2012-2013 BOSS 302

Value question

Search this Thread

Old 2/16/13, 09:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Value question

Ok, so, I see all the snow pics and Mustangs in garages for a few months at a time, and it got me wondering.

What will be worth more 20 years from now:

1-A Boss whose life was spent in a cold climate, where it was garaged for at least a good part of the winter each year, so the mileage is low. The owner did drive it occasionally during the "decent" days in November or December, maybe in January. The car might get a bit of salt from the road on it. Mileage is 2500 a year.

2-A Boss whose life was spent in a warm climate, where it could be driven year round. It is garaged, so no real sun damage except maybe a bit of fade on the dash. Mileage is say 4000 a year.

3-Won't matter at all....a Boss is a Boss.

Dave
Old 2/17/13, 07:25 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You must be bored.
Old 2/17/13, 09:25 AM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
To answer this Q, one must have a working crystal ball and a Genie with 3 wishes granted.
Come on people, get real!!!
Old 2/17/13, 10:45 AM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
None of the above.

Mine will be worth the most (to me) because I will already have extracted much more value by driving and enjoying the heck out of it!

If someone else wants to do a Concours restoration down the road and extract more value then that's great but I bought the car for my enjoyment.
Old 2/18/13, 07:11 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

For best resale value stick to a Camry.
Old 2/18/13, 12:04 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine's stored for Winter, then driven like hell in summer. 30,000k on mine. So worthless, I guess.
Old 2/18/13, 12:30 PM
RTD
GT Member

Originally Posted by SBYBoss
None of the above.

Mine will be worth the most (to me) because I will already have extracted much more value by driving and enjoying the heck out of it!

If someone else wants to do a Concours restoration down the road and extract more value then that's great but I bought the car for my enjoyment.
This.

People need to turn off the Mecum and Barrett-Jackson and come back down to planet earth.

99.9% of the time, buying a limited edition car and sticking it in a garage with the hopes that it will be worth something 30 years down the road will result in a NEGATIVE inflation-adjusted return on investment after you consider storage, maintenance, and insurance costs. As you approach the 45-50 year mark your odds might get SLIGHTLY better but by then you're an old man.

Bottom line: cars are not investments, they are made to be driven and enjoyed.
Old 2/18/13, 06:33 PM
GT Member

None of us will live long enough to resale and make money. Possible break even... maybe. (we only hope) The only person who will make money with the 2012 & 2013 Boss 302`s are not born yet.
Old 2/18/13, 08:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Yeah, I drive mine as a Sunday driver. Probably won't ever track it although I would love to at least once. I like driving fast. My only point with this post is, I see all the garaged Boss Mustang's from the Northern States. Seems like a cool thing as the mileage will be relatively low if you only drive it half the year. I was just comparing in my mind, the Southern State drivers that drive year round, but in a better climate (no snow or ice and no sand and salt). I plan on keeping my Boss for as long as I can drive a stick shift, so I am not "worried" about resale value, just wondering...

Dave
Old 2/19/13, 05:53 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
Originally Posted by fking1
To answer this Q, one must have a working crystal ball and a Genie with 3 wishes granted.
Come on people, get real!!!
Thats not a very nice reply
Old 2/19/13, 07:11 AM
Cobra Member

Location: NJ. Waiting for our Gov. to be held accountable for his actions>>>Jersey Broke
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
In thirty years from now Gas will be worth more money then one can afford making our Bosses value of little return. why not just drive the car and live a part of History in owning the best handling mustang built.
Old 2/19/13, 09:20 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
thats what I d /\ /\ its not going to matter what shape its in after your gone. Drive that thang
Old 2/20/13, 06:55 AM
Cobra R Member

Not by choice, but mine sits from last week of October to second week of April, if Im lucky.
Old 2/20/13, 09:01 AM
Bullitt Member

Go back 12 years ago...what if someone sat on a 2001 Bullitt Mustang, what would it be worth now? The "cool" factor is there, but a SE Mustang with only 265 horsepower....pass... It really makes me wonder what is next?
Old 2/20/13, 12:03 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by boss man
In thirty years from now Gas will be worth more money then one can afford making our Bosses value of little return. why not just drive the car and live a part of History in owning the best handling mustang built.
If anything oil will be flat to declining in price. The US and the rest of world has lots and lots of oil. We'll move on from oil as fuel well before we run out of it.

The real reason why Boss 302 or most other cars won't have much collector value is because in 20 years hardly anyone will drive. Autonomous cars exist today and are better drivers than the vast majority of human drivers.

Once autonomous cars become available, they will be shown be so much better and safer at driving than humans, consequently, it will become increasingly expensive to insure a car you drive yourself.

Anything we might recognize as a sports car will be a track day toy. Given the sad number of you ladies who don't track your Boss now, it's hard to imagine many will be tracked 20 years from now.

Enjoy them now while you can.

Last edited by Number23; 2/20/13 at 02:05 PM.
Old 2/20/13, 01:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Well said Butch, unfortunately total BS on all points.
Old 2/20/13, 02:41 PM
Xar
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Number23
If anything oil will be flat to declining in price. The US and the rest of world has lots and lots of oil. We'll move on from oil as fuel well before we run out of it.

The real reason why Boss 302 or most other cars won't have much collector value is because in 20 years hardly anyone will drive. Autonomous cars exist today and are better drivers than the vast majority of human drivers.

Once autonomous cars become available, they will be shown be so much better and safer at driving than humans, consequently, it will become increasingly expensive to insure a car you drive yourself.

Anything we might recognize as a sports car will be a track day toy. Given the sad number of you ladies who don't track your Boss now, it's hard to imagine many will be tracked 20 years from now.

Enjoy them now while you can.
20 years ago weren't we all supposed to have flying cars? Unless your crystal ball actually works, I'll believe it when I see it... :P
Old 2/20/13, 03:40 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Xar
20 years ago weren't we all supposed to have flying cars? Unless your crystal ball actually works, I'll believe it when I see it... :P
Seriously, do you follow any technology related news?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_driverless_car
In August 2012, the team announced that they have completed over 300,000 autonomous-driving miles (500 000 km) accident-free

Were already seeing declining interest in car among the those under 30. This demo will readily adopt this technology and it will grow faster than you think.

How many people would love car that picks them up on demand (by touching an icon on a smartphone) and take them to their destination autonomously while they relax watching a movie, browse the web or read on their tablet? When the car arrives it its destination, it goes off to pick up another person. The passenger has no concerns about parking or maintenance.

How many parents of teenagers would love a self driving car that only goes where it's ordered, can be recalled at any time and can be tracked with a smart phone?

How many long haul trucking firms would love a truck that drives itself, doesn't need sleep and doesn't need to be drug tested?

How many taxi cab companies would love a cab that doesn't need a driver?

How many? Lots and lots.

Google has more than enough resources to make this happen and every major manufacture is working on autonomous cars right now. Autonomous cars exist today, they work and they are the future.
Old 2/20/13, 04:47 PM
Xar
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I never said the technology didn't exist, and yes there are benefits on many aspects, and yes, it's possible in 20 years. all I said was I'll believe it when I see it.

this whole thing reminds me of WALL-E...
Old 2/20/13, 04:56 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Xar
I never said the technology didn't exist, and yes there are benefits on many aspects, and yes, it's possible in 20 years. all I said was I'll believe it when I see it.

this whole thing reminds me of WALL-E...
20yrs I wont even be around, enough typing back to waiting to enjoy and drive that crap out of it.

Quick Reply: Value question