2012-2013 BOSS 302

Value question

Search this Thread

Old 2/26/13, 01:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Number23
GM expect such car to become available by then end of the decade. Once autonomous vehicles become available people will stop learning to drive.

Teens today are more interested in their cell phones and social networking then cars and of those that are getting a drivers licence, how many know how to operate a manual transmission? One of our baby sitters had no idea what the small pedal on the left was for, she'd never seen a car with a clutch.

How many people are going to be interested in 15 or 20 year old car that can't be (or is prohibitively expensive to be) driven on public roads?

Enjoy the car now, don't save it for somebody else.
Just because technology advances doesn't mean there isn't passion for the old tech.
You're just being silly now.
Look at the people that collect old guns, telephones, game systems, etc etc. Nobody is looking at a pristine flintlock rifle today and saying it's worthless because people are too lazy nowadays to go through the process of loading each individual shot. Despite technology's advancing march, there's always going to be a certain amount of passion among collectors, fans, etc. Where there's passion, there's history, and where there's history, often times value follows.

I don't have as much faith in these autonomous cars as you do.
They invented a robot that can swing a bat and hit a ball. Baseball's still here. Because people are still passionate about it and find fun and joy in it. Just like with our cars. If people were losing interest in driving the way you claim, we'd be seeing an uptick in public transportation, or everyone would resort to driving something beige in style/performance, like a Toyota...

Advancing technology is not the limiting factor here. If anything, it will be the unavailability of resources needed to operate. And even in a shortage of fossil fuels, we'd just find a way to convert our rides to whatever's trendy at the time, and keep on keepin' on. Hell even Doc Brown upgraded to a Mr. Fusion on the DeLorean.
Old 2/26/13, 01:16 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RedGT12
So if their going to automate the car transportation that would mean they would have to enforce it, I know everyone on here would revolt against that to drive their precious mustang
First it's gun rights now driving rights..hahaha. Never gonna happen...lol
Kinda reminds me of I-robot
I guess enjoy your 302's while you can
Government won't have to enforce anything, insurance companies will. Autonomous cars will prove to be so much safer than human drivers, they'll make it too expensive to drive yourself.

The biggest hurdle will be, what a writer for Jalopnik describe as, "The Ticket Industrial Complex". As we all know, there's no shortage of states, cities and towns that make significant revenue from traffic tickets. But in the end, insurance companies will win out.

For a host of reasons, autonomous cars will prove to be too compelling for too many for anyone or anything to stop them.
Old 2/26/13, 02:18 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by black_bullitt
Just because technology advances doesn't mean there isn't passion for the old tech.
You're just being silly now.
Look at the people that collect old guns, telephones, game systems, etc etc. Nobody is looking at a pristine flintlock rifle today and saying it's worthless because people are too lazy nowadays to go through the process of loading each individual shot. Despite technology's advancing march, there's always going to be a certain amount of passion among collectors, fans, etc. Where there's passion, there's history, and where there's history, often times value follows.

I don't have as much faith in these autonomous cars as you do.
They invented a robot that can swing a bat and hit a ball. Baseball's still here. Because people are still passionate about it and find fun and joy in it. Just like with our cars. If people were losing interest in driving the way you claim, we'd be seeing an uptick in public transportation, or everyone would resort to driving something beige in style/performance, like a Toyota...

Advancing technology is not the limiting factor here. If anything, it will be the unavailability of resources needed to operate. And even in a shortage of fossil fuels, we'd just find a way to convert our rides to whatever's trendy at the time, and keep on keepin' on. Hell even Doc Brown upgraded to a Mr. Fusion on the DeLorean.
Guns, stamps, coins, or vintage electronics and the like don't require ongoing, regular, expensive maintenance nor do they require insurance to operate or enjoy. That's why a teenager can have an extensive vintage Nintendo collection, but you need to be Jay Leno to have a large vintage car collection.
Old 2/26/13, 03:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

He does have quite the collection of cars
Old 2/27/13, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by SBYBoss
None of the above.

Mine will be worth the most (to me) because I will already have extracted much more value by driving and enjoying the heck out of it!

If someone else wants to do a Concours restoration down the road and extract more value then that's great but I bought the car for my enjoyment.
Car was built to be driven. Mine (SBY#235) is a daily driver with two carseats in the back for my 2 year old and 4 year old who may actually love riding as much as I love driving. Purchased 9 months ago, and just busted 13,000 glorious miles on the odometer. I keep her clean, but drive in the rain. I have rock chips in the paint....and I smile from ear to ear every morning when I start her up.
Old 3/1/13, 07:27 AM
V6 Member

FYI
http://green.autoblog.com/2013/03/01...n-phones-than/
Old 3/2/13, 09:22 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
13,000 is not bad for a daily driver. Since you drive it a lot, how has the oil consumption been? When are you doing oil changes? My parents are down from WA, and like getting taken out to dinner in the Boss. My mom loves the sound, says it reminds her of cars she had in the 60's and 70's.

Dave
Old 3/3/13, 05:24 AM

Once again, this is a silly comparison. Apples to Oranges. THIS thread is about the value of the BOSS. (Not cars in general.) The target audience for the BOSS is a pretty unique subset, and ultimately, their - wait for it - passion for the car is what will determine the long term value of the BOSS.
You can't make a legitimate comparison between fufu coffee drinking iHipsters who use apps to avoid driving and enthusiasts who drive a car whose sole purpose is to bring gratuitous amounts of pleasure to the driver.
Old 3/3/13, 10:36 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by black_bullitt
Once again, this is a silly comparison. Apples to Oranges. THIS thread is about the value of the BOSS. (Not cars in general.) The target audience for the BOSS is a pretty unique subset, and ultimately, their - wait for it - passion for the car is what will determine the long term value of the BOSS.
You can't make a legitimate comparison between fufu coffee drinking iHipsters who use apps to avoid driving and enthusiasts who drive a car whose sole purpose is to bring gratuitous amounts of pleasure to the driver.
You miss the point entirely. Kids today, who will one day be able to purchase a Boss are not interested in cars. The car as a cultural icon and object of status and desire is quickly becoming a thing of the past. So the number of people who may want to own a Boss 302 20 or 30 years from now will be vanishingly small
Old 3/3/13, 11:54 AM
V6 Member

You miss the point entirely. Kids today, who will one day be able to purchase a Boss are not interested in cars. The car as a cultural icon and object of status and desire is quickly becoming a thing of the past. So the number of people who may want to own a Boss 302 20 or 30 years from now will be vanishingly small
I understand what you're saying but I'm not sure I agree. When I was a kid I loved cars but I had many friends who were not particularly interested - and that was during the original muscle car era. My family all liked cars and I think that fed my interest.

Today when I drive my Boss it's often kids who are craning their necks to see it and make comments about how much they like it. I doubt that these kids will forget their love for cars when they grow up.

And if kids have lost their interest in cars how do we explain the plethora of popular video games that feature car themes? See here... http://jalopnik.com/5350255/the-20-g...ar-video-games

I don't know how it will all play out but I have a hard time believing that cars will not continue to interest a lot of kids and ex-kids in the years to come.