make some headway by making contact with John Clor of the Ford Performance Group. Perhaps it might be several people.

I presume that the "Certificates of Authenticity" would be part of FPG's plan, similar to what was done for SVT vehicles (Mustang, Focus), Mach 1, Bullitt, and the S197 California Specials. This is a big reason, in my mind, to have an affiliated group with FPG.

Not that I own an S197 Boss, but I would be willing to make that contact to get his thoughts on what needs to happen to get a sustainable organization and tracking mechanism.

Thoughts?
Old 4/26/11, 10:01 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is getting good
Old 4/26/11, 10:57 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Alonso
... Thoughts?
$$$.

I would assume there are costs associated to maintain such project thus financial reliance would fall on sponsors and advertisers since membership participation on contributing membership dues and (if) proceeds from products sold is usually minimal.
Old 4/27/11, 08:00 AM
GT Member

I don't think financial or a lot of other things are the concern. The dedication and time is. Ask Randy of the original Boss registry. I have been a member since there were mail out newsletters in the early 80s. Randy and his people started it and continue to this day. That's dedication!!! Randy truly loves the Boss and it is a labor of love. I do believe because they have been so dedicated in keeping the Boss name alive it has been a factor in keeping the value of the original Bosses up. If this idea grows someone might talk to Randy and get ideas. There is a section on the web site for the 2012 Boss but Randy might welcome the help. I believe the Boss is special and am so glad at how Ford handled the "legend Returns" so if this registry happens it has to be as good as the first and that will be tough. Randy Ream is to a Boss registry as Larry Shinoda is the the Boss car. I'm not saying it can't be done and I would love to see it but it will take that special person.
Old 4/28/11, 04:15 AM
Bullitt Member

I just got an email this morning from The Boss 302 Forum to register my Boss. I believe the site is run by Robert Lane. I didn't have time this morning to get all the information their form wanted but plan to fill it out tonight. I have no idea if Robert is willing to do everything that has been stated here but I know he has been involved in the Ford/Mustang Forums for quite awhile.

Is this what everyone was looking for?

http://www.boss302forum.com/index.php?/index
Old 4/28/11, 05:04 AM
Cobra Member

I received an email as well from them.
Old 4/28/11, 06:54 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I would definitely ask about being affiliated with the FPG.
Old 4/28/11, 06:38 PM
Cobra Member

Tony, I really like your suggestion regarding FPG, helps keep it tied closely to Ford and adds a certain degree of legitimacy. Also agree there needs to be a certain amount of data rigor involved not only to ensure accuracy but also ensure it isn't lost or compromised.